Jake Matthews

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have equally been fine with either one of them. Had we taken Mack, we likely would have still needed a quality LT in 2015.

BTW, I had to take a deep breath before opening this thread. After reading about Buffalo (with Lawson and Watkins having surgery), I was expecting to read something bad about Matthews. I'm more skittish about injuries in the off season than I am during the season.

Im a big fan ... Has always been one .The guy is a dog... But yea man.. It feels good to finally have young talented guys on the O-Line.. especially at LT.

Cant lie i was a little scared before the season.. I thought he would improve but i didnt know how much because the guy was coming off the foot injured.. He mainly went thru rehab during the offseason.

So we should see even more improvement  from this offseason.

If things can shake out good for us... This last 3 or 4 drafts should help us start to truly get past some of those past bad picks in older drafts

1 hour ago, raysnill1 said:

with Matthews, Schraeder, and Mack and a full season of Levitre all we need is one of our other linemen to be solid at RG and we could have a dominate O-line.

I'm hoping against all common sense that Schweitzer will be a surprise and play well. That would be a huge get.

12 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

You have to admit he doesn't compare to the type of players like Mack or Donald, but he is very good for us at a high priority position. 

Who cares. It's a miracle we landed him without trading up or down and he was an area of need. He's a much better than average LT and can swing to RT as well. He also was a top player at his position last year in his second season. Would I have liked to have gotten Mack? Sure. Would I give up Jake and probably 2 other first rounders to get him (which it very well could've costed had we traded up for him.)? Not a chance.

49 minutes ago, FenixFalcon said:

Who cares. It's a miracle we landed him without trading up or down and he was an area of need. He's a much better than average LT and can swing to RT as well. He also was a top player at his position last year in his second season. Would I have liked to have gotten Mack? Sure. Would I give up Jake and probably 2 other first rounders to get him (which it very well could've costed had we traded up for him.)? Not a chance.

Umm ok

5 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I see we don't talk about him much. I was very upset we didn't get Mack that year, but was grateful we could move on from having poor LT quality. Seems we are good at OL for a while and hopefully SS and LB as well.

Good post.

JM was always going to be there for us to take...safe prudent choice.  It was the obvious and the right decision IMHO.

When KM was still on the board one pick ahead of us...I got anxious.

Can you imagine the epic discussions on TATF about whether we should have drafted JM or KM?

I'm not sure what the front office should do in that scenario...both players/positions were of desperate need.

One of the main reasons I'm excited for this season. With Julio officially being the man, and our offense having an o-line to give some longer developing routes time, and there emergence of Freeman with a lightning quick Coleman in the wings....

Regardless of record I think we're gonna be a fun team to watch, and when the game is close Ryan still has my trust 

I think if you want to play this "wish we had gotten this guy instead of who we got" game Let's go back to 2011. How much better would our defense had been if the Falcons had moved up just ahead of Houston and grabbed JJ Watts and gotten a lesser rated Wide Receiver in the second round? With JJ Watts and Abraham how much better would the Defense had been in 2011. Would the offense still had been capable to control the ball and score without Julio?  In 2012 instead of Konz why didn't the Falcons draft Dwayne Allen? We had Gonzalez who could have been a great mentor. You probably could go back thru every draft and redo it. 

8 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I see we don't talk about him much. I was very upset we didn't get Mack that year, but was grateful we could move on from having poor LT quality. Seems we are good at OL for a while and hopefully SS and LB as well.

Nice post. It's reassuring knowing big Jake is taking care of business.  

Great to see a positive post every now and then.