Favourite ever draft pick

AndySG

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/22/2016 at 0:58 PM, AndySG said:

Which draft pick(s) that we made was your favourite AT THE TIME. I'm talking about all-time. No hindsight either. If you were running around the room high-fiving people when Konz came off the board then so be it. 

As most of you know, I have only been watching football for a few years. 2012 draft was my first and I didn't know anything about any prospects then, so I only have the last few years to choose from. 

I was a huge fan of the Ricardo Allen pick. I didn't think we would take him and didn't know if he would translate to the NFL but he was probably my favourite player in that draft so I was delighted. 

The other one would be Grady Jarrett. I thought he was a second round pick and prior to the draft had told a few people who wanted him on day 3 that they were living in a fantasy world. I'm not usually a fan of trading up but as soon as it said we were on the clock I was pretty confident he would be the pick. Tuggle reading it made it even better. 

Who did you guys love us picking?

it is not even close (ok, it is kind of close w/ Vick) - I know half of TATF is so young that they were babies or not born yet - but the day the Atlanta Falcons drafted Deion Sanders in 1989 was a very exciting day.  Back then most of your news still came from the local affiliates - Ch. 2, 5, 11 in Atlanta - and I remember watching the sports that night where the news cameras went to Atlanta Hartsfield airport to meet and greet Deion.  He was decked out in leather and gold chains from head-to-toe with his sunglasses and the questions were coming at Deion hard-n-fast - he was laughing/cracking jokes and you would have thought he was already a 10 year all-pro in the NFL.   Then of course, the first time he touches the ball on a punt return, he drops it, picks it up and returns it for a Touchdown  - and the rest.....as they say is history.    Deion was a great player but then he also had a great flair and style about him as well.   He is the only player to date that is the greatest player to ever play his position.

Drafting Deion Sanders was pure fun and was exhilarating!  The Dumb Smith owners let Deion walk back when the franchise tag was still in existence - Deion should have been a Falcon for life - he still might of ended up leaving but Falcons should have tried harder to keep him - they let him walk - and that, was a tragedy.

prime.jpg

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

This was an "at the time" question.   You think Julio/Beasley picks were more exciting than Deion/Vick?

I must admit, I was equally fired up over all of those players additions.  I was standing up pumping my fists for each one!

33 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

This was an "at the time" question.   You think Julio/Beasley picks were more exciting than Deion/Vick?

I wasnt a Falcons fan when Deion got drafted. He was one of the biggest reasons I started cheering for this **** show. 

Yeah, I was more excited about Julio than Vick. But I was also much more into football on a deeper level when Julio got drafted. Vick was exciting and awesome but I had seen Julio work the Gators as a freshman and I instantly knew he was going to be a stud. So when we were able to go get him it was terrific. 

I was actually partying with my buddies during that draft and was through half a sixer when the trade was finalized. My buddy is a Browns fan so we celebrated our trade by doing like 6 shots (one from every bottle we had). I got LIT that night. Slapped a law school administration member in the face, threw Ric Flair knife-edged chops around at like 5 people and woke up completely oblivious to what the **** had happened. 

It was awesome. 

I honestly wanted AJ Green over Julio, so I was happy, just not ecstatic. I loved Vick, but I wasn't huge on the draft at the time. I loved Tru as well, but was more so shocked that he was available.

Surprisingly, the one guy that had me extremely excited was Beasley. The rare athleticism combined with him being a homegrown talent had me on the "Beasley to Atlantey" train. Needless to say, I'm really hoping he turns out to be a Falcons great.

Vick....I was a fan before he got drafted but I was diehard to the grave once he was on board. I think I bought 5 Vick jerseys during his tenure here lol. Sad it had to end that way. 

Julio is a close second. I was out riding around when my cousin called me and told me about it. I thought he was playing with me at first and I was about to be pissed but once it was confirmed I was smiling the rest of the day. Couldn't wait for that season to start 

On Sunday, May 22, 2016 at 4:06 PM, JamDat21 said:

And for us to pick him up in the 2nd round?!?!..I was so excited..that was the year I realized not to overreact to drafting anyone!

Yea I remember being at work then coming home to find out who we drafted.  I was in pure disbelief.  Couldnt believe it.

The thing about the Deion Sanders pick was I just KNEW when we drafted him that he was going to be a Hall of Famer - if you would have told me when we drafted him that he would be the greatest cornerback of all time - I would have totally believed you at the time.

And he is - for my money, Deion Sanders is the best cornerback to ever walk the earth - and the FALCONS drafted him!!!

On 5/25/2016 at 0:20 PM, g-dawg said:

it is not even close (ok, it is kind of close w/ Vick) - I know half of TATF is so young that they were babies or not born yet - but the day the Atlanta Falcons drafted Deion Sanders in 1989 was a very exciting day.  Back then most of your news still came from the local affiliates - Ch. 2, 5, 11 in Atlanta - and I remember watching the sports that night where the news cameras went to Atlanta Hartsfield airport to meet and greet Deion.  He was decked out in leather and gold chains from head-to-toe with his sunglasses and the questions were coming at Deion hard-n-fast - he was laughing/cracking jokes and you would have thought he was already a 10 year all-pro in the NFL.   Then of course, the first time he touches the ball on a punt return, he drops it, picks it up and returns it for a Touchdown  - and the rest.....as they say is history.    Deion was a great player but then he also had a great flair and style about him as well.   He is the only player to date that is the greatest player to ever play his position.

Drafting Deion Sanders was pure fun and was exhilarating!  The Dumb Smith owners let Deion walk back when the franchise tag was still in existence - Deion should have been a Falcon for life - he still might of ended up leaving but Falcons should have tried harder to keep him - they let him walk - and that, was a tragedy.

prime.jpg

i remember that day well!!!!    But i have to admit,  i love Deion but..i thought he was gonna be a bust .....: (    ok I was  being honest