Atlanta Falcons will pass on veteran cornerback Leon Hall

Atlanta Falcons will pass on veteran cornerback Leon Hall

By Vaughn McClure

The Atlanta Falcons are not going to sign veteran cornerback Leon Hall at this time, a league source told ESPN.com.

Hall, 31, visited the Falcons' facility last week. Coach Dan Quinn said Hall was a player capable of helping the defense, but Quinn said the team wanted to fully review Hall's medical history before committing to signing him. Hall tore both of his Achilles in separate incidents during the 2011 and 2013 seasons. He also reportedly had a back procedure this offseason.

Obviously the Falcons felt it was best to go in another direction.

Quinn said he'll always be mindful of cornerbacks and pass-rushers while trying to enhance the roster. The team, of course, has the utmost confidence in Pro Bowl cornerback Desmond Trufant and feels fellow starter Robert Alford will flourish as long as he cleans up his technique. The wild card is second-year player Jalen Collins, last year's second-round draft pick out of LSU who had a miserable rookie season.

Collins is suspended for the first four games of the 2016 without pay for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances -- an issue that will stunt his growth. If Collins begins to show signs of the potential the coaches saw in him, he could earn more time outside at corner with Alford moving in to cover the slot in the nickel. The Falcons like Collins' length when it comes to defending taller receivers such as Tampa Bay's Mike Evans and Carolina's Kelvin Benjamin in the NFC South. However, Collins has showed no ball skills at this point.

DeMarcus Van Dyke and Akeem King are the other key figures in the cornerback equation right now in terms of depth. Phillip Adams, who was with the team last season, remains a free agent but wants to return to the Falcons.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Old Pappy falcon said:

Well I be dayummmed! Feeling Alford will flourish??? lol

This is why I wanted boykin !

I wanted Georgia native Brandon Boykin also, because I feel like the Falcons have a real need at the Nickle Back position. I think the Panthers got Boykin for a steal:

"Brandon Boykin signed a 1 year, $840,000 contract with the Carolina Panthers, including a $80,000 signing bonus, $80,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $840,000. In 2016, Boykin will earn a base salary of $760,000 and a signing bonus of $80,000. Boykin has a cap hit of $680,000 while his dead money value is $80,000"

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/brandon-boykin/

11 minutes ago, theProf said:

I wanted Georgia native Brandon Boykin also, because I feel like the Falcons have a real need at the Nickle Back position. I think the Panthers got Boykin for a steal:

"Brandon Boykin signed a 1 year, $840,000 contract with the Carolina Panthers, including a $80,000 signing bonus, $80,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $840,000. In 2016, Boykin will earn a base salary of $760,000 and a signing bonus of $80,000. Boykin has a cap hit of $680,000 while his dead money value is $80,000"

Prof, Thanks for the detailed response about Boykin.  It's just our luck we needed so many different position's to address.

I hope those guys step up big for us Prof.  Seems like we were looking and hoping for the signing of Brandon. I kept telling myself, we need another solid CB with tru this whole off season.

17 minutes ago, Phrootdawg said:

I think deep down everyone knew this but wanted to be positive. The guy isnt Richard Sherman 2.0

I think he's doing pretty poorly, but it is way too early to label him a bust. Corner is a hard position to make the conversion from college to the nfl. I don't think he'll ever be a superstar, but he might end up being decent.

Edited by dfsutton
11 hours ago, Monoxide said:

A bust pick that most people knew was probably a wasted pick from the beginning. Same as Southward. Same as Holmes. 

I dunno man, a lot of people defended the Collins pick as well as the Southward pick when it happened. These guys are everywhere but I could never see the intrigue. 

3 minutes ago, dfsutton said:

I think he's doing pretty poorly, but it is way too early to label him a bust. Corner is a hard position to make the conversion from college to the nfl. I don't think he'll ever be a superstar, but he might end up being decent.

Idk man look at the team's holes and imagine what that second round pick could have been. A guard, pash rusher, NT, WR

But who knows, he can become decent. Just extremely raw

22 minutes ago, dfsutton said:

I would agree with you if he showed  any glimpse of talent but he looked completely loss. If he wasn't drafted so high he would not have made the 53 man roster and we weren't deep at corner.  

Mcclure didn't sugarcoat it, no ball skills says it all. 

The Falcons like Collins' length when it comes to defending taller receivers such as Tampa Bay's Mike Evans and Carolina's Kelvin Benjamin in the NFC South. However, Collins has showed no ball skills at this point.

25 minutes ago, dfsutton said:

Maybe but he will never be worth a 2nd round pick especially with the needs we have on this team.

5 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

Maybe but he will never be worth a 2nd round pick especially with the needs we have on this team.

If he reaches his potential he will have been worth a first round pick because he will be a long term starter. He's only got one more year of being subpar though because in 2017 he will probably be starting opposite Tru with Alford probably leaving 

2 hours ago, Colin_Pernett said:

I'm fine with this. I would have been fine signing him too but maybe this means good things about how well some of the UDFA corners are doing

Perhaps Brian Poole or Sharrod Neasman. Thanks to Ike barn for posting the following article:

"Neasman had a similar number of suitors, electing to sign with Atlanta over the Los Angeles Rams because Falcons' head coach Dan Quinn was one of  the voices on the other end of the phone.

“Once (the draft) was over, my agent was getting calls like crazy. I was getting calls like crazy,” Neasman said.

Neasman said the Falcons pursued him because of his versatility and intend to give him an opportunity at both safety positions as well as nickel.

One person who's watched Neasman's growth believes the safety has a good chance of sticking with the Falcons.

“He's going to be very hard for someone not to keep on their team,” FAU coach Charlie Partridge said. “They are going to coach him once and he's going to have it. He's going to be a special teams contributor for sure.”

http://www.fauowlaccess.com/articles/123/nfl-free-agency-reminds-fau-players-of-college-recruiting.aspx

3 hours ago, Bawse said:

Collins really was a bust pick. 

Give him another year before we say bust...he was very raw coming out because of limited experience. He has the size and speed to be effective. But its up to him if he gets to where he needs to be. Quinn will give him a chance to succeed. 

He didn't do himself any favors6 by getting suspended. 

1 hour ago, theProf said:

Perhaps Brian Poole or Sharrod Neasman. Thanks to Ike barn for posting the following article:

"Neasman had a similar number of suitors, electing to sign with Atlanta over the Los Angeles Rams because Falcons' head coach Dan Quinn was one of  the voices on the other end of the phone.

“Once (the draft) was over, my agent was getting calls like crazy. I was getting calls like crazy,” Neasman said.

Neasman said the Falcons pursued him because of his versatility and intend to give him an opportunity at both safety positions as well as nickel.

One person who's watched Neasman's growth believes the safety has a good chance of sticking with the Falcons.

“He's going to be very hard for someone not to keep on their team,” FAU coach Charlie Partridge said. “They are going to coach him once and he's going to have it. He's going to be a special teams contributor for sure.”

http://www.fauowlaccess.com/articles/123/nfl-free-agency-reminds-fau-players-of-college-recruiting.aspx

Agreed Prof, Neasman should be our guy although I think he fits better as a safety.  He can play nickle too though.  Textbook tackler (I mean textbook, wraps up then rolls opponent to the ground) with ball skills.  Not a burner but has recovery speed.  The dude is strong as an ox.  Plenty of tape of him shedding linemen for tackles which is kinda insane.  With he and Neal in our base, would be like having 5 linebackers on the field.  Not saying that's going to happen but it's just a thought.  He will be solid on special teams too.   Hope he shows coaches what he can do and hope I see him on the field sooner than later..