Was Stupar was telling the truth about our fanbase?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I think what Stupar said can actually be used to describe many other teams' fan bases as well.

Bucs, Jags, and many other teams fans do not support their teams as much when they lose. Watch how the new found love for the Rams take a turn for the worse if they continue to lose now they are back in LA. It will be much worse than being perennial losers back St. Louis. 

There are very passionate fans in every teams fan base. It just all comes down to their team winning. Saints fans are a prime example of this as well. They will be back to being bagheads once the bottom fully falls out of the Payton/Brees era.

Yeah the only reason such a huge deal is being made here is because he said it about the Falcons. No one else probably cares. This is the only place I've seen it brought up again

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

The dome was louder for Vick when he played for the Eagles than they were @ any time during the Ryan era.....if that tells you anything.

I was at that game and just sat there in disbelief. I would have moved the team if I was Blank.

I was a season ticket holder for years, that was my last regular season game that I attended...

It was disgusting and I swore I would never go back to the dome in the regular season after that game.   I lived in Atlanta from 85-2005 and our fans are terrible. 

Truth hurts sometimes.

I was literally asked to sit down on 3rd down against the Pats..I used to have seats in Sec 126 Row 11 but can't afford them anymore..anyways, it's an endzone seat and I was standing up screaming my head off and a guy asks me to sit down bc he couldn't see...I looked him overto make sure there wasn't a reason he couldn't stand and get loud but he just said he didn't feel like it...needless to say I ignored him and screamed even louder!

All I know is that Stupar is not talking about me, because when I attend a game, I am excited to be there and I let it show. However, I see people at the games who are not passionate about the experience, who sit when they should stand and just don't really get the whole cheer your *** of sort of thing. We have a lot of lazy fans who can't get to their seat in time for kick off, who can't watch the game, who instead sit there talking to their neighbor. I'm no longer a STH (because of travel reasons), but when I was, there was a distinct difference between the Vick era and the Ryan era. The Vick era was electric and exciting. The Ryan era has had it's moments, but the roof doesn't get blown of the place like it did on that Monday night game against Philly with Vick and McKnabb, or the playoff game against the Panthers during that time, or any other number of games from the time Vick played. I will say though that the last year Vick played in Atlanta, the excitement was dwindling down. I've been to a lot of games that Ryan has played in, and I can only think of 3 or 4 games where the place got good and crazy, but I've seen far more Ryan games where people just couldn't get off their ***** for anything.

A Saints player said something about our fanbase, and a Saints troll posted it on our MB. Now our fans are making threads about the same continuing topic.

Y'all are letting the troll win people. 

Right now, Saints fans are laughing their ***** off at us.

smfh

The fact is that the Falcons are always behind the Dawgs, Jackets, Braves, in the pecking order of local sports teams.

For most of the locals it would take the Falcons winning the Super Bowl just for them to register as a team worth following. Couple this with the fact that for the decades before Blank took ownership of the team it was as hapless of an organization as there was in American professional sports. After Blank took over we've had the worst luck in the league... star quarterback goes to federal prison, new head coach leaves mid season, followed by a brief glimpse at relevance and then a corresponding backslide into mediocrity. Even when we were winning from 2010 to 2012 the narrative in the media was "but it's the Falcons, this can't last, right?"

In short, this team can be really hard to like. I still love em and will root for them no matter what, but I can see why the public at large isn't exactly enthralled with the product they've been putting out there.

I was in the dome when we squashed the Rams in the play-offs. It was electric.

Are we a finicky fan base? Most definitely. The Falcons, over their entire history, has taught us not to believe.

The true diehard fans will always remain while the casual fans will get the most recognition because they are a broader platform.

Win something....we'll all be there.

I've never been a fan of the censorship on this board but good lord there are so many children on here. There must be. No rational adult would just pretend that the best LB on our roster last season is a bad/irrelevant player just because he plays on a rival team now. It's either the dumbest, most immature move I've seen an adult make in a long time, or it's just typical, acceptable behavior for a child.

20 hours ago, Deep2Julio said:

Bears fans took over the dome about two years ago, I was there. It was embarrassing. Falcons fans looked at me weird when i was up screaming my heart out for defense. I just don't know about our fans.

This. Casual fans might as well watch the game at home if they don't want to try and help out at the stadium.

I've gone to the last 4 Saints/Falcs games at the Super Dome and I have to admit Stupar is correct. That fan base down there gets loud and out of there minds. I'm a 16 year season ticket holder and the things I've noticed  is that we get loud early in the game but then fizzle, and then get loud towards the end if the game is on the line. But in the 3rd quarter you can hear a pin drop. So we get hype in waves. It's even strange when it's quite and the big screen asks us to get loud we have this attitude of "oh ok, if you want us to". I don't think we are lazy or not passionate enough as fans, but it's more of a quite nervousness of observation. 

At the super dome they just keep the screaming consistent so it never goes away. I remember 4-5 years ago at the Super Dome we got destroyed and Brees was breaking some TD record that night. The game was over by halftime but the crowed kept it going all the way to the end and nobody left. I remember thinking that when we blow teams out in our Dome people start looking around thinking "Should I leave now or wait for a few more people to get up".

I'm not saying we are bad fans or not into it like the Saints fans are, but there is a difference between us and them. Maybe Saints fans live for Sundays and have nowhere else to be and we fit the game in between Church and Sunday dinner gatherings. 

17 hours ago, Kayoh said:

I've never been a fan of the censorship on this board but good lord there are so many children on here. There must be. No rational adult would just pretend that the best LB on our roster last season is a bad/irrelevant player just because he plays on a rival team now. It's either the dumbest, most immature move I've seen an adult make in a long time, or it's just typical, acceptable behavior for a child.

Gotta stop you right there....it doesn't matter WHO it is (Matt Ryan, Roddy White, Julio Jones, Desmond Trufant, and the list goes on and on), if they leave the Falcons and go to the Saints then they are trash, dead to me, hot garbage, so on and so forth. I support the Atlanta Falcons and despise the Saints, so yes, when someone leaves MY team and goes to my arch rival AND talks **** on the way out, I tend to get a bit " irrational, immature, dumb" or whatever adjective that you would like to use. That makes me a fan, nothing less, nothing more.

Oh, and btw, the 2 likes you have for your comment is from a saint's fan and a well known message board malcontent....just saying.

13 minutes ago, crimsonhawk said:

Gotta stop you right there....it doesn't matter WHO it is (Matt Ryan, Roddy White, Julio Jones, Desmond Trufant, and the list goes on and on), if they leave the Falcons and go to the Saints then they are trash, dead to me, hot garbage, so on and so forth. I support the Atlanta Falcons and despise the Saints, so yes, when someone leaves MY team and goes to my arch rival AND talks **** on the way out, I tend to get a bit " irrational, immature, dumb" or whatever adjective that you would like to use. That makes me a fan, nothing less, nothing more.

Oh, and btw, the 2 likes you have for your comment is from a saint's fan and a well known message board malcontent....just saying.

I don't care who liked my comment, I stand by it. I hate the Saints too but that doesn't mean I suddenly start acting irrationally just because a player I liked ends up there. I can still root for Stupar and even Davis Tull who I loved as a prospect last year. Doesn't make me a Saints fan or a bad Falcons fan or anything like that, it's called compartmentalization.