Devin Hester recently received strongest vote of confidence yet from Falcons staff

birdz4i

By Dave Choate @TheFalcoholic on May 15, 2016, 8:00a

For many reasons, Devin Hester has been one of the easier cuts to predict over the last few months. The theory was that when he was healthy, the legendary returner would find himself seeking a gig elsewhere due to his lack of involvement in Kyle Shanahan's offense, the diminishing importance of returners, and finally, the Falcons drafting UCLA receiver/returner Devin Fuller in the seventh round.

D.Orlando Ledbetter at the AJC recently had a new story recently about Hester that covers some of the same ground as this May 2 Vaughn McClure story, which is logical given that there's been very little in the way of new developments for Hester. He still doesn't figure to be systems go until training camp, and so we're going to have to wait a while to figure out whether he'll be with the team or not.

There is one new, interesting quote, though.

"There are special players like Dev and other returners around the league, they’ll still get green-lighted," Quinn said. "Here’s a guy who is on the club for this unique reason."

I remain skeptical, but this is a pretty strong endorsement of the skill set Hester brings to the table, and it tells you the Falcons still value their returners. If Hester is healthy and the team still believes he can play at a high level, he's got a real shot to remain on this roster. It's just that he's got a lot working against him, still.

If Hester sticks on the roster, one of Eric Weems and Devin Fuller probably will not, given that both are quality special teams types and returners (Weems is better at the former, Fuller probably is at the latter) who probably will not offer much at wide receiver in 2016.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2016/5/15/11676092/devin-hester-recently-received-strongest-vote-of-confidence-yet-from

That don't really sound like a strong endorsement to me. Quinn talks positive about everyone but it never stops him from cutting them - he had nothing but glowing remarks about Roddy, Moore and Durant and they all got pink slips.

Hester's future with the team is going to boil down to whether or not his toe is healthy and if he is the same returner he was before he got hurt. If not he will be cut too. I doubt if money has anything to do with it.

1 minute ago, FentayeJones said:

That don't really sound like a strong endorsement to me. Quinn talks positive about everyone but it never stops him from cutting them - he had nothing but glowing remarks about Roddy, Moore and Durant and they all got pink slips.

Hester's future with the team is going to boil down to whether or not his toe is healthy and if he is the same returner he was before he got hurt. If not he will be cut too. I doubt if money has anything to do with it.

Spent a lot of time talking up Spoon last offseason too lol

2 hours ago, FentayeJones said:

Yea but he also said he doesn't know about Roddy's future with the team at that time. So unless he starts talking about NOT knowing the future of Dev I'd say he's safe for now. Gotta play close attention to the words a coach uses. Forget the good talk about a good player because they're deserving of the good talk. Listen to what they say about TE "future" of the player with the team. That's where the meat is. The good talk is real because the players are good. 

3 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Yea but he also said he doesn't know about Roddy's future with the team at that time. So unless he starts talking about NOT knowing the future of Dev I'd say he's safe for now. Gotta play close attention to the words a coach uses. Forget the good talk about a good player because they're deserving of the good talk. Listen to what they say about TE "future" of the player with the team. That's where the meat is. The good talk is real because the players are good. 

At this point, I'm starting to think his price is way too high, we need to cut him. 

Here's the issue. Weems is the leader or our special teams units. He always finds a way to make a play on special teams one way or another. I would have a hard time cutting him since he does so much for our special teams units. Hester is the "GOAT" returner, but he is old, and recently recovering from injury.

We drafted Fuller to more than likely replace Hester, but do we want to keep Hester so he can show Fuller the ropes? If so, could Nick Williams get the boot since Hardy is more than likely the slot, and Fuller has the ability to stretch the field with his speed. I really like Nick, but he is more of a slot receiver in my opinion, and we already have Hardy.

5 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

He was vague about Roddy White but Nino11 is spot on about Spoon. Quinn said Spoon was a priority signing last off-season only to give him the boot 2 weeks later. If they are going to ask Solia to take a paycut, there is no reason not to request one from Hester.