Better Drafters Since 2008: New England or Atlanta?

Better Drafters Since 2008? New England or Atlanta?   

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which team has drafted better from 2009 to present?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Jerry Maguire said:

We certainly haven't outsmarted the Patriots. Have we drafted better, though?

I don't know, but they've made the playoffs for the last 15 years pretty much.  Just saying...you can spin it anyway you want, but we need to prove it on the field if we want to be in the conversation with those teams.

3 hours ago, PK Manley said:

I don't know, but they've made the playoffs for the last 15 years pretty much.  Just saying...you can spin it anyway you want, but we need to prove it on the field if we want to be in the conversation with those teams.

To be fair, he didn't spin anything. Just posted the drafts and let you arrive at your own conclusion. 

Could see this thought process being skewed by fan bias, though. Since we'll know way more of our draftees and minor contributors than the Patriots. 

4 hours ago, PK Manley said:

I think they've probably won more games than anyone in that period.

I like our team, but I'm not going to act like we're outsmarting the Patriots at this point.

This.

Anyone who thinks we are close to NE in any category are just fooling themselves.Still the best franchise in the league by a ways I'd say.

The Patriots are not great at drafting. They are great at coaching, though. Dante Scarnecchia has been able to get a ton out of late round and undrafted offensive linemen and Belichick has been able to get a ton out of late round and undrafted defensive backs. The Falcons coaches have generally needed players with legit talent to succeed. The Patriots are able to succeed with players of lesser talent. 

11 hours ago, PK Manley said:

I don't think that's the point here.  I sincerely don't think anybody is foolish enough to even pretend that Atlanta is the better team. 

To me I'm taking the op's point as keeping some perspective in mind.  I think it's a good one too.  Nobody can question the patriots' greatness.  They have a hof coach and qb, and that's probably not even giving them enough credit either.  That's kinda part of the point here though,  if it weren't for the greatness in place in New England those draft misses they've had would be a killer.  Instead they have greatness that can help overcome any ineptitude draft wise to an extent.  Imo, if you took the patriots' draft over the last 6-8 years and swapped their exact picks, decisions  and context with ours this fan base would be absolutely crushing TD even MORE than they have with our actual picks.  I think many around here have issues keeping perspective when comparisons are brought up.  That can go both ways to be fair,  but I don't think you need to look at any and all comparisons in a vacuum.  Instead of seeing a comparison with the patriots and thinking,  "this guy is crazy!" Let's look at the context and see where a little perspective takes us.  In this case,  we can gain some perspective by realizing that even the best and most consistent team in the league has some bad stretches drafting. 

I mean,  take a look at just how bad New England has been at drafting wrs AND lineman.  They've got a few decent picks,  with a bevy of really bad ones. That's WITH having arguably the best coach of the last 20 years too!  

Ps, pkmanly this wasn't all just a response to you.  Just wanted to make that clear. 

2 hours ago, darealist said:

Man you guys think Bryan Scott could be our Kam Chancellor?

lmao at our names. i went to georgia southern as well.

and it doesn't really matter who the patiots draft if they can still coach nobodies into a dominant team. having tom brady under center doesnt hurt either.

Edited by The_Realist

Based on drafts alone, we have done better.

What separates NE from every other team in the league is how they utilize the players in their scheme, their FA acquisitions , and the way they put together their offense/defense. This is something that they do at an extremely high level and are able to do consistently. 

They have had a system in place for longer than almost any other team. They don't stick to one way of playing, they keep you guessing every game. They manage to get the most out of seemingly average players. They are the epitome of how to build a team. 

What some people fail to understand on these boards is that the NFL Draft is only one part of how to build your team. And if the evidence presented is any indication, you can not have they most amazing drafts and still be in the running every year.

It's not always about drafting, especially when it comes to the playoffs. 

a) Tom Brady is in the conversation for GOAT. That alone can win you superbowls with a decent supporting cast. There's very very few QBs in the entire league I would trade Matt Ryan for, but he can't win superbowls like Brady can. Few in league history can.

b ) Belichick outcoaches everyone almost every game. You can cover a lot of talent deficiency with that level of coaching.

c) Belichick doesn't waste resources on cheap talent positions like RB. He picked Blount off the scrap heap to dominate playoffs and got Dion Lewis as an UDFA. 

d) The Pats won only one Super Bowl in the last decade and that was after paying up for Revis.

Belichick isn't a good drafter but he is the RARE exception that doesn't have to be. He also gets so many picks that he doesn't have to be right that often.