Report: It took some convincing to sell Atlanta Falcons Vic Beasley on his position change

Sponge

Report: It took some convincing to sell Atlanta Falcons DE/LB Vic Beasley on his position change

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2016/5/22/11735190/report-it-took-some-convincing-to-sell-atlanta-falcons-de-lb-vic

usa-today-8944227.0.jpg

The Atlanta Falcons did not make a mistake when they drafted Vic Beasley in the first round of last year's draft. In fact, given another year or two, Beasley's value will become readily apparent to anyone paying attention. That said, the cards were stacked against him last season. He was arguably playing out of position and we know he fought through a torn labrum. That's not exactly a recipe for success in your rookie year.

The Falcons know what Beasley does well, and that's why they approached him about changing his position this off-season. Given that there are three years remaining on his rookie contract, it's not like Beasley has a choice. (Put differently, he will play where they tell him to play.) But they put together a presentation and made a deliberate effort to sell him on the idea. At first, he apparently wasn't receptive. (Credit to the AJC's D. Orlando Ledbetter for the quote.)

"They showed Beasley film cut-ups of other strongside linebackers and told him how the change would fit his skill-set. "I kind of gave my word that I would do it," Beasley said, but he was not totally sold".

I can't really blame Beasley for his hesitance but I do respect his maturity. I also respect the coaching staff for taking the time to explain the change to him and making sure he knew that it has an intended purpose.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's true or maybe we are in another fantasy land article by D-Led.  At no point in any interview or any other interaction have I ever seen Beasley demonstrate any unwillingness to do what the coaches asked.  Ultimately, doesn't matter whether he needed convincing or not.

Oh, and, I feel like a broken record here, but, even though it's been made abundantly clear, and yet none of these "reporters" seem to get it,

He is not moving to SAM.

He will be playing some SAM and some LEO. They're moving him around to best utilize his skillset.

32 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Oh, and, I feel like a broken record here, but, even though it's been made abundantly clear, and yet none of these "reporters" seem to get it,

He is not moving to SAM.

He will be playing some SAM and some LEO. They're moving him around to best utilize his skillset.

But they are asking him to move to SAM on early downs that aren't obvious passing situations...

So there's a good chance he's going to be playing LB a lot more than he did last season, correct?

Lets say the team we're playing comes out in 11 personnel, (2 TEs), where does Beasley line up?  Where does he line up if one of the TEs then flex out wide?

33 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

But they are asking him to move to SAM on early downs that aren't obvious passing situations...

So there's a good chance he's going to be playing LB a lot more than he did last season, correct?

Lets say the team we're playing comes out in 11 personnel, (2 TEs), where does Beasley line up?  Where does he line up if one of the TEs then flex out wide?

They're just getting him on the field more. He only played 51% of the snaps last season. 

It seems like his job will still be 80% LEO.

Let's say he plays LEO in nickel.  That's 65% of snaps.

So, in the other 35% of snaps (base) let's say he plays SAM a little under 1/2 the time...that's 15% of snaps.

So he ends up with 80% of snaps, but 65 of those are still at LEO.

Beasley will play Sam in base sets and then move down to nickel DE. It is very similar to how Khalil Mack has been used since Ken Norton Jr.(who is also from the Seahawks coaching staff) became the Raiders DC. I think Beasley will still play some snaps at LEO as well.

On a side note, I wonder how Khalil Mack will be used now with Bruce Irvin on the same defense? Will he become more of a DE? I heard from some Raider fans that they ran some 3-4 at times last season, so maybe both Mack and Irvin will see more snaps as 3-4 OLBs?

1 hour ago, hjerry said:

He is not moving to SAM.

It just highlights the difference between 'reporters' and 'people who actually know what they're talking about'.  Generally speaking, there's not a lot of overlap.

Edited by JOEinPHX

51 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

They're just getting him on the field more. He only played 51% of the snaps last season. 

This. This. And some mo this. Quinn wants the best 11 on the field all the time and Beasley is probably the most physically gifted player we have on d. It just makes sense to have him on the field during obvious run situations. He will still rush the QB A LOT. I doubt they had to sell playing more to him. 

2 hours ago, takeitdown said:

So, in the other 35% of snaps (base) let's say he plays SAM a little under 1/2 the time...that's 15% of snaps.

In nickel he'll just be a DE but we'll probably run wide 9 to utilize his speed. 4-3 under is where the Leo is utilized so he'll be playing some LEO in base but also be playing SLB in base as well. Probably depends on who we're playing and who the LT we're facing is. Whatever puts him in an advantageous situation. 

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

In nickel he'll just be a DE but we'll probably run wide 9 to utilize his speed. 4-3 under is where the Leo is utilized so he'll be playing some LEO in base but also be playing SLB in base as well. Probably depends on who we're playing and who the LT we're facing is. Whatever puts him in an advantageous situation. 

Agreed.  I guess what I'm saying is, even if he runs nearly 1/2 the time at SLB in base...he's still mostly playing DE (I still call it LEO in nickel, though it isn't, but both DEs play like that in nickel)) since he'll be playing it nearly full time in nickel.

1 minute ago, takeitdown said:

Agreed.  I guess what I'm saying is, even if he runs nearly 1/2 the time at SLB in base...he's still mostly playing DE (I still call it LEO in nickel, though it isn't, but both DEs play like that in nickel)) since he'll be playing it nearly full time in nickel.

absolutely. It just keeps him on the field a lot more and guys like him get better as the game goes on. I'm actually thrilled at him playing some SLB. His rushing ability can be used there in passing situations as well as coverage ability. Now he's a true LEO. They'll be playing him kinda like Von Miller is used and Charles Haley in his elephant role. 

"They're moving Beasley to linebacker full time" is this season's version of "Shanahan has Matt Ryan running a read option offense."  It's so comically false that one wonders how so many people still believe it.

Oddly, D-Led's article doesn't bother me that much.  I can see Beasley needing some convincing to move from a primary pass rusher role to a primary edge-setter and occasional coverage or pass rusher role in our base defense.  But the fact remains, he was listed as an OLB last season (as the LEO will be this season), he's not really "moving" to linebacker in any event, and he certainly isn't moving there full time, since most of the time he'll be rushing in nickel looks. And I'll bet dollars to donuts that the SAM position will be blitzing a lot more this season, because I doubt they'd move Beasley there because they value his run defense and coverage skills. This is such a non-story.

3 hours ago, takeitdown said:

honestly I don't think 15% is a fair estimate. I'm betting he plays ~30% sam. We aren't in nickel 65% of the time, it's closer to 60%. That, combined with the fact that I think Vic will be at sam more than Reed if I had to guess. Beasley is surprisingly fluid in coverage, guessing Quinn likes that in him too.

Another case of DLed making **** up. I saw Beas answer the question and in no way shape or form did Beas act as if he needed convincing. I'm so sick of D'Led.... My god he is such a **** joke. He was probably just salty because Beas straight up laughed in his stupid *** face when he thought Beas had a pick against Tennessee instead of San Fran. Can we not get someone else to represent the team in the media? He reflects poorly on the team and his dumbass agenda with his articles bitching and moaning against the team all the time. **** that dude. 

4 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I get that.

What I was trying to illustrate was there are going to be times where the other teams are passing the ball and he's going to be in coverage instead of rushing the passer since he'll ever lined up as a linebacker.

4 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I get that.

What I was trying to illustrate was there are going to be times where the other teams are passing the ball and he's going to be in coverage instead of rushing the passer since he'll ever lined up as a linebacker.

Which is a good thing imo. With Clay playing LEO in base we'd still have a rusher coming off the end BUT we also have the ability to rush him from SLB as well instead of dropping in coverage. Really kinda like the 3-4 zone blitz concept **** Lebeau employed with the steelers. You don't know if he's coming or covering. I really like the concept. But if he does happen to drop its an extra split second the rush has to get to the qb because he held the ball a hair longer. 

23 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Which is a good thing imo. With Clay playing LEO in base we'd still have a rusher coming off the end BUT we also have the ability to rush him from SLB as well instead of dropping in coverage. Really kinda like the 3-4 zone blitz concept **** Lebeau employed with the steelers. You don't know if he's coming or covering. I really like the concept. But if he does happen to drop its an extra split second the rush has to get to the qb because he held the ball a hair longer. 

lebau for dear leader

1 hour ago, Kayoh said:

honestly I don't think 15% is a fair estimate. I'm betting he plays ~30% sam. We aren't in nickel 65% of the time, it's closer to 60%. That, combined with the fact that I think Vic will be at sam more than Reed if I had to guess. Beasley is surprisingly fluid in coverage, guessing Quinn likes that in him too.

I'm saying 40-50% of Sam in base.  Since base is only 35-40%, then a total of 15% of snaps at Sam, vs 60-65% of snaps at end in nickel.

Not saying he would only play 15% of Sam.

Agree otherwise.

Unless you're saying he'll get 75% of Sam snaps, as well as almost all nickel DE snaps, in which case I think that's more work than they'll give him.

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Which position is most advantageous for him from a sack perspective? 

My guess is DE. He's been a DE most of his life.

Can't be ecstatic about a move to SLB.

Sounding like Quinn wants him to be Bruce Irvin when he wants to be Cliff Avril.

Whatever happens we better get more than 19 sacks this year. North of 35 would be good.