Glad we passed on Lawson

Bills first-round DE/OLB Shaq Lawson will undergo right shoulder surgery on Tuesday, and is without a timetable for a return.

Lawson had previously claimed surgery wouldn't be necessary. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported shortly after the draft that Lawson would eventually need an operation that would sideline him 4-6 months. That's the best guess now, and it leaves Lawson questionable for Week 1. Lawson's shoulder was flagged during the Combine, and he had "an occurrence of the condition last week." Lawson will now have to be babied through his rookie campaign, and could end up limited to situational pass-rushing duties.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woah...  I wasn't a fan of picking him, but didn't realize his shoulder needed surgery...  Wish the guy a speedy recovery and hope we are lucky enough to go into the season with our rooks at 100 percent...

Edited by gHost83

Meh players get hurt. Beasley was hurt most of last season. The only time you pass on someone because of injury is if they will never be the same again. It is stupid to pass on a player just because he may not be 100% as a rookie. Most rookies stink, anyways. I hope they passed on Lawson because they flat out didn't think he was as good as Neal, injury or no injury. 

15 minutes ago, Capitalist said:

Bills first-round DE/OLB Shaq Lawson will undergo right shoulder surgery on Tuesday, and is without a timetable for a return.

Lawson had previously claimed surgery wouldn't be necessary. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported shortly after the draft that Lawson would eventually need an operation that would sideline him 4-6 months. That's the best guess now, and it leaves Lawson questionable for Week 1. Lawson's shoulder was flagged during the Combine, and he had "an occurrence of the condition last week." Lawson will now have to be babied through his rookie campaign, and could end up limited to situational pass-rushing duties.

Imagine what the fans and pundits would be saying if we had drafted Shaq Lawson with the 17th pick.

4 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

Meh players get hurt. Beasley was hurt most of last season. The only time you pass on someone because of injury is if they will never be the same again. It is stupid to pass on a player just because he may not be 100% as a rookie. Most rookies stink, anyways. I hope they passed on Lawson because they flat out didn't think he was as good as Neal, injury or no injury. 

You got a point. They wanted Neal. Most of our drafted guys were in for private workouts. Neal was one of them. We got our guy. Just teasing the guys who were mad we didnt draft Lawson. 

8 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

If he has 15 sacks in 2017 do you think anyone in Buffalo will care about 2016? 

It's More likely he will have 5 or less in 2017 especially IF he has to miss significant time this year, which looks likely..

Remember this injury is going to kill his ability to get practice reps. 2017 May turn out to be a kin to his rookie campaign.

3 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

And if he requires revision surgery in March 2017, do you think people will care?

As far as we know right now, he is only having one surgery. 

I clearly stated in my first post that you pass on players whose injuries permanently damage them. 

2 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

It's More likely he will have 5 or less in 2017 especially IF he has to miss significant time this year, which looks likely..

Remember this injury is going to kill his ability to get practice reps. 2017 May turn out to be a kin to his rookie campaign.

The point is football is a collision sport and everyone gets injured at some point. If Neal plays long enough, he'll get injured, too. This is a non-story. It's only been 13 months since the Falcons used a pick higher than #17 on a player who came into the NFL with an injury that limited his ability to perform. 

1 minute ago, Summerhill said:

As far as we know right now, he is only having one surgery. 

I clearly stated in my first post that you pass on players whose injuries permanently damage them. 

Any orthopedic surgical procedure can result in permanent damage. Its the nature of the medicine. 

So if the FO decided to skip Lawson because they saw this coming, your response could have been "well we know he doesnt need surgery now." And then, once surgery is in the cards, it becomes "well...we know he's only having surgery once so..." and onward and upward.