It's not Madden, it's Hag/Jacksons last chance here

BCurt57

You knew it with the Shelby signing, Garret move and release of Soleil. DQ is going to work with Hag but he's not able to stay on the field. It wouldn't surprise me if they haven't tried to sell him off for any draft pick. I love his physical skills. But a guy who gets booted by a rookie 5th rounder and who cannot shed blockers isn't long for this team. For those who seem to love Hags, consider how healthy it is that s low football IQ, underperforming player is on his last leg. It means we have options and are improving. I love him as deep depth and on FG defense. Jackson is going to see the field. He's stealthy and absolutely does what he is asked. 

6 minutes ago, BCurt57 said:

You knew it with the Shelby signing, Garret move and release of Soleil. DQ is going to work with Hag but he's not able to stay on the field. It wouldn't surprise me if they haven't tried to sell him off for any draft pick. I love his physical skills. But a guy who gets booted by a rookie 5th rounder and who cannot shed blockers isn't long for this team. For those who seem to love Hags, consider how healthy it is that s low football IQ, underperforming player is on his last leg. It means we have options and are improving. I love him as deep depth and on FG defense. Jackson is going to see the field. He's stealthy and absolutely does what he is asked. 

Shede and Jarrett don't even play the same position

Hage and Grady both played DT last year. The rotation will be Grady, Jackson, Babs and a 4th unknown. Hag is competing with Clay, Shelby, Beasley, Jackson on occaission, Upshaw on occaission. This is it for Hageman imo. I look for Clay/Beasley/Shelby and Upshaw to get 75% of snaps. Where Hage SHOULD be playing, he's not. Jackson is stealthy. He's dependable, has some unexpected versatility and can occupy blockers. They have to keep their MLB clean this year. If they do with Neal in the box we can use Jones in there and his speed. If we can't keep Jones clean, he'll get creamed. Can Hageman get playing time? Yes. But he is below average and we have better guys not to mention who might surprise in development. 

Also DQ won't/can't move TJax. We don't have his replacement and DQ must be very pleased with the effort he made to become a wall inside. And with how he is tutoring Hage. A guy Hages size that gets dusted did not please DQ and linemen need intelligence, adaptability. But again, Hage adds true value depth if he can be the kind of teammate that plays hard in a limited role. Short yardage, FG defense. 

Hags last chance? Booted by a fifth round rookie (That was said to be a 1-2nd round if not for height/size) that doesn't even play the same position? If I remember correctly they played side by side on some base and Grady would stay in for some pass... Hags did well based on the eye test against the run and rated decent. Only thing he struggled with is pass rush, so if he's two gapping LE on run downs it plays to his strengths. 

Remember that Hageman was originally a TE coming into college. So he hasn't really played the position long but he's steadily become less raw over time.

Like others have stated, we took a chance on him knowing that he's a long term project. He's average now but he'll be above average or better in due time. 

4 hours ago, BCurt57 said:

Not sure where to begin with this.  

Hageman is no where near "average." He couldn't get on the field consistently. He can't utilize his physical skills and he lack football IQ. 

He's being moved to DE in the face of presumptive starters AND backups. He is not going to compete at DT or NT because DQ has already decided it's a dead end. This from a coach who craves competition. 

By "stealthy" I meant TJax quietly goes about his job and they were comfortable enough with him where they told Soleil take a cut or be cut. He's very important depth and knows these positions. 

Whether you like it or not, Hageman is going to take away snaps in pre-season or he's done. The thing to watch is if Beasley improves against the run as much as I think he might and if DQ starts playing him and Neal in different gaps. 

This team is SERIOUSLY improved pass rushing. DQ isn't handing Hages a anything more and it seems pretty obvious that if DQ wanted him to get snaps he'd have left him at DT and not moved him behind a possible breakout player, a two year extended prior 1st rounder, and the best D line sub in football who we just signed as a free agent. Hage will get to compete but he's 4th on the depth chart and he's going to have to be at least average-which he isn't. How do I know? If he was a FA no one would care.

Let's start with "stealthy." Verb. Under or over radar. Difficult to detect. 340. Bull strong. Spells Grady and gives different look. Occupies blockers and keeps Jones, Neal clean. 

Hageman. At DE. Ok. Let's say I'm an illiterate moron. Who is he taking snaps from?

if there is a strong developmental player he is gone. Who do you spell with him? Beasley? Clayborn? Shelby? Upshaw started 85% of the downs for the Ravens. DQ worked every day with Starr. Did DQ say let's keep him in the interior? Let's force Grady, Mbu, Jackson, Babs to compete? Nope. He ended it and stuck him at end. His best case if he is what he has been is short yardage and FG defense. And he'll get moved off short yardage as soon as his poor football IQ gets him consistently suckered to the inside.

If I'm wrong, great. But his play is below average and he's lacking football IQ. "It's time to grow up." He said it last year. He's saying it again. Sorry but he's lacking some serious traits and DQ knows it.