Reasons why we'll be Top 4 in 2016

55 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

I believe your going to see a lot of old school slobber knockers on this team this year.. One of the biggest reasons i believe we will be a top 4,, Old school smash mouth Pro Football. We have more hard hitting D# players on this team this year that I ever saw. And Like I've said. Been following and watching the Falcons for 45 years now. 

You got me on that one, I started following in the 80s around when Billy White came here.  

I think the pre-season will give us a better idea of where we stand league wise. I have been highly critical of TD but the last two drafts look encouraging.  We are heading in the right direction but this is after one of the worse defensive rosters in the league so the improvements may be skewed. I want to see these guys perform in live game situations before I am willing to rank them in the top 10  Teams like Jacksonville ,St Louis and Tampa look pretty good on paper defensively but putting it all together is another challenge. 

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, insight said:

I think you're right on this point. The league deliberately changed the game in favor of the offense to encourage scoring I don't think it's better I think it has evolved.There are so many more rules, that handcuff the defense now it's almost impossible to compare.  The players are bigger and faster now but  free agency has spread the talent out opposed to the dynasty teams of the past.  Like Fatboi said the teams of old were tougher and more rugged than anything we are seeing nowadays. 

Definitely agree about what free agency has done to the game. One of the reasons we have so many more 7-9, 8-8 and 9-7 teams make the playoffs these days is because the overall amount of dominant teams has dwindle with each passing decade. Check out the amazing stat I remember hearing. Every single year in the AFC since like 2003 (except 2012) the AFC has been represented in the Super Bowl by the Patriots, Colts, Steelers or Broncos. Every year one of those 4 teams has played in the Super Bowl. Goodness me! That's incredible. NFL likes to talk about parity? That's not parity. That's just crap!

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Definitely agree about what free agency has done to the game. One of the reasons we have so many more 7-9, 8-8 and 9-7 teams make the playoffs these days is because the overall amount of dominant teams has dwindle with each passing decade. Check out the amazing stat I remember hearing. Every single year in the AFC since like 2003 (except 2012) the AFC has been represented in the Super Bowl by the Patriots, Colts, Steelers or Broncos. Every year one of those 4 teams has played in the Super Bowl. Goodness me! That's incredible. NFL likes to talk about parity? That's not parity. That's just crap!

That's an Interesting stat about the AFC superbowl teams for sure. 

32 minutes ago, insight said:

That's an Interesting stat about the AFC superbowl teams for sure. 

Yep. But just to show for the record. And we can even take it back further than that.

• 1995 - Steelers
  • 1996 - Patriots
  • 1997 - Broncos
  • 1998 - Broncos
  • 1999 - Titans
  • 2000 - Ravens
  • 2001 - Patriots
  • 2002 - Raiders
  • 2003 - Patriots
  • 2004 - Patriots
  • 2005 - Steelers
  • 2006 - Colts
  • 2007 - Patriots
  • 2008 - Steelers
  • 2009 - Colts
  • 2010 - Steelers
  • 2011 - Patriots
  • 2012 - Ravens
  • 2013 - Broncos
  • 2014 - Patriots
  • 2015 - Broncos

That's 21 Super Bowls and the AFC has been represented by just 4 different teams in all but two of those. So 19 of 21 Super Bowl appearances since 1995 belong to 4 teams.

I'm excited about WR Fuller and TE Hooper.. Ryan is a great Veteran QB and for him to get this much help in one draft is really amazing and I can't wait to see these two O# players on Game day. This draft class is looking better every day.  This is why I've always been a big big fan of TD,, I know that Quinn has helped him get players he needs , but these two together are evidently awesome.. I think they may have hit on every draft pick we got. People may not realize it, But that don't happen very often. It's a rare thing to hit on all Draft picks in a single year. I know, I know, it's only practice.. But it sure looks like every draft pick was the right players. Never been more hyped for a season to start. Top 4 Baby!  and maybe More !!!  :slick:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media-lounge/videos/Freeney_Weve_Got_So_Much_Talent/ad3f8eca-5a9e-403b-abf3-693ffe03ed96

This is what I've been talking about when I started this thread,,, Take it from Freeney,, My Brother Spiritually,,, We believe exactly alike.. If you don't believe me , that this is the most talented Falcon team ever.. Listen to Him..

Only going to bump this thread every game we win.. Our first preseason game we looked about as unready as the team we played,, that's normal for a first preseason game. A lot to  be excited about though. Robinson looked good and our Rebuilt OL is a real blessing. But the big deal may be Shaub being our backup,, It's really good to know that God forbid something happened to Ryan, we should be able to continue being competitive, Not many years could we have been able to say that.  This team is stacked in nearly every position. We now have the best OL this team has ever had IMO. And the talent level is the highest I've ever seen on one team.. This team. The sky is the limit this year if we can stay fairly healthy. To me.. we will be at least in the top 4 by the end of the season.. We are the team to beat, not Carolina.  

2 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

Only going to bump this thread every game we win.. Our first preseason game we looked about as unready as the team we played,, that's normal for a first preseason game. A lot to  be excited about though. Robinson looked good and our Rebuilt OL is a real blessing. But the big deal may be Shaub being our backup,, It's really good to know that God forbid something happened to Ryan, we should be able to continue being competitive, Not many years could we have been able to say that.  This team is stacked in nearly every position. We now have the best OL this team has ever had IMO. And the talent level is the highest I've ever seen on one team.. This team. The sky is the limit this year if we can stay fairly healthy. To me.. we will be at least in the top 4 by the end of the season.. We are the team to beat, not Carolina.  

Could you not?

Edited by Realist

On 8/5/2016 at 2:32 PM, TheFatboi said:

Yea I agree. Not only the niners but the Dolphins with Marino. They'd fit right in with the pass happy league. The 80's Giants, which is basically the NE patriots of today etc...

except they'd lose so much intensity on defense because of the rule changes since then, LOL

17 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

We have the best Falcon team ever put together. For example , Matt Shaub , A Backup QB who can step in and we would not miss a beat is more important than other starters.  and are extremely important , especially when you have a top 4 team.. Not having a good backup could blow it all up if Ryan had to sit out for some reason.. But with Shaub, I don't think we miss a beat... Who ever it was that is responsible to putting this team together this year,,, Is a genius!!!  I've always been TDs biggest fan.. I think Blank gave him the go to do what ever he needed to do to get a Championship team together.... IMO, they have done that, At least it's a great beginning to that Team we have been looking for.I'd say we win it all either this year or next.  At least a top 4 this year.....

On May 20, 2016 at 7:28 AM, Draftnut57 said:

Well, I wish I didn't have to agree with you , but I feel the same way,, The only one person that is a huge question mark is Shanny... I'm hoping he sees and fixes his ideology of how a Championship O# should play,, If not,, I'm going to start calling him Shammy !!  :ninja:

There is no evidence that Shanahan will change the way he views his offense.  I do not expect to see any changes in scheme or strategy what so ever.  Improved personnel along the OL will likely improve outcomes.  That is what will matter most for us this season.  

Quinn has made his choice for OC and like it or not, that is the way it will be for the foreseeable future.

Having said that, I believe that our fortunes will rest on our defense.  I have a renewed optimism that our defense will take a big step up this season.    

4 minutes ago, etherdome said:

There is no evidence that Shanahan will change the way he views his offense.  I do not expect to see any changes in scheme or strategy what so ever.  Improved personnel along the OL will likely improve outcomes.  That is what will matter most for us this season.  

Quinn has made his choice for OC and like it or not, that is the way it will be for the foreseeable future.

Having said that, I believe that our fortunes will rest on our defense.  I have a renewed optimism that our defense will take a big step up this season.    

I agree,, And I do think that our Q# will be twice as good this year since they've had a year now to get used to the new system.. They looked 100% better in our first preseason game... so all is coming together for an awesome run this year. 

If Matt Ryan has mastered the offense and we no huddle. I see us as a superbowl team. Everything doesnt have to be perfect. I cant remember the last SB team where everything and everyhole was perfect. I trust quinn to make us top 10 defense. I have full faith in this team

9 hours ago, Csdabest said:

If Matt Ryan has mastered the offense and we no huddle. I see us as a superbowl team. Everything doesnt have to be perfect. I cant remember the last SB team where everything and everyhole was perfect. I trust quinn to make us top 10 defense. I have full faith in this team

Well, at least a few people see the truth... Just got done reading another post on the board here say this team will not do anything because of our last preseason game... :lol: , They are judging this team over a preseason game we won. To beat it all, he had like 10 likes from fans here who believe him and agreed. :lol:  Let me finish with this,, I appreciate the young fans here. But you can't judge any team from a preseason game.. especially our team.. Quinn knows he is loaded this year.. He's hoping it stays quit as long as possible and until he can as many wins as he can before people find out,, we will be one of the top 4 best teams in the league. Because as soon as other teams find out. They will realize they have to give everything in their power to beat this team. But not many will this year. This is by far the most talented Falcon team in the Franchise History, if you don't agree. You don't know diddly about Falcon Football. 

On 8/13/2016 at 11:08 AM, Draftnut57 said:

We have the best Falcon team ever put together. For example , Matt Shaub , A Backup QB who can step in and we would not miss a beat is more important than other starters.  and are extremely important , especially when you have a top 4 team.. Not having a good backup could blow it all up if Ryan had to sit out for some reason.. But with Shaub, I don't think we miss a beat... Who ever it was that is responsible to putting this team together this year,,, Is a genius!!!  I've always been TDs biggest fan.. I think Blank gave him the go to do what ever he needed to do to get a Championship team together.... IMO, they have done that, At least it's a great beginning to that Team we have been looking for.I'd say we win it all either this year or next.  At least a top 4 this year.....

Been meaning to get back to you on this. I'm as optimistic as anyone, and Schaub may have recovered since then, but he lost his last two starting jobs because first one- he threw a pick 6 in 4 straight games, then a couple years later, second one because he threw a pick 6 in two straight games. In between was a season where he only threw 10 passes, one was a pick 6.

If Ryan misses a few plays or a game, maybe it's OK, I'm thinking that, if Ryan misses a lot of time, they find another QB.

On 8/21/2016 at 11:30 AM, falconidae said:

Been meaning to get back to you on this. I'm as optimistic as anyone, and Schaub may have recovered since then, but he lost his last two starting jobs because first one- he threw a pick 6 in 4 straight games, then a couple years later, second one because he threw a pick 6 in two straight games. In between was a season where he only threw 10 passes, one was a pick 6.

If Ryan misses a few plays or a game, maybe it's OK, I'm thinking that, if Ryan misses a lot of time, they find another QB.

Well, for me personally,, I can't believe we have a Backup QB as good as Shaub.. Wow !! is what I say about that... one of many of the best moves we have ever made.. 

10 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

Well, for me personally,, I can't believe we have a Backup QB as good as Shaub.. Wow !! is what I say about that... one of many of the best moves we have ever made.. 

Man set a record for consecutive games with a pick 6 in 13, then in the next 2 years, threw a 100 passes with 3 pick6s in that 100 passes. That really doesn't inspire confidence in me. Doing well in the preseason doesn't balance that out.