Sacks Definitely Matter

We've now heard Blank, Smitty and Quinn allude to the notion that sacks don't matter and may be overrated. Hits and hurries may be underrated, but sacks aint overrated. Trust me. When you're the worst team in the league at sacking the QB, of course they don't matter. That's a PR statement aimed at masking a long term problem with the hope of creating optimism. Sacks matter. When you sack a QB there is no pass attempt, a loss of yards and maybe a takeaway. QBs pass on hits and hurries and quite effectively against us.

When you examine the sack numbers of the last 20 Super Bowl Champs they averaged 44 a year. We've averaged a paltry 29 in the eight year Dimi era and are coming off a franchise and league worst 19 sacks. Buddy's teams have never eclipsed the 34 sacks they got in 2008, thanks to 30 by the players he inherited from McKay. One of the major reasons we went 18-30 and missed the last three postseasons is because we dropped to a 24 sack average. That's a roster building blunder that we're still trying to recover from.

Quinn knows sacks matter. His 2013 SEA defense had 44 the year they won the Bowl. DEN racked up a whopping 52 last year when they curb stomped Cam. We are at least 20 sacks away from where we need to be. That's a chasm with Beasley, Clayborn and Shelby as our saviors. So far it looks like our strategy is to concentrate on the back end and hope for coverage sacks. Good luck with that against the QBs we'd have to face in the regular season and playoffs. Be fast, be physical and sack the dam quarterback.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, how many times have you watched Brees get sacked on 2nd and 8  and then throw for 15 yards on 3rd and 14? Way too many times.

There was a game a few years ago where Ware got 4 sacks on Vick, when Vick was the Eagles QB, Eagles won the game by 2 TDs, because, unless Ware got there, Vick had all day to throw.

You realize Belicheck says the same thing about fans overrating sacks, right? That Smith and Quinn aren't saying sacks are worthless, just that fans put too much emphasis on sacks and not enough on constant pressure.

And, who would you have picked up, either in FA or the draft this year that would have made a difference?

Sacks are great but when you get a sack is the most important. 3rd down sacks get you the ball back. But an incompletion on 3rd down does the same thing. Look... I love sacks but that does not automatically win games. Pressure, incompletions, turnovers are all ways to get the ball back. 3rd down stops is more important and there are many ways to do it. Sacks are not the only way. 

Just now, Falcon918 said:

Sacks are great but when you get a sack is the most important. 3rd down sacks get you the ball back. But an incompletion on 3rd down does the same thing. Look... I love sacks but that does not automatically win games. Pressure, incompletions, turnovers are all ways to get the ball back. 3rd down stops is more important and there are many ways to do it. Sacks are not the only way. 

I much rather get a incompletion on third and long than a sack on first or second down. 

Didn't read, Don't want to, Don't need to

Posters don't say sacks don't matter

Quinn doesn't say sacks don't matter

Smith didn't say sacks don't matter

The point is and has always been that it's more complicated than just sacks

Thread is stupid and pointless, though I'm not surprised given the OP

Just now, hjerry said:

Posters don't say sacks don't matter

Quinn doesn't say sacks don't matter

Smith didn't say sacks don't matter

The point is and has always been that it's more complicated than just sacks

This is and always has been the point. 

Show me a person on here who doesn't want the Falcons to get more sacks and maybe then we can have a discussion. Pressure doesn't always equal sacks and that has always been the point. Consistent pressure on the QB>sacks.

27 minutes ago, falconfansince66 said:

I much rather get a incompletion on third and long than a sack on first or second down. 

29 minutes ago, Falcon918 said:

OK we were 17th in takeaways, 27th in third down defense and 32nd in sacks. Against some halfassed offenses. Lack of sacks was a major reason.

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

OK we were 17th in takeaways, 27th in third down defense and 32nd in sacks. Lack of sacks was a major reason.

Don't dispute the lack of sacks being a problem.  I'd like to think we'd had another ten if it wasn't for the GAPING HOLE for TE's and RB's to totally expose. Maybe even another four-six takeaways. 

5 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

OK we were 17th in takeaways, 27th in third down defense and 32nd in sacks. Lack of sacks was a major reason.

Lack of 3rd down stops was the problem. No one is arguing that we need more sacks. Only thing most is trying to say is sacks are not the most important thing. Third down defense and passes thrown to RBs correlate. I love to see the other team punting more than sacks. But thats just me.

Edited by Falcon918

9 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

This is and always has been the point. 

Show me a person on here who doesn't want the Falcons to get more sacks and maybe then we can have a discussion. Pressure doesn't always equal sacks and that has always been the point. Consistent pressure on the QB>sacks.

OK let's pretend nobody said sacks don't matter, or sacks are overrated, the fact is sacks do matter and aint overrated.

We can't get a QB on the ground. Why?

2 minutes ago, falconfansince66 said:

I hope Hags becomes one! 

Me too. If he can play like he played against CAR(gm 2) then we have a poor man's Wilkerson.....speaking of Muhammad I would trade nxt years 1st for him now lol