Temperature records smashed for the 7th month in a row

dmo_dlo

For the seventh month in a row, monthly Earth temperature records going back to 19th century have been smashed after our warmest April on record.

This last February was a global average of 1.35 degrees celsius warmer than the 50-year climatology; a number that is unimaginably beyond the statistical variability on record.

15 (out of 16) of the years in the 21st century have been among the warmest 16 years on record.

Of course this is an El Nino year, but this $hit is getting serious faster than scientists had feared. 

Edited by dmo_dlo

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, dmo_dlo said:

For the seventh month in a row, monthly Earth temperature records going back to 19th century have been smashed after our warmest April on record.

This last February was a global average of 1.35 degrees celsius warmer than the 50-year climatology; a number that is unimaginably beyond the statistical variability on record.

15 (out of 16) of the years in the 21st century have been among the warmest 16 years on record.

Of course this is an El Nino year, but this $hit is getting serious faster than scientists had feared. 

I just bought a battery powered blower for my yard work, thinking of moving to an electric mower, and I'm starting to jones for a Tesla.  Is there more we can do, OP, or do we just enjoy the slide and look forward to Atlanta being waterfront property in about thirty years?

11 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I just bought a battery powered blower for my yard work, thinking of moving to an electric mower, and I'm starting to jones for a Tesla.  Is there more we can do, OP, or do we just enjoy the slide and look forward to Atlanta being waterfront property in about thirty years?

At 1,000 feet above sea level (give or take), we aren't likely to become waterfront property anytime soon, but we should be preparing for the influx of people moving away from the coasts. 

10 minutes ago, dozer said:

That's what the climate does & has always done, it changes.

btw, there were record low temps in NJ yesterday.

I didn't really want to discuss until this was moved to the proper forum (sorry Mods) but your statement is incorrect. Climate changes naturally but within limits of natural variability that is expected. What we see is unprecedented and therefore unexpected. It also doesn't change the main point that greenhouse gases make the Earth warmer than what would've been without them; that much is indisputable. 

As for record lows, the main feature of a changing climate is having extremes, so you will have unprecedented cold and heat waves, and possibly extreme storms, etc 

12 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

That's very responsible of you, and on the personal responsibility front, maybe there isn't much more to do. Maybe if your climate is suitable, solar panels would be an option too to do our personal bit. Obviously, our life style is where the problem is; we (myself included) like large houses that need to be cooled/heated, large enough that they are likely to be in suburbs, where we have to drive our powerful cars for a long distance, etc. It's not reasonable to expect individuals to drastically change their life style, so it has to be a societal change, and that's why economic instruments like carbon tax may be useful in the long term. There may also be a feasible technological solution in the form of a breakthrough (renewables or carbon capture/sequestration) but who knows when that may come. 

32 minutes ago, dozer said:

That's what the climate does & has always done, it changes.

btw, there were record low temps in NJ yesterday.

This is what you never hear, it's always lies and half truths. You never hear about all the vegetation that has grown back over the globe due to more CO2 that is what plants breath. 

What about all those predictions of more hurricanes? News won't tell you we've expierenced one of the mildest several year stretch in recorded history on these.

So many past predications have already been proven wrong, so many studies have been falsified to make things look worse than they really are, even officials in the UN have said on hot mics the movement is all about globalization and wealth transfer.... They've been caught admitting what the scam is all about.

how many times do people have to be lied to before they start questioning the information on any subject?

everyone believes in climate change, it's been changing ever since the Big Bang.  The lies and half truths are astounding on this subject

2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

This is what you never hear, it's always lies and half truths. So many past predications have already been proven wrong, so many repeats have been falsified, even officials in the UN have said on hot mics the movement is all about globalization and wealth transfer.... They've been caught admitting what the scam is all about.

What lies and half truths? These extreme temperatures have been recorded by NASA and all meteorological organizations around the world. That would slightly beat your word on the reliability front. That would change of course if you have any evidence to show!

Just now, Dirtybird56 said:

I'm all for data, and not trying to argue climate change isn't happening, but we only have like 200 years of recorded data on the earth's climate no? That is so incredibly minuscule a sample it's hard to use for comparison 

ice cores etc. the problem is we have the ability to get off fossil fuels and better alternatives to dumb *** solar panels that raise the ground temperature more than a nation driving hummers and bird killing wind farms, but you are all profane and not ready for the technology according to the powers that be

4 minutes ago, dmo_dlo said:

What lies and half truths? These extreme temperatures have been recorded by NASA and all meteorological organizations around the world. That would slightly beat your word on the reliability front. That would change of course if you have any evidence to show!

Yes, the weather has happened. We are al, in agreement weather has been happening. 

The only, question is whether increased CO2 is going to cause the catastrophes politicians and government funded scientists claim is happening. This is where the lies and half truth are, claiming gloom and doom and linking it to CO2. 

Have you not noticed many of the catastrophic predictions from 10 and 15 years ago have already been proven wrong? 

2 minutes ago, FalconsInstitutionalSize said:

ice cores etc. the problem is we have the ability to get off fossil fuels and better alternatives to dumb *** solar panels that raise the ground temperature more than a nation driving hummers and bird killing wind farms, but you are all profane and not ready for the technology according to the powers that be

Ice cores? I don't know much about this stuff but I assume the idea is similar to carbon dating. And IIRC there have been numerous times in earth's history where we've had extreme climate changes no?

Just now, Dirtybird56 said:

Ice cores? I don't know much about this stuff but I assume the idea is similar to carbon dating. And IIRC there have been numerous times in earth's history where we've had extreme climate changes no?

yes exactly. further there is no evidence that hasn't been tampered with that provides evidence that"man made global climate change" exists.

if they really ca

3 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

I'm all for data, and not trying to argue climate change isn't happening, but we only have like 200 years of recorded data on the earth's climate no? That is so incredibly minuscule a sample it's hard to use for comparison 

That is true and a fair point. And there have been periods of climate change (cooling) in the past unrelated to change in greenhouse gas concentrations that run on longer temporal scales that a couple centuries. These are some points I can think of:

- There are temperature records going back hundreds of thousands of years through proxy measurements. They are however less reliable than the recent record. 

- The increase in the recorded temperature coincides with industrialization and the subsequent increase in CO2 and other GHG emissions. 

- This could very much be part of a natural cycle, to some extent. But what is indisputable is that having the extra greenhouse gases in the atmosphere makes it warmer than what it would have been without. There is no question about that, no uncertainty, no scientific dispute. Having increased GHGs due to industrialization causes a sizeable warming without a doubt. How big that warming is, or how much of that is man-made has uncertainty. But we are making the planet warmer beyond any doubt.