Sanu signing-good job

BCurt57

I agree with its weird to say we overpaid before Sanu plays. I completely disagree with some opinions on what we need from Sanu to make him worth it. The point this year is balance. Matt completed 407 passes last year. Way too many imo but let's roll with it.

Thats 25 per game. Give Julio 10. Give Devonta/Cole 3. Give Tam/Hoop 4. Give Hardy 3. Am I being conservative enough? That leaves Sanu catching 5. That's what we need from him all things being equal. He'll backup returns. He'll block. He'll give us flea flickers. He'll spread the field. I really like Tamme but there is no denying how talented and natural Hooper looks. Devonta is a top 3 backfield receiver. We merge Sanu this year. We target a high pick/rookie contract at WR next year. Sanu was a very smart pickup. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, BCurt57 said:

I agree with its weird to say we overpaid before Sanu plays. I completely disagree with some opinions on what we need from Sanu to make him worth it. The point this year is balance. Matt completed 407 passes last year. Way too many imo but let's roll with it.

Thats 25 per game. Give Julio 10. Give Devonta/Cole 3. Give Tam/Hoop 4. Give Hardy 3. Am I being conservative enough? That leaves Sanu catching 5. That's what we need from him all things being equal. He'll backup returns. He'll block. He'll give us flea flickers. He'll spread the field. I really like Tamme but there is no denying how talented and natural Hooper looks. Devonta is a top 3 backfield receiver. We merge Sanu this year. We target a high pick/rookie contract at WR next year. Sanu was a very smart pickup. 

My thoughts exactly were probably gonna draft a sub 4.4 in the 3rd/4th next year and draft or sign a RG and our offense will be complete.

I do too. Guy drops balls-really works to fix it. QB-really works to be a receiver. Steps up when guys go down. Blocks his azz off. Matt needs speed out there. Loved Roddy but it was time. I think Shanahan who seems odd at times, and difficult, has been pretty classy about not responding or pointing out Roddy's  weaknesses which may have included not really learning the playbook

1 minute ago, Madness21 said:

Why pay that much for a #2 receiver if that's all you're gonna get out of him. We can get that from Hester......I don't get it. I'd rather have Roddy White or someone. That's not enough contribution for a #2 imo. 

A lot of what sanu does isn't going to show up on a stat sheet. He's an extremely physical blocker as well as a threat for a few big trick plays a year. He had two passing TDs last year I believe. 

We needed a physical receiver on crossing routes and a red zone target. So in that sense we got what we needed. As far as what we paid, yes it was clearly too much based on his career up to this point.

I also would be suprised if he all of a sudden becomes an 80 reception receiver. The best season of his career he had 56 rec, 790 yds, and 5 tds. Last season he had 33 rec, 390 yds, 0 tds. 

Answer this- if Sanu matches the best season of his career and puts up 3.5 catches per game, 50 yards per game, and 5 tds- is he worth $7million per year? It dont add up.

7 minutes ago, Madness21 said:

Why pay that much for a #2 receiver if that's all you're gonna get out of him. We can get that from Hester......I don't get it. I'd rather have Roddy White or someone. That's not enough contribution for a #2 imo. 

We can't get anything from Hester. we can't get anything from Roddy White either. 

5 receptions a game is 80 catches. At 12 yards per catch, that's 960 yards. That's a good #2 season. 

He did. And they ran him out of the backfield a bit. I've never seen a receiver in the NFL with Hans as bad as Hankerson but his speed made him an easy target for Matt. 

*edit-guy who said you can never have too many completions is dead right. I'd like more running if only because it usually means we aren't always behind and zone run blocking exhausts certain D lines

The point of what he cost is that the money would have been better spent elsewhere. OG was a big need. We gave Chester 2.8mil. Mike Iupati got 8mil/yr. We could've signed him for 5.2 more instead. IMO it would make a bigger impact on our offense.

1 minute ago, maxatlanta said:

The point of what he cost is that the money would have been better spent elsewhere. OG was a big need. We gave Chester 2.8mil. Mike Iupati got 8mil/yr. We could've signed him for 5.2 more instead. IMO it would make a bigger impact on our offense.

1) Mike Iupati signed a deal last year.....he wasnt a free agent this year. 

2) OG was not a bigger need than WR2. 

3) Alex Mack goes a long way toward limiting the need at Guard. Barring acquiring a DOMINANT guard, you're not likely to see a big impact. There was one dominant guard in this FA class and he got like $12m a year. 

1 hour ago, maxatlanta said:

We needed a physical receiver on crossing routes and a red zone target. So in that sense we got what we needed. As far as what we paid, yes it was clearly too much based on his career up to this point.

I also would be suprised if he all of a sudden becomes an 80 reception receiver. The best season of his career he had 56 rec, 790 yds, and 5 tds. Last season he had 33 rec, 390 yds, 0 tds. 

Answer this- if Sanu matches the best season of his career and puts up 3.5 catches per game, 50 yards per game, and 5 tds- is he worth $7million per year? It dont add up.

Yeah I've always heard, you pay in free agency for what someone is going to do, not what they've done in the past.  And he hasn't done a lot and I like the sign, just not what they paid. But like others have said. There weren't a whole lot of options 

Edited by Diesel_Bird

43 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

Intangibles...I think if Sanu's presence increases Julio's production, it will be worth it... let's face it, nobody was too worried about Roddy last year

Why do people think that "balance" is inherently better?

I think "balance" may be correlated to winning but I don't think it's particularly causative to winning. When you're winning, you typically run the ball more. Which gives the impression of balance. But a ton of teams thrive with offenses based on the passing attack...because passing the ball is inherently more efficient than running the ball. 

I think we should do whats working. If the run game is working and the pass game is working, we'll be in a good place. But this notion of "well, we need to run the ball 30 times to win" is misplaced, IMO. Winning may allow us to rush the ball 30 times. Doesnt necessarily work that way the other way around.