Reasons why we'll be Top 4 in 2016

Do other message boards post these kind of threads? I love this team but if you think we are going to be top 4 this year, you are setting yourself up for some serious disappointment. Let's just pray we win 5 games and if we do take it as a win.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, gazoo said:

If we can stop the run we'll make the playoffs. How well we stop the run will determine how far we get in playoffs. Our offense is going to be one of the best in NFL but I just have a question mark on run defense not becuae I doubt it, but because  I've never seen this group in action yet.

Thank you gazoo, You just made me feel better about this team than what anybody else has said, Stopping the run is IMO going to be one of our main strengths , I believe our D# is going to be the best ever put on the field for a Falcon team. Since I feel like that will be our strength, I'm opposite of your thinking, I'm more concerned about this new O#, Last year Ryan looked more confused that a termite in a yoyo. I've never seen him rattled like that in all the years I've watched him play since he got here. The way they talk now he has the grasp of the new system. Another reason for my optimism . I don't just say things, I'm very honest, I've never ever been more hyped for a season to start. And I've been a fan for 44 years. Go back one page and look at this roster. Shelby and Upshaw are two players that nobody talks about, And these two guys in this system will thrive IMO. Add the Rookie DL to that and the Vets we alredy had.. To me, this D will be at least twice as good talent wise as last year. 

Like I say,, My only concern is our O# , If Ryan gets comfortable with it, I'm sure we will be a top team and make the playoffs. Our D# is going to be Studly Do right.  Ryan's grasp of this system is Key to top 4, And evidently , I believe in Him to get it down or I wouldn't have made this thread. 

12 hours ago, Jpowers said:

Draftnut, I'm all about some enthusiasm but we've got a lot of question marks on that D. I'm optimistic and I can see a borderline top 10 D. I'll even go so far as to say I expect to have right around a top 10 but in no way do I expect to be in the top 2. Rookies struggle and there will be bad plays from those guys and I'm still not sure where the pass rush is coming from besides Beasley and he's a question mark at this point. There are defenses out there who just have WAY more talent all the way around. 

That said I hope you're right and I'm wrong here, but in no way am I throwing all my chips in as strong as you are. Here's to hoping you're right even though I doubt it.

You are right  about top 2, I went back and changed it right after I posted it  to top 4 but didn't catch it till you had replied.  I think we will have a top 4 d# and that is the reason why I believe we will be a top 4 team this year.. My only big concern is Ryan getting the new O# down, That is my BIG concern.  Our D# is going to be special this year...

5 hours ago, Silvoxx said:

Do other message boards post these kind of threads? I love this team but if you think we are going to be top 4 this year, you are setting yourself up for some serious disappointment. Let's just pray we win 5 games and if we do take it as a win.

5 games????  :yikes:

14 hours ago, Silvoxx said:

This prediction is way more unrealistic than the Falcons being a top 4 team. The most logical prediction is that they are a team likely to be in that 7 to 9 win range. They are an up and coming team. Not a top 4 team but certainly not a bottom 4 team either

Edited by JD dirtybird21

I feel perfectly comfortable that this team will win 11 games in 2016. I certainly didn't feel that way when this thread was created. I still don't think we can go toe-to-toe and beat the Seahawks or Packers in the playoffs if we come up against them, so therefore I don't believe we're a top 4 team, but I'm excited.

5 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

This prediction is way more unrealistic than the Falcons being a top 4 team. The most logical prediction is that they are a team likely to be in that 7 to 9 win range. They are an up and coming team. Not a top 4 team but certainly not a bottom 4 team either

On Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 0:22 AM, Silvoxx said:

Schaub would be just as productive as Matt. I would be all for this for the right price but it will never happen, they want a young good QB.

JD, you gotta keep in mind who were talking about here. Realistic/unrealistic.... sometimes it just has nothing to do with either. 

On 7/1/2016 at 9:31 PM, Draftnut57 said:

Most likely we will be a top 4 D# and our O# will take a hugh jump from last year.. Take that along with us last year one win away from the playoffs, To me it's just a no brainer we make the playoffs , and by then we'll be even better with a regular season under our belts, I think we will be much better by the playoffs, Thus the reason of top 4. That's what I think and what I really think may happen.

I think top 4 defense is way too optimistic. I'm hoping for top 10 at best. I think that is a far more realistic goal.

6 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I feel perfectly comfortable that this team will win 11 games in 2016. I certainly didn't feel that way when this thread was created. I still don't think we can go toe-to-toe and beat the Seahawks or Packers in the playoffs if we come up against them, so therefore I don't believe we're a top 4 team, but I'm excited.

Weather it's 10 or 11 or wins?  Here's what you need to remember... Those amount of wins would get us into the playoffs,, By that time, this new team put together will have learned how to play together, what each persons strengths are and what our weaknesses are, Who can do what the best , if you will?  Have panned out the new O# as to what everybody has to learn their role. So by then this will be like playing a New Team ! As the season goes on we will get better, by the end of regular season , we will be much better, And by the time we do get to the playoffs, This team IMO will be dynamic... Especially if Coleman has a 2nd year coming out party like Freeman did.. I'm not as confident as I was with Freeman, but I'm hoping He will do the same. If so? Wow, just wow, we will be Loud and Wowed !  

6 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

Weather it's 10 or 11 or wins?  Here's what you need to remember... Those amount of wins would get us into the playoffs,, By that time, this new team put together will have learned how to play together, what each persons strengths are and what our weaknesses are, Who can do what the best , if you will?  Have panned out the new O# as to what everybody has to learn their role. So by then this will be like playing a New Team ! As the season goes on we will get better, by the end of regular season , we will be much better, And by the time we do get to the playoffs, This team IMO will be dynamic... Especially if Coleman has a 2nd year coming out party like Freeman did.. I'm not as confident as I was with Freeman, but I'm hoping He will do the same. If so? Wow, just wow, we will be Loud and Wowed !  

I really hope so. It would be nice to play our best football going into the playoffs like so many teams do on their way to winning the Super Bowl.

23 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I really hope so. It would be nice to play our best football going into the playoffs like so many teams do on their way to winning the Super Bowl.

It's really simple,, why I believe we'll make the NFC Championship game.. Which would make us a top 4 even if we lost that game.. Reasons =

1. I've never seen this much talent on this team , not even close.. 

2. I'm a believer in Quinn that we will have a top 4 D# this year..

3. And our O# should be much much better with an OL 33% better than last year.

4. With additions of Sanu , Hooper, Mack, Neal, and Shelby , Upshaw,, 

5.Ryan having one season under his belt in the new system.

6. You've got to remember, even last year with all our needs , and lack of understanding , we came close to the playoffs, Think how much better we should be with all the above.

On 01/07/2016 at 7:24 PM, Draftnut57 said:

One of the biggest reasons I say we will be a top 4 team this year is because I think our D# will be in the top 4 this year. It's like nobody is really looking at what we've done and the amazing players we have acquired in FAcy and the draft.  That is why I reposted them on the last page or two. It don't seem to be sinking in What kind of talent we now have. 

You are probably right, Even I think I may have gotten a little carried away with top 4 D# , But let me make this clear.. Our D# will be the talk of the talk shows.. We will be very good, That is the main reason why I think we will be a top 4 team this year.  If Freeman and Coleman stay healthy. Our D# is going to be very very good this year. Just a few reasons for this thread..  I'll say it once again,, Shelby and Upshaw will give this talented D# a huge shot in the arm.  Great D#,  with a Major Running Game.. and our WRs  to keep the opposing  DBs hopping,, I believe we will burn a lot of time on O# and Knock the breath out of the opposing D#s. 

Smh.

Edited by Bobby.Digital

On 7/2/2016 at 7:57 PM, JD dirtybird21 said:

That is not logic. That is a non-sequitur. You got new players coming in who may be better than the old one that left, but it will take a year for them to adjust, and even if they do, Falcons will have a much tougher schedule. Considering that the team has one of the easiest schedules last year and struggled to go 8 and 8, how do you figure they a top 10 team this year?

33 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

That is not logic. That is a non-sequitur. You got new players coming in who may be better than the old one that left, but it will take a year for them to adjust, and even if they do, Falcons will have a much tougher schedule. Considering that the team has one of the easiest schedules last year and struggled to go 8 and 8, how do you figure they a top 10 team this year?

Because they are talented. Franchise QB, arguably the best receiver in the NFL, a running back who had close to 2000 yards of scrimmage last year, a very good O-line, a pass rusher with one year behind him and a star corner who shuts down his side of the field. Just because on paper the Falcons schedule appears to be harder (which doesn't mean it actually WILL be when it's all said and done) doesn't mean automatic losses. This is Quinn's 2nd year, and Shanahan's 2nd year. They will be a better team. Again, I said 7 to 9 wins. The only way I see 4 wins or less is if we get hit hard with a bad injury bug. 

8 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Because they are talented. Franchise QB, arguably the best receiver in the NFL, a running back who had close to 2000 yards of scrimmage last year, a very good O-line, a pass rusher with one year behind him and a star corner who shuts down his side of the field. Just because on paper the Falcons schedule appears to be harder (which doesn't mean it actually WILL be when it's all said and done) doesn't mean automatic losses. This is Quinn's 2nd year, and Shanahan's 2nd year. They will be a better team. Again, I said 7 to 9 wins. The only way I see 4 wins or less is if we get hit hard with a bad injury bug. 

The line if the center pans out will be decent. Ryan is a good QB but "franchise"? Leading passrusher had 4 sacks and does have potential, but he is the only 1. Trufant is a very good corner, but only he can cover for so long because of a lack of pass rush. You seem to forget the Falcons were either dead last or next to it, in sacks. You keep pointing how you believe the team will improve while ignoring their competition and the improvement of whom they will face this year. How will the defense hold up when they aren't constantly facing backup QBs from struggling football teams fair? How will the offense fair when facing tougher defenses?

Do the other teams not exist? Do the other teams become stagnant while only the Falcons improve? Tampa has a bunch of young and upcoming talent with more experience. Cam came into his own last year and he gets his #1 WR back this year and he has a great defense. The Saints are meh. Lets not forget nondivisional opponents who did their best to improve also. In short you are only looking on how you think the Falcons did, with a bias of course, while ignoring everyone else.

Edited by Intellectually Honest

2 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

The line if the center pans out will be decent. Ryan is a good QB but "franchise"? Leading passrusher had 4 sacks and does have potential, but he is the only 1. Trufant is a very good corner, but only he can cover for so long because of a lack of pass rush. You seem to forget the Falcons were either dead last or next to it, in sacks. You keep pointing how you believe the team will improve while ignoring their competition and the improvement of whom they will face this year.

Do the other teams not exist? Do the other teams become stagnant while only the Falcons improve? Tampa has a bunch of young and upcoming talent with more experience. Cam came into his own last year and he gets his #1 WR back this year. The Saints are meh. Lets not forget nondivisional opponents who did their best to improve also.

I am taking into account the tougher schedule which is why I predicted 7 to 9 wins but also said the team would be a better team than last year. You are only factoring in the schedule but assuming that Beasley won't get better. You're also discrediting the O-line by saying it's just "decent" even though Schraeder is great, Matthews is going to get better and Mack is in a scheme he thrives in. My argument is the Falcons are talented and in year 2 of a new system. Theorectically, the result should be better. You're assuming everything will be the same as last year with a harder schedule which doesn't make sense

12 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I am taking into account the tougher schedule which is why I predicted 7 to 9 wins but also said the team would be a better team than last year. You are only factoring in the schedule but assuming that Beasley won't get better. You're also discrediting the O-line by saying it's just "decent" even though Schraeder is great, Matthews is going to get better and Mack is in a scheme he thrives in. My argument is the Falcons are talented and in year 2 of a new system. Theorectically, the result should be better. You're assuming everything will be the same as last year with a harder schedule which doesn't make sense

I never claimed Beasley won't get better. I said he has potential and I do assume he will be somewhat improved. How much, I don't know. My comment is that he is the only 1 guy. So that is a strawman. I didn't discredit the line either. I said they are a decent unit but will be facing tougher odds. Just because the OTs are good doesn't mean the rest of the line is. Even with Mack, who came off a down year, there is no guarantee he will have the same success here as he did in Cleveland. Also the guards are OK at best. They struggled along with the center last year. You are ignoring the fact that players going to new teams need time to adjust with their teammates. You are also forgetting the fact that many players success is based on their chemistry with certain players, scheme and so on. Well now you are bringing new players who had success with other teams, makes it no guarantee it will happen again. It may or may not. Your argument is a non-sequitur since even those players might improve in year 2, it doesn't follow that they necessarily will.

You are forgetting the other teams. Your whole argument is based on what the Falcons did and how you assume they will be better. What factors have you considered about the competition? The Falcons will be going from one of the easiest schedules in the NFL to one of the hardest. It won't be a slight increase in competition.

34 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

I never claimed Beasley won't get better. I said he has potential and I do assume he will be somewhat improved. How much, I don't know. My comment is that he is the only 1 guy. So that is a strawman. I didn't discredit the line either. I said they are a decent unit but will be facing tougher odds. Just because the OTs are good doesn't mean the rest of the line is. Even with Mack, who came off a down year, there is no guarantee he will have the same success here as he did in Cleveland. Also the guards are OK at best. They struggled along with the center last year. You are ignoring the fact that players going to new teams need time to adjust with their teammates. You are also forgetting the fact that many players success is based on their chemistry with certain players, scheme and so on. Well now you are bringing new players who had success with other teams, makes it no guarantee it will happen again. It may or may not. Your argument is a non-sequitur since even those players might improve in year 2, it doesn't follow that they necessarily will.

You are forgetting the other teams. Your whole argument is based on what the Falcons did and how you assume they will be better. What factors have you considered about the competition? The Falcons will be going from one of the easiest schedules in the NFL to one of the hardest. It won't be a slight increase in competition.

What you just described is EVERY team in the NFL. Every team gets new players, new coaches, has to build chemistry etc. That isn't a legitimate argument to use AGAINST the Falcons. The fact they the core players on the team are still here and 1 year into the system is an advantage. As for the schedule, you assume it's going to be extremely difficult. It could also NOT be. Don't forget that the Falcons beat the best team in the NFC last year, gave them their ONLY loss. If they can do that, that means they are a competitive team. As for your question about factors in the competition:

- I said the Falcons will be a better team than last year but predicted about the same record saying 7 to 9 wins. You can be a better team but not improve record wise. If the Falcons had the same strength of schedule as last season, I think they'd win 10-12 games. But because the schedule is harder, I think they finish middle of the pack again in terms of standings. 

Edited by JD dirtybird21

1 hour ago, Intellectually Honest said:

The line if the center pans out will be decent. Ryan is a good QB but "franchise"? Leading passrusher had 4 sacks and does have potential, but he is the only 1. Trufant is a very good corner, but only he can cover for so long because of a lack of pass rush. You seem to forget the Falcons were either dead last or next to it, in sacks. You keep pointing how you believe the team will improve while ignoring their competition and the improvement of whom they will face this year. How will the defense hold up when they aren't constantly facing backup QBs from struggling football teams fair? How will the offense fair when facing tougher defenses?

Do the other teams not exist? Do the other teams become stagnant while only the Falcons improve? Tampa has a bunch of young and upcoming talent with more experience. Cam came into his own last year and he gets his #1 WR back this year and he has a great defense. The Saints are meh. Lets not forget nondivisional opponents who did their best to improve also. In short you are only looking on how you think the Falcons did, with a bias of course, while ignoring everyone else.

The line with just Mack alone making line calls will be better than decent. Ryan is certainly a franchise qb. It would be hard for ANY qb to unseat him unless it's the usuall suspects in the top 5 and none of them are coming to the Falcons. Beasley is not the only pass rusher. Clayborn is a 5-7 sack guy easily. He's done it before in Tampa and can do it again. Had 3 sacks as an interior rusher last year. Now he's back to the outside where he produced in Tampa opposite Michael Bennet. And I'd like to know the teams that just have a multitude of pass rushers. Mostly every team in the nfl has one main rusher and the rest of the team compiles to get about 20-25 sacks. 

We we run cover 3 so Tru ain't gonna be covering forever in the 1st place. You can't go thru one game last season where he was covering forever. The defense is designed to take away the deep ball and force the qb to throw underneath hence why rb's and te's caught the most passes on us last season and now with more speed at lb those short dump off passes get minimal yards and no yac like last year so that theory of yours is just way off base simply because of the scheme we run. 

Backup qb's can beat you. It's not about just the qb but the whole makeup of the team. A good qb on a sucky team will lose. We beat eli IN ny. Is he a backup? He's a 2 time SB winner. We beat Cam on a season he was trying to set an nfl record. Is he a backup? Is cousins a backup? Is Bortles a backup? Bortles was one of the best qb's in the league last year so don't say he sucks. He was in the top 10 and so was his receivers. So again, it's about the WHOLE team. Not just the qb. Football is the ultimate team sport.

We're playing the GB packers not the GB Rodgers. They have a good overall team and the backup qb could beat you on that team. Tom Brady was a backup but he won a SB. Doug williams was a backup and won a SB. Jeff Hostetler was a backup and won a SB. Jim Plunket was a backup and won a SB. Why did they win? Because they were on good TEAMS. That backup qb theory is bullsh*t. It's about the team. By that logic Denver should've missed the playoffs when Peyton went down. The pats won 11 games without Brady and went to the playoffs with Casil. Just like Brady did before him. Steve Young was a backup for YEARS but when Montana went down he still won games when nobody knew who he was. 

At the end of the day it's about fielding a competitive TEAM. If we do that every single game is winnable against ANYBODY we play. We 're competing against ourselves. Not the other team. Their just in the way of what we're trying to achieve. THATS the mentality a team is supposed to have. Can't worry about who's on the schedule. Just compete and try to be better than you were last week cause that's the real competition. 

7 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

The line with just Mack alone making line calls will be better than decent. Ryan is certainly a franchise qb. It would be hard for ANY qb to unseat him unless it's the usuall suspects in the top 5 and none of them are coming to the Falcons. Beasley is not the only pass rusher. Clayborn is a 5-7 sack guy easily. He's done it before in Tampa and can do it again. Had 3 sacks as an interior rusher last year. Now he's back to the outside where he produced in Tampa opposite Michael Bennet. And I'd like to know the teams that just have a multitude of pass rushers. Mostly every team in the nfl has one main rusher and the rest of the team compiles to get about 20-25 sacks. 

We we run cover 3 so Tru ain't gonna be covering forever in the 1st place. You can't go thru one game last season where he was covering forever. The defense is designed to take away the deep ball and force the qb to throw underneath hence why rb's and te's caught the most passes on us last season and now with more speed at lb those short dump off passes get minimal yards and no yac like last year so that theory of yours is just way off base simply because of the scheme we run. 

Backup qb's can beat you. It's not about just the qb but the whole makeup of the team. A good qb on a sucky team will lose. We beat eli IN ny. Is he a backup? He's a 2 time SB winner. We beat Cam on a season he was trying to set an nfl record. Is he a backup? Is cousins a backup? Is Bortles a backup? Bortles was one of the best qb's in the league last year so don't say he sucks. He was in the top 10 and so was his receivers. So again, it's about the WHOLE team. Not just the qb. Football is the ultimate team sport.

We're playing the GB packers not the GB Rodgers. They have a good overall team and the backup qb could beat you on that team. Tom Brady was a backup but he won a SB. Doug williams was a backup and won a SB. Jeff Hostetler was a backup and won a SB. Jim Plunket was a backup and won a SB. Why did they win? Because they were on good TEAMS. That backup qb theory is bullsh*t. It's about the team. By that logic Denver should've missed the playoffs when Peyton went down. The pats won 11 games without Brady and went to the playoffs with Casil. Just like Brady did before him. Steve Young was a backup for YEARS but when Montana went down he still won games when nobody knew who he was. 

At the end of the day it's about fielding a competitive TEAM. If we do that every single game is winnable against ANYBODY we play. We 're competing against ourselves. Not the other team. Their just in the way of what we're trying to achieve. THATS the mentality a team is supposed to have. Can't worry about who's on the schedule. Just compete and try to be better than you were last week cause that's the real competition. 

One of the best post on this blog.. I've been thinking since my last post on here.. If Freeman has a year just close to last year..It could be a little less and still be a great year for him,  And if Coleman can stay healthy ,,, That will not only eat up time for the oppossing D# and wear them down,, And even more so if Coleman just plays well and helps pound the ground with an average of 3.5 a carry, , hoping for more but if he dose that along with Freeman's yards, we will wear the opposing Ds down and keep the ball longer than our opponents ...Plus our New D# is going to be at least 25% better . If we have time of possession. We will win at least 10 games. And I have no reason to think we will not be at the very least 20% better,  And that would equal to 3 more games..  8+3=11, 

9 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

So you are speculating and trying to say that is the reason why the Falcons are better. I agree MR is not going anywhere, but other QBs are comparable and wouldn't need to be elite if the Falcons ever did offer them money and MR needed to compete with them for the job. Right now I would think if Andy Dalton were to compete with MR for the same QB job, he would win. It is just the Falcons have no one else and have bigger problems than worrying about replacing MR anytime soon. As for Adrian Clayborn. he had 7.5 sacks his rookie year and it's been downhill sense then. He doesn't have a Michael Bennett helping him, so bringing that guy up only makes your case weaker.

Your reasoning why RBs and TEs were able to catch the ball well against this team has nothing to do with preventing the deep ball. It has to do with any QB going through their progressions and being able to target them and those positions being open because the Falcons LBs were slow and a lack of a pass rush. Falcons attempted to fix that this year. So the speed is there but not the experience. QBs on bad teams were able to beat the Falcons or compete. That is not a good reason to think the Falcons will do better. It is worse, because the likeliness that last year's anomaly of the Falcons consistently facing teams with their best players, or QBs hurt is not likely to happen as often. So while it is not impossible for backups to help teams win, it is less likely to occur by comparison to their starters who out competed them for the job. You are arguing about possibility. I am talking about probability. So you are still dealing with wishful thinking.

I am glad you pointed out the whole team because as a whole team the Falcons are mediocre. You mentioned in earlier posts about some of the better players saying how talented the team is where you a trying to pretend that 5 good players makes the team talented while ignoring the rest. MR is good but not great. You have the 2 OTs who are good not great. JJ is great. I think Freeman has a chance to be great if he can stay healthy and did really well. Trufant is very good. You have Mack who may be great again. We will see. You have Beasley who has the potential and may be great one day but isn't there yet. The rest of the team is OK at best and most are below average. The new additions to the team we will see. Going 8-8 with a weak schedule is not evidence of a good team.

Lastly, "we" aren't competing in the game. You and I are spectators, so I don't know why you are vicariously living through the players. The Falcons aren't competing against themselves. They are competing against other teams. You are just giving a platitude as your reasoning. The idea of doing better each week is silly since the idea of effort translating as success doesn't necessarily follow. There is this notion, not just with the Falcons but for any team, that if you work really hard and are passionate you will out compete your competition. Well that idea doesn't include skill, athletic ability, or level of competition. So while if 2 people of the same talent level were to compete and the guy who gives the more effort will probably win, players don't face others of equal talent. They may be better or worse than the other guy, and sometimes all the effort in the world is not going to help. People have their limitations, whatever they are. For many it is about processing information, and simply being passionate is not going to make a player smarter as an example.

So by giving your platitude with "Any given Sunday" that is really for the fans. Teams don't invest time in analyzing players if they thought all of them have the same chances in succeeding in the NFL. That idea is about giving fans the impression that just because your favorite team is down on it's luck now, things can change, to give them hope and to inspire them to continue watching the product. If fans lose faith in their favorite team the NFL loses money.

15 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

So you are speculating and trying to say that is the reason why the Falcons are better. I agree MR is not going anywhere, but it's not like other QBs aren't comparable and don't need to be elite. It is just the Falcons have no one else and have bigger problems than worrying about replacing MR anytime soon. Adrian Clayborn had 7.5 sacks his rookie year and it's been downhill sense then. He doesn't have a Michael Bennett helping him, so bringing that guy up only makes your case weaker.

Your reasoning why RBs and TEs were able to catch the ball well against this team has nothing to do with preventing the deep ball. It has to do with any QB going through there progressions and being able to target them and those positions being open because the Falcons LBs were slow and a lack of a pass rush. Falcons attempted to fix that this year. So the speed is there but not the experience. QBs on bad teams were able to beat the Falcons or compete. That is not a good reason to think the Falcons will do better. It is worse, because the likeliness that last year's anomaly of the Falcons consistently facing teams with their best players, or QBs hurt is not likely to happen as often. So while it is not impossible for backups to help teams win, it is less likely to occur by comparison to their starters who out competed them for the job. You are arguing about possibility. I am talking about probability. So you are still dealing with wishful thinking.

I am glad you pointed out the whole team because as a whole team the Falcons are weak. You mentioned in earlier posts about some of the better players saying how talented the team is where you a trying to pretend that 5 good players makes the team talented while ignoring the rest. MR is good but not great. You have the 2 OTs who are good not great. JJ is great. I think Freeman has a chance to be great if he can stay healthy and did really well. Trufant is very good. You have Mack who may be great again. We will see. You have Beasley who has the potential and may be great one day but isn't there yet. The rest of the team is OK at best and most are below average. The new additions to the team we will see. Going 8-8 with a weak schedule is not evidence of a good team.

Lastly, "we" aren't competing in the game. You and I are spectators, so I don't know why you are vicariously living through the players. The Falcons aren't competing against themselves. They are competing against other teams. You are just giving a platitude as your reasoning. The idea of doing better each weak is silly since the idea of effort necessarily translating as success doesn't necessarily follow. There is this notion, not just with the Falcons but for any team, that if you work really hard and are passionate you will out compete your competition. Well that idea doesn't include skill, athletic ability, or level of competition. So while if 2 people of the same talent level were to compete and the guy who gives the more effort will probably win, players don't face others of equal talent. They may be better or worse than the other guy, and sometimes all the effort in the world is not going to help. People have their limitations, whatever they are. For many it is about processing information, and simply being passionate is not going to make a player smarter as an example.

So by giving your platitude with "Any given sunday" that is really for the fans. Teams don't invest time in analyzing players if they thought all of them have the same chances in succeeding in the NFL. That idea is about giving fans the impression that just because your favorite team is down on it's luck now, things can change, to give them hope and to inspire them to continue watching the product. If fans lose faith in their favorite team the NFL loses money.

I'm just a fan, I'm not paid to make this blog and no one ask me to. I did it because I feel that confident in this team this year. Do you realize that  Campbell, De'Vondre is the exact same size as Austin Hooper??? Other than Hooper weighs 16 lbs more than Campbell. Yeap! Something to think about.. This team is IMO at least 20% better talent wise than it was last year.. Also Taking into account this will be our 2nd year in the new system,  FA pickups were the best in the 44 years I've been a fan, and this draft is solid from beginning to the end.. Main thing is we got the players we needed that we didn't get in FAcy. 

4 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

I'm just a fan, I'm not paid to make this blog and no one ask me to. I did it because I feel that confident in this team this year. Do you realize that  Campbell, De'Vondre is the exact same size as Austin Hooper??? Other than Hooper weighs 16 lbs more than Campbell. Yeap! Something to think about.. This team is IMO at least 20% better talent wise than it was last year.. Also Taking into account this will be our 2nd year in the new system,  FA pickups were the best in the 44 years I've been a fan, and this draft is solid from beginning to the end.. Main thing is we got the players we needed that we didn't get in FAcy. 

How is speculating a metric for evaluating talent?

6 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

How is speculating a metric for evaluating talent?

Well, I actually am wondering if that may be a negative on Campbell as far as that goes,, Makes me a little concerned if he can stay healthy at that height.  He's the only pick I do wonder if we made the right choice on.. If He does well, this draft will have a high grade come the end of the season.