Reasons why we'll be Top 4 in 2016

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, falcoatlantae said:

Hey @Intellectually Honest, it is very admirable to be a skeptic, but you do realize that @Falconsfan567 did say that

So effectively, you were just talking about yourself.   Do you have any predictions about the coming year?  Any positives?  Any negatives?  Any optimism?  Any pessimism?

With so many people with "Falcons" in their name I mix people up. Looks all the same to me. I already mentioned my position is skepticism. I'll be positive when I see things about the team that is positive, and negative when I see things going wrong with the team. As for what will happen, I take a wait and see approach.

Edited by Intellectually Honest

18 hours ago, Intellectually Honest said:

With so many people with "Falcons" in their name I mix people up. Looks all the same to me. I already mentioned my position is skepticism. I'll be positive when I see things about the team that is positive, and negative when I see things going wrong with the team. As for what will happen, I take a wait and see approach.

Wait and see approach is no different than my position and saying that we've yet to know one way or the other on Dan Quinn's abilities.

13 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Wait and see approach is no different than my position and saying that we've yet to know one way or the other on Dan Quinn's abilities.

I personally think that Quinn will Win when ever they figure out the right Passing game. I've said it many times. If we had added this D# and Running Game to the really great passing game we had. We would have  been an amazing team last year. But the changing of our passing game is what's taking time.. I just hope we have it down by our 3rd game this year and believe we will have. That is why I think we will be a top 4 team this year at the least. And I'm thinking by the playoffs we will have improved greatly that causes us to be a top 4 team,,,,, And hoping even more after that. WE could shock the NFL if all our main players stay healthy. 

23 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

I personally think that Quinn will Win when ever they figure out the right Passing game. I've said it many times. If we had added this D# and Running Game to the really great passing game we had. We would have  been an amazing team last year. But the changing of our passing game is what's taking time.. I just hope we have it down by our 3rd game this year and believe we will have. That is why I think we will be a top 4 team this year at the least. And I'm thinking by the playoffs we will have improved greatly that causes us to be a top 4 team,,,,, And hoping even more after that. WE could shock the NFL if all our main players stay healthy. 

Yes, I've seen you say that many times. I often wondered if you don't realize that it's impossible to have the improved running game without also accepting the passing game that came with it? It's a different blocking scheme that synergistically ties in with the passing game. You couldn't run our old passing game out of this blocking scheme because the interior OL's we had to switch to for the mobile run blocking aren't big and strong enough to anchor consistently in pass protection - not without having the threat of the stretch play, the rollouts, and the play actions that go along with the pass designs.

On 5/16/2016 at 9:18 PM, Draftnut57 said:

We will be a real contender this year.  Signing Mack was a huge step in doing that. I've watched what they have done this year. And unlike other years, Where we would not address the glaring needs, They went out and got one of if not the best Center in the GAme,, That will be one of the many awesome moves this team has made in the off season. I repeat, we have never went out and picked up as many very good players in FAcy. And then turn around and in the Draft, they didn't go after What everybody else thought we needed, The got the player they knew we needed..  Neal, and Hooper just to name a few.. It's going to be exciting to see how many wins we will have this year.. I truly believe if Ryan stays healthy , we'll be in the top 4 at the end of the regular season before the playoffs .. I think we will  have as good a chance to win it all as any team in the league. We are set to be one of the top 4 teams in the NFL for the next 2 or 3 years. I think somewhere in those 3 years we'll win it all. JMO

Agree with all you wrote. The moves in FAcy this off-season were way beyond the usual quality of our acquisitions, not to mention the specificity of those players to our most crucial needs. Getting Mack was the absolute epitome of that, but it didn't stop with Mack. The other guys we got are also good, solid players. The draftees Neal and Jones and Campbell are also extraordinary athletes who are exact fits for this D. Hooper has a huge opportunity to contribute on offense.

It's on Ryan to stay healthy just as you said. If he does, there aren't a lot of teams on our schedule capable of dominating us on offense or defense. I'm thinking we definitely will have another shot to get to the SB in the next few years. I hope once we get there again, we'll have the confidence to get the trophy this time around. My gut feeling is we'll get'er done.

5 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree with all you wrote. The moves in FAcy this off-season were way beyond the usual quality of our acquisitions, not to mention the specificity of those players to our most crucial needs. Getting Mack was the absolute epitome of that, but it didn't stop with Mack. The other guys we got are also good, solid players. The draftees Neal and Jones and Campbell are also extraordinary athletes who are exact fits for this D. Hooper has a huge opportunity to contribute on offense.

It's on Ryan to stay healthy just as you said. If he does, there aren't a lot of teams on our schedule capable of dominating us on offense or defense. I'm thinking we definitely will have another shot to get to the SB in the next few years. I hope once we get there again, we'll have the confidence to get the trophy this time around. My gut feeling is we'll get'er done.

Alright,, finally got a vote for this thread !  P.S. Thank you P.S.  

We need our OL protecting Ryan and giving him time to get the ball out. Our OL is #1 need for success for all the obvious reasons. This rebuilt OL and Ryan 2nd year will help more than any other one thing to put us in the top 4 teams this year.  Ryan needs to get more  familiar with new Passing scheme and get the ball out quick and if Freeman stays  healthy all year and Coleman takes the 2nd year jump that Freeman had we will be a top 4 team. 

On 7/23/2016 at 0:44 AM, Intellectually Honest said:

Well, from my point of view now, after watching this teams off season gains in talent like no other in the History of this team.. find one better off season ?? I promise, you will not find one better,  I'm now thinking I may have under estimated our off season,, Plus we are still adding talent and cutting the fat,  I'll be shocked if we don't make the top 2 instead of the top 4.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/Falcons-Agree-to-Terms-With-DE-Dwight-Freeney/15435dcd-65a6-4772-990f-7b42a8be936b

Just more icing on the Cake of the best off season FA pick ups and Draft combined this team has ever had.... If we stay fairly healthy , we will be the team to beat in the playoffs. Because by then we will be a team that knows how to win with all this talent.. 

The most talent in one Falcon team I have ever seen... Don't believe me,, show me one that had more talent than this one????  If our running backs stay healthy, we'll be unstoppable. And I want to make one more prediction. I say we have a top 4 D# this year also. If not better...  

1 hour ago, Draftnut57 said:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/Falcons-Agree-to-Terms-With-DE-Dwight-Freeney/15435dcd-65a6-4772-990f-7b42a8be936b

Just more icing on the Cake of the best off season FA pick ups and Draft combined this team has ever had.... If we stay fairly healthy , we will be the team to beat in the playoffs. Because by then we will be a team that knows how to win with all this talent.. 

The most talent in one Falcon team I have ever seen... Don't believe me,, show me one that had more talent than this one????  If our running backs stay healthy, we'll be unstoppable. And I want to make one more prediction. I say we have a top 4 D# this year also. If not better...  

Just from a talent level this team rivals the 1998 team. I think people forget just how talented that team was.

As far as talent goes,, I think the team we have now is much more talented than that team. I'm sure of it..  But all teams have gotten better since the 98 team also.  I still say we have had the best offseason of any team in the NFL as far as who has improved their team the most.. To me, there is not even a contest.. WE've won that game.

8 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

As far as talent goes,, I think the team we have now is much more talented than that team. I'm sure of it..  But all teams have gotten better since the 98 team also.  I still say we have had the best offseason of any team in the NFL as far as who has improved their team the most.. To me, there is not even a contest.. WE've won that game.

Break it down then because I disagree.

10 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Break it down then because I disagree.

And now we go get Dwight Freeney ??? To me it's a no brainer... Been following this team for 45 years and IMO, This is the greatest off season ever if your talking about players drafted and picked up in FAcy. It's not even close. I've got to get to work,, All I can say is go look at our roster.. It's already written down,,, Blank is on a serious mission this year. I highly applaud him, never seen it on this fashion. I really can't even think of anything I can say negative about this off season... It's been like a fairy tale.. And no other year could I have said that.

The only thing that could have made this off season better is if we could have some how, maybe traded a pick from next year, and gotten the 1st pick in the second round of the draft, DE Emmanuel Ogbah. This DE is going to be special.. Another prediction I believe will happen. 

4 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

And now we go get Dwight Freeney ??? To me it's a no brainer... Been following this team for 45 years and IMO, This is the greatest off season ever if your talking about players drafted and picked up in FAcy. It's not even close. I've got to get to work,, All I can say is go look at our roster.. It's already written down,,, Blank is on a serious mission this year. I highly applaud him, never seen it on this fashion. I really can't even think of anything I can say negative about this off season... It's been like a fairy tale.. And no other year could I have said that.

The only thing that could have made this off season better is if we could have some how, maybe traded a pick from next year, and gotten the 1st pick in the second round of the draft, DE Emmanuel Ogbah. This DE is going to be special.. Another prediction I believe will happen. 

I don't this agree that this has been the single best offseason in franchise history. I just disagree with your opinion that this is clearly the most talented team the Falcons have ever had. I say there's a very good case to be made for the 1998 team. That is what I was asking you to break down. Explain why this roster is more talented top to bottom than that roster, particularly on defense. The defense the Falcons will throw on the field in 2016 is untested simply because we're counting on big production from rookies. The 1998 defense was a veteran squad that feature a few all pro players. Until this defense shows it the 1998 defense is better. The offense for the 98 team was no push over either.

5 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I don't this agree that this has been the single best offseason in franchise history. I just disagree with your opinion that this is clearly the most talented team the Falcons have ever had. I say there's a very good case to be made for the 1998 team. That is what I was asking you to break down. Explain why this roster is more talented top to bottom than that roster, particularly on defense. The defense the Falcons will throw on the field in 2016 is untested simply because we're counting on big production from rookies. The 1998 defense was a veteran squad that feature a few all pro players. Until this defense shows it the 1998 defense is better. The offense for the 98 team was no push over either.

I'm so tired ,  just got in from a hard day but good one.  I think the 98 team was like maybe in the top 10 teams in 98, WE just had the right players at the most important positions, and our simple Game plan the team had down pat ...  but to me,, comparing talent to talent form this team to that one is really not close IMO.  It's hard to believe this team we have right now.. we better enjoy this ,, I know how hard it is for a NFL team to get this many great players on one team.. To me it's not even close to the 98 team.. even thou that was a very good team. This team is unreal.. I believe I hit dead on with making this post 4 months ago. People are now starting to see that this is a very very special team loaded with young talent.

2 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

I'm so tired ,  just got in from a hard day but good one.  I think the 98 team was like maybe in the top 10 teams in 98, WE just had the right players at the most important positions, and our simple Game plan the team had down pat ...  but to me,, comparing talent to talent form this team to that one is really not close IMO.  It's hard to believe this team we have right now.. we better enjoy this ,, I know how hard it is for a NFL team to get this many great players on one team.. To me it's not even close to the 98 team.. even thou that was a very good team. This team is unreal.. I believe I hit dead on with making this post 4 months ago. People are now starting to see that this is a very very special team loaded with young talent.

Alright. We're just going to have to agree to disagree.

11 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Alright. We're just going to have to agree to disagree.

I can see why you would have a hard time understanding my thinking knowing what the 98 team did. So let me try to explain..  Every year the NFL teams get better,, problem is, they all get better.. So for a team to get to a place to where they are one of the top 4 teams in the league, they have to do more in the off season, get more better players than the other teams and learn a system that will work and bring wins in the league. For example, there are probably many teams in the league today that are better than our 98 team. Because of what I've mentioned.. Everybody gets better every year. So that is why I say this team is far and away better and if they could play that team , This team would destroy that one because of talent rising every year in Colleges and in the Pros. So bottom line is,, This team is far better than the 98 team.. Problem is... Every other team is better also.

Lastly, I think we jumped higher this off season than any other team in the NFL. And by a big margin... Now it's all up to our Coaches and players to take advantage of all this talent. As well as we did last year in a new scheme and with new coaches, with another off season in the new scheme, and addition of all this talent,  The sky is the limit this year.. to be very honest with you.. I could see this team go undefeated. Yeah, I said that.. But I'll play it safe and say, at least top 4 and play in the NFC Championship game.. If we have no major injuries I think we will go even higher. But that would be a year with no injuries to our major starters. 

6 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

I can see why you would have a hard time understanding my thinking knowing what the 98 team did. So let me try to explain..  Every year the NFL teams get better,, problem is, they all get better.. So for a team to get to a place to where they are one of the top 4 teams in the league, they have to do more in the off season, get more better players than the other teams and learn a system that will work and bring wins in the league. For example, there are probably many teams in the league today that are better than our 98 team. Because of what I've mentioned.. Everybody gets better every year. So that is why I say this team is far and away better and if they could play that team , This team would destroy that one because of talent rising every year in Colleges and in the Pros. So bottom line is,, This team is far better than the 98 team.. Problem is... Every other team is better also.

Lastly, I think we jumped higher this off season than any other team in the NFL. And by a big margin... Now it's all up to our Coaches and players to take advantage of all this talent. As well as we did last year in a new scheme and with new coaches, with another off season in the new scheme, and addition of all this talent,  The sky is the limit this year.. to be very honest with you.. I could see this team go undefeated. Yeah, I said that.. But I'll play it safe and say, at least top 4 and play in the NFC Championship game.. If we have no major injuries I think we will go even higher. But that would be a year with no injuries to our major starters. 

I completely disagree with your assessment that the NFL gets better and better every year. For example, the 49ers teams of the 1980s would be just as dominant in today's NFL as they were in 80s.

5 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I completely disagree with your assessment that the NFL gets better and better every year. For example, the 49ers teams of the 1980s would be just as dominant in today's NFL as they were in 80s.

Yea I agree. Not only the niners but the Dolphins with Marino. They'd fit right in with the pass happy league. The 80's Giants, which is basically the NE patriots of today etc...

6 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

This team would not destroy the 98 team. I'd go as far as to say they couldn't even beat the 98 team. Not yet at least. The 98 team was VERY talented. This team is still a paper talented team until they prove the talent can get the job done. This team can't beat the 85 bears or the 80's niners and giants yet. All incredibly talented teams that would still be good in today's nfl. PLUS they'd be tougher than a lot of these glass made players. And given the advances of modern medicine those 80's teams would be even tougher to beat because the players as a whole were just tougher. There were a whole lot more players with the mental toughness of Ronnie Lott, Lawrence Taylor, and Mike Singletary back then than there is now. Not saying those teams can't be beat but they would STILL be very good in the nfl right now and make a playoff push. 2 of the good teams from the 80's(49ers and Bengals) run our system and there's no way you can tell me that Montana to rice wouldn't be a problem for anybody in the nfl today with Ronnie lot being the same Kam Chancelor enforcer for TE's? And THAT's the team that perfected the WCO with its creator. 

33 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I think you're right on this point. The league deliberately changed the game in favor of the offense to encourage scoring I don't think it's better I think it has evolved.There are so many more rules, that handcuff the defense now it's almost impossible to compare.  The players are bigger and faster now but  free agency has spread the talent out opposed to the dynasty teams of the past.  Like Fatboi said the teams of old were tougher and more rugged than anything we are seeing nowadays. 

Edited by insight

1 hour ago, insight said:

I think you're right on this point. The league deliberately changed the game in favor of the offense to encourage scoring I don't think it's better I think it has evolved.There are so many more rules, that handcuff the defense now it's almost impossible to compare.  The players are bigger and faster now but  free agency has spread the talent out opposed to the dynasty teams of the past.  Like Fatboi said the teams of old were tougher and more rugged than anything we are seeing nowadays. 

I believe your going to see a lot of old school slobber knockers on this team this year.. One of the biggest reasons i believe we will be a top 4,, Old school smash mouth Pro Football. We have more hard hitting D# players on this team this year that I ever saw. And Like I've said. Been following and watching the Falcons for 45 years now.