Vic Beasley preparing for move to SAM linebacker

The Atlanta Falcons are transitioning Vic Beasley from his role as a LEO pass rusher last season to SAM (strongside) linebacker.

"It's off to a great start," Beasley said of the change, via the team's official website. "I just know that it's a new position. I played a little bit of linebacker in college, but it's different in the league; there's more responsibility. But I'm off to a great start with it. ... I'm pretty sure in the game plan they'll use me in rushing and obviously dropping back, going back and forth."

Beasley will essentially fill the role that Bruce Irvin thrived in when Falcons coach Dan Quinn coordinated the Seattle Seahawks' defense. Beasley struggled as a rookie against the run. In the SAM role, the athletic defender will be in space to make plays, rather than immediately getting latched onto by an offensive lineman.

Interestingly enough, before Beasley was selected No. 8 overall in 2015, NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein compared Beasley favorably to Irvin. (Too bad the Falcons don't have clones of Michael Bennett andCliff Avril as well.)

While Beasley is capable in coverage, the Falconsdropping their best pass rusher even 75-100 times is a mistake -- before leaving Seattle, Irvin complained he wasn't allowed to rush the passer enough in that role. Given that Beasley is their most talented pass rusher, Atlanta needs the second-year player getting after the quarterback most downs.

Moving Beasley to linebacker certainly upgrades a putrid LB unit, however, questions are created at defensive end. Among changes to fill the gap,Ra'Shede Hageman is expected to move over on the defensive line.

The position switches, along with adding Derrick Shelby should make the Falcons' defense much more stout against the run. Regardless of Beasley's position, we still have significant concerns about Atlanta's ability to consistently disrupt the passer.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000663745/article/vic-beasley-preparing-for-move-to-sam-linebacker

Edited by Sidecar Falcon

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried to tell yall during the draft process that Beasley was garbage against the run and lacked pass rush technique.  A speed rush will only get you so far.  Im glad that they arent wasting time trying to let him develop as a defensive end.

I still stand behind Gregory as having better physical intangibles and technique in both run and pass situations.  Between the ears, however, is where Gregory fails with flying colors.

At least we know for a fact what position we'll be drafting in the 1st round next year.

This off-season continues to get more interesting. With Beasley moving to SAM, where does that leave Upshaw and Reed? Is Clayborn the full time leo now with Shelby or Hageman on the other side? Ishmael at linebacker sounds interesting too.

Regardless, I like we are creating a lot of depth in all the front seven positions. This off-season, more than any other, is going to cause a lot of surprise cuts. This is gradually morphing in to a a new defense....for better or for worse. 

Most entertaining off-season ever lol

Edited by ShadyRef

10 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Tried to tell yall during the draft process that Beasley was garbage against the run and lacked pass rush technique.  A speed rush will only get you so far.  Im glad that they arent wasting time trying to let him develop as a defensive end.

I still stand behind Gregory as having better physical intangibles and technique in both run and pass situations.  Between the ears, however, is where Gregory fails with flying colors.

At least we know for a fact what position we'll be drafting in the 1st round next year.

A big reason why people didn't want Gregory is because of exactly what has happened to him, even quicker than most probably expected.  I'd probably stop bringing him up if it were me.

He had zero sacks in 244 snaps either way.

Why do people think Vic is going to be a full time SAM? According to Quinn Vic will play both SAM and LEO.

I have to give the coaches a lot of credit for trying to figure out ways to get the best athletes on the field on all downs.

Edited by FentayeJones

I doubt anyone is surprised by this announcement.    I was surprised that Vic was asked to perform from the DE position last season.  He did a reasonably good job as a rookie playing out of position.    

Beasley is basically a younger version of Bruce Irvin.  You can even argue that Vic has a much quicker first step than Irvin.  The main thing to realize is that, as a SLB, Vic will now be playing in space and will be able to shoot gaps with a lot less interference from OL's.  I am looking forward to seeing VB harass QB's on a regular basis.    

Something to keep in mind with all this is next year's draft.  I was listening to Mel Kipers radio show last Saturday and he was raving about all the pass rushers coming out next year.  I know TD has come out before and said they look at the following draft class as they make personnel decisions.  We may be in for another season of no pass rush, but hopefully help is coming soon.

32 minutes ago, Phrootdawg said:

Best pass rusher will be dropping back in coverage......genius. 19 sacks here we come

Yes Beasley will be dropping back into coverage more, but he will still rush the QB a lot as well.

Both Von Miller(played as 4-3 SLB until 2015) and Khalil Mack(rotates between DE and SLB) plays/played at SLB and still were highly productive pass rushers. They also showed some decent coverage skills as well and made plays in coverage also.

Beasley will be used as a SLB/nickel DE and still will probably spend some snaps at the LEO.

6 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

Creating an alt to like all of your posts and be just as negative as you is the oldest trick in the book. 

You clearly don't take pride in what you do, you need to step your troll game up. 

1 hour ago, FentayeJones said:

Why do people think Vic is going to be a full time SAM? According to Quinn Vic will play both SAM and LEO.

I have to give the coaches a lot of credit for trying to figure out ways to get the best athletes on the field on all downs.

37 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Yes Beasley will be dropping back into coverage more, but he will still rush the QB a lot as well.

Both Von Miller(played as 4-3 SLB until 2015) and Khalil Mack(rotates between DE and SLB) plays/played at SLB and still were highly productive pass rushers. They also showed some decent coverage skills as well and made plays in coverage also.

Beasley will be used as a SLB/nickel DE and still will probably spend some snaps at the LEO.

This is what I am expecting as well.  Beasley will play SLB on run downs, and then move to RDE / LDE on passing downs.  It's very similar to how the Seahawks used Irvin and how the Raiders are using Mack.

The people that are confused by this still dont understand the scheme. Vic will play more snaps and alternate standing up and hand in the dirt. We can be creative with Beasley and use his strengths. Quinn knows exactly what he is doing. Think Khalil Mack he only had for sacks his rookie year also. Turned up year two playing the same role. 

7 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

You realize physical intangibles is an oxymoron, right?

It's just good coaching. He needs space and to play downhill. It'll be hard for a guard to reach him, let alone lay on him. And a few times a game a tackle will have to deal with him outside Clay, Shelby, even Hage. Makes total sense to put him in run support rather than front line. 

8 hours ago, PK Manley said:

A big reason why people didn't want Gregory is because of exactly what has happened to him, even quicker than most probably expected.  I'd probably stop bringing him up if it were me.

He had zero sacks in 244 snaps either way.

Before his injury he was playing very well.  You can bet that had a lot to do with why his numbers were limited.

1 minute ago, KRUNKuno said:

Before his injury he was playing very well.  You can bet that had a lot to do with why his numbers were limited.

You admitted he's a ******* moron, which means he likely won't succeed at this level.  Again, step up your troll game, you're slacking.