Jump to content

Reasons why we'll be Top 4 in 2016


Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Good post. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. I'm not even convinced Freeman is the best RB on this team.

 

Turner to me was our Earl Campbell. And let's not forget, Burner lost his first 4 years playing behind LT....

That's true about Turner when it comes to the value of the team. But freeman is definitely our best back. He's not the fastest back but he's the best. Emmitt Smith wasn't the "best" back on those Dallas teams as far as speed and tangibles but he was the best all around back. That's what Freeman is. He's our best complete back. He had 1600 yards last year and missed 2 games from injury and didn't start until the 3rd game of the season so that 1600 could've easily been 2000 all purpose. Ala Rodger Craig, Marshall Faulk, Terrell Davis.

 

Freeman will join the ranks of Marshall Faulk being a 1k rusher and receiver. I think he's highly underrated by the world and our fanbase but I've been watching him since FSU. He has something. Has the kind of work ethic you want from a player and when he takes on a more leadership role he'll be even better. Coleman could unseat him but only if he becomes the threat all around that freeman is. Being a speed demon back alone isn't gonna do it. BUT I am happy we have 2 very capable backs that can stress a defense out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, theProf said:

Three reasons why the Falcons will make the playoffs

Alex Hoegler,Cover32

Though the Falcons play in a competitive NFC South, this team is more primed than ever before to finally put up and make the postseason in 2016.

Here are three reasons why it’ll happen.

  1. Balanced offense

Matt Ryan never had an elite running back to work with, then Devonta Freeman came along to post a 1,061-rushing yard season that saw him reach the endzone 11 times. Also, Tevin Coleman showed flashes as a second back.

Julio Jones remained the best receiver in the NFC South, but Ryan didn’t have any other reliable targets to throw to. Enter Sanu, whose speed and deep-threat talents will help ease the pressure off Jones. Third-round pick tight end Austin Hooper out of Stanford also promises to help in the passing game.

Looking around, Ryan’s offense has never been so complete. He has a reliable ground game to help, and three reliable passing targets.

2. Offensive line is elite

The Falcons offensive line was a mess for years, but the rising stock of 2014 first-rounder Jake Matthews has made it better. In just his third year, he should be reaching his prime now, giving the Falcons the guy on the o-line they’ve always lacked.

But the Falcons don’t stop there. Center Alex Mack, one of the premier linemen in the league, signed a five-year, $45 million contract with the team. Atlanta now has two stars anchoring the offensive line. That’s huge when Thomas Davis, Luke Kuechly, Star Lotulelei, Cameron Jordan, Lavonte David and Gerald McCoy are pass-rushers in the division.

3. Defense finally looks complete

After years of being unable to stop the pass, make a difference against the run and having virtually no pass-rush, Dan Quinn has already built this squad into a unit that looks like the Seattle Seahawks he ran for two years.

Desmond Trufant is a top-five shutdown corner in the NFL, and Robert Alford is a nice complementary piece. If Keanu Neal can produce immediately, the Falcons secondary could be the best in the NFC South.

The pass-rush and rush defense, which were this team’s main weakness for years, have been addressed. Shelby, Upshaw and Weatherspoon will work with Adrian Clayborn and Vic Beasley to get more pressure on the quarterback without allowing 110-plus rushing yards a game.

Atlanta has to feel confident in their defense, which is set to take the league by storm in 2016.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/three-reasons-why-falcons-playoffs-110907850.html

Thank you Prof for posting this, I have not seen this until now,, And the exact reason I made this thread, I happen to agree with every word he sayes, I saw these things that he mentions  right after the draft and thus this thread I had to put up.  I knew if after the amazing Free agents we got this year, if we had a good draft that we would be a great team this year.. And I know , I know it hasn't even started, But I'm  more confident we will be a top team than any year since I became a Falcon Fan in 1972.  This guy Alex knows what he's talking about.!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey @Draftnut57,   We also have the potential to finally have multiple playmaking WR.   

Jones/Sanu threaten WR screens on both sides of the field

Jones/Sanu/Hardy/Robinson/Fuller threaten slants from both sides of the field

Jones/Robinson/Fuller threaten go routes

Jones/Robinson/Fuller/Sanu/Hardy/Sanu threaten double moves

Jones/Sanu/Fuller can break tackles

Jones/Sanu/Fuller/Hardy/Robinson can shake-n-bake

 

Seems like the great WCO teams could offer threats across the formation, so ..... ????

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jb 3.0 said:

SO........When the Falcons fail to live up to these ridiculous expectations, can EVERYONE here count on you to show the same zeal as you eat crow that little if anything you've said in these last 11 pages failed to come to pass.

Christ!!! On most boards, even a Homer-ridden board like this one, you would've been laughed off it months ago along with Gazoo.

Good thing you two have Mods threatening to ban anyone that disagrees too vehemently.:lol:

    Yes Sir, If I'm wrong, I will take my crow soup like a man,,, I grew up a country boy, I've eaten many Squirl , Deer, Dove, Robin, Rabbit, Quail, etc,, Squirl Dumplings are the best,, As good as Chicken and dumplings ,  Fish I caught out of the creek, When I was around 5 or 6 and at my Grandma's house, I'd go to the creek, find a limb , tie string to the pole, Ask Grandma if I could have a Savty pin, I'd tie it to the end of the stick and find me a worm or a grasshopper, put it on my Safty pin tied to my string and catch fish in the little creek in the field. It was hard to get the fish in with no barb in the safety pin. A lot got away, but I got some in took them to the house , cleaned and ate them. Country boy will survive ~~~~Country boy willllllllllll Surrrrrrrrvive~~~~  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, falcoatlantae said:

Hey @Draftnut57,   We also have the potential to finally have multiple playmaking WR.   

Jones/Sanu threaten WR screens on both sides of the field

Jones/Sanu/Hardy/Robinson/Fuller threaten slants from both sides of the field

Jones/Robinson/Fuller threaten go routes

Jones/Robinson/Fuller/Sanu/Hardy/Sanu threaten double moves

Jones/Sanu/Fuller can break tackles

Jones/Sanu/Fuller/Hardy/Robinson can shake-n-bake

 

Seems like the great WCO teams could offer threats across the formation, so ..... ????

 

 I tell ya falcoatlandtae , I'm already hyped up about the potential of this team.. People don't understand my hype.. But all they need to do is look at the players we got this off season and understand we now have the right Head Coach, Players , and one year under our belt..  Talent level is what I'm all about... Never seen it on this fashion,, Old preachers term. Every time I look at the players just like you just put up, I get Reved up... No wonder some call me Rev.. I am an Evangelist also. And I am Reved up about this team.

 Bottom line is this ,,, Not taking into account for anything else,, Just the talent we have on this team alone is going to give us at least 11 wins, That should get us into the playoffs, And by that time this team will have learned each other and will be 20 % better than the first of this season, Therefor getting us to the NFC Championship game which would put us in the top 4. If I'm wrong , I'll admit it and take my crow like a man. But I don't believe that meal will ever be set before me.  :wiggle:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

 I tell ya falcoatlandtae , I'm already hyped up about the potential of this team.. People don't understand my hype.. But all they need to do is look at the players we got this off season and understand we now have the right Head Coach, Players , and one year under our belt..  Talent level is what I'm all about... Never seen it on this fashion,, Old preachers term. Every time I look at the players just like you just put up, I get Reved up... No wonder some call me Rev.. I am an Evangelist also. And I am Reved up about this team.

 Bottom line is this ,,, Not taking into account for anything else,, Just the talent we have on this team alone is going to give us at least 11 wins, That should get us into the playoffs, And by that time this team will have learned each other and will be 20 % better than the first of this season, Therefor getting us to the NFC Championship game which would put us in the top 4. If I'm wrong , I'll admit it and take my crow like a man. But I don't believe that meal will ever be set before me.  :wiggle:

This would be great, but i think we are at least another year away.  Our defense will have to carry us.  IMO I don't think we have the QB to pull the wagon far enough.  Now I would love to eat crow on that...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Freeman is an elite athlete. He CAN be an elite player. Turner was kinda a one trick pony but he did his one trick very well. Freeman is like Marshall Faulk in the sense of he can run, catch, line up as a wr, block, etc...You were never gonna see turner out wide or used heavily in the passing game. 

 You are correct IMO. Last year if you will  remember I made Only one big Pre Season post like this one , And it was  about How Freeman would be the starter and be a very good back,, A lot of people didn't believe it, But they were made believers as the Season played out.. That post didn't take off like this one but everybody on here at the time saw it. I will have to say , I believe Freeman would be a great RB, But he even preceded my expectation, and I was higher on Him than anybody on these boards.. This year this post I truly believe we take that step into one of the top 4 best teams in the league. Yes, I understand I'm setting myself up for a lot of Ha ha, you were wrong,, But barring injury to Ryan or Freeman,, I don't think I'll have any crow come post season. I'm stoked about this Awesome group of players we now have,, 

All I can say is ,, Open your eyes and go back and look at the FAs and Draft picks we got this off season.. Man Kind!! How can you not believe.. Hey We beat  the 2nd best team in the league,, Panthers last year with a lot of missing pieces, Weak OL, Weak S position, Weak in not knowing new system.  We now have at least 20% more talent on this team than last year plus a years learning curb under the road.. Open your eyes fans ,,,  We are loaded this year. Wow....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

 I tell ya falcoatlandtae , I'm already hyped up about the potential of this team.. People don't understand my hype.. But all they need to do is look at the players we got this off season and understand we now have the right Head Coach, Players , and one year under our belt..  Talent level is what I'm all about... Never seen it on this fashion,, Old preachers term. Every time I look at the players just like you just put up, I get Reved up... No wonder some call me Rev.. I am an Evangelist also. And I am Reved up about this team.

 Bottom line is this ,,, Not taking into account for anything else,, Just the talent we have on this team alone is going to give us at least 11 wins, That should get us into the playoffs, And by that time this team will have learned each other and will be 20 % better than the first of this season, Therefor getting us to the NFC Championship game which would put us in the top 4. If I'm wrong , I'll admit it and take my crow like a man. But I don't believe that meal will ever be set before me.  :wiggle:

@Draftnut57  I'm hyped up about the team too.     I think you're right about Shelby and Upshaw, among others.  People are going to be surprised.   Last year, the OL in the offseason/preseason was in chaos. This year, barring injury (where is the fingers-crossed emoji ?), the OL is focusing on teamwork rather than playbook.  

Then there is the upside of both CB, WR, RB, TE, Reed, Hageman, Coaching Wisdom.   At the very least, I think it is going to be a Respectable year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Stolenn87 said:

This would be great, but i think we are at least another year away.  Our defense will have to carry us.  IMO I don't think we have the QB to pull the wagon far enough.  Now I would love to eat crow on that...

I respectfully disagree.  MR not only had to worry about learning a new scheme last year, he also had to adjust for all the other offensive players learning the scheme.  This year is going to be different than last year.   

Conversely, if I have to eat crow on my optimism, so be it.

For the offense this upcoming season, I think it really depends on the OL.  If they get their act together, then top 5 offense.   Why?

  • Sanu is good for a new playmaker.  Too much experience and demonstrated productivity not to contribute
    • WR2 whom can break tackles and win fades
  • Robinson has demonstrated productivity in a KS scheme.  
    • I don't think he ever got a fair test in Washington due to Snyder
  • Coleman at least deserves the same time afforded Devonta.
    • Devonta did not seem destined to be a superstar after his first season.  yet look at him now ...
  • Hardy is a baller.  He appears to have learned a lot in his first season.  
  • Fuller has speed and size.
  • Hooper looks to be a baller.
    • I can't break this down into measurables, but when I look at his college pseudo-tape,  I see a guy who wants to play to win.

 

So @Stolenn87, TL;DR Matt Ryan has a larger, better set of playmakers this upcoming season.  This could make a big difference when MR is under pressure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Stolenn87 said:

This would be great, but i think we are at least another year away.  Our defense will have to carry us.  IMO I don't think we have the QB to pull the wagon far enough.  Now I would love to eat crow on that...

Ahhh,,,, I'll just put it this way,,,, I think your chances of crow are even higher than mine,, I'm saying we will be a top 4, so my chances of crow are high, But for you to say we don't have the QB to pull the wagon far enough... If he has an injury it wouldn't be his fault, and if he does stay healthy ,  He's one of the best in the league.. Very smart with a lot of wisdom now as any older QB.. I truly believe he will see a championship some time with in the next 3 years, and that includes this one. Oh, did I tell you , I'm a believer in Ryan, Quinn,  and this team we now have....?? :swoon:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People just don't appreciate the difficulty of the scheme change.  Aaron Rodgers was afforded a good long time to learn the McCarthy WCO.   Plus all the receivers had gotten up to speed while Favre was the QB.

Crossing my fingers regarding injuries, otherwise I expect a great offensive year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Vandy said:

If Michael Turner was not an elite RB in 2008 in Ryan's rookie season I don't know who is. 

Lots of RBs not named Michael Turner. 

IDK. How do we define elite? Elite season? Yeah, thats fair. He has so productive that its tough to argue that he wasnt. Elite level of play? Meh. Decent. Decent + durable = very good, IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, falcoatlantae said:

I respectfully disagree.  MR not only had to worry about learning a new scheme last year, he also had to adjust for all the other offensive players learning the scheme.  This year is going to be different than last year.   

Conversely, if I have to eat crow on my optimism, so be it.

For the offense this upcoming season, I think it really depends on the OL.  If they get their act together, then top 5 offense.   Why?

  • Sanu is good for a new playmaker.  Too much experience and demonstrated productivity not to contribute
    • WR2 whom can break tackles and win fades
  • Robinson has demonstrated productivity in a KS scheme.  
    • I don't think he ever got a fair test in Washington due to Snyder
  • Coleman at least deserves the same time afforded Devonta.
    • Devonta did not seem destined to be a superstar after his first season.  yet look at him now ...
  • Hardy is a baller.  He appears to have learned a lot in his first season.  
  • Fuller has speed and size.
  • Hooper looks to be a baller.
    • I can't break this down into measurables, but when I look at his college pseudo-tape,  I see a guy who wants to play to win.

 

So @Stolenn87, TL;DR Matt Ryan has a larger, better set of playmakers this upcoming season.  This could make a big difference when MR is under pressure.

If Coleman comes out strong and makes a second year jump like Freeman, That would be the key to open our door to going deep into the play offs. Our D# IMO is going to be one of the best in the league this year. If we get two RBs balling like Freeman did last year.. WE can ride them into the playoffs . You know what they say,, It takes a great D# and running game to take it all.. It doesn't hurt to have JJ and Sanu. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I fully expect our offense to be top 5 in the NFL in points scored and possibly even in total yards. I think those doubting Matt Ryan are off their rockers, Matty Ice finally  has got the kind of talent around him Tom Brady has most years. In 2012 he also had good talent around him, but this year it's more versitile and he may even have a al defense (also like Tom Brady has most years)

Back in 2012 we had a good RB in Michael Turner, but he was one dimensional. He had a awesome receiving TE in Gonzo who couldn't block worth a dam. 

This year, the versatility on offense is better than it's ever been for Ryan. He's got collectively on offense for the first time  he's got a group of big receivers in Julio at 6'3" 220lbs, Sanu at 6'2" 210lbs who can block, a 6'8" 265lb TE and a 6'4" 254lbs TE who can both block and catch in red zone and versitile running backs like Brady, Rodgers, Brees and Peyton Manning have always had who can run, catch and block ( as opposed to the one dimensional Turner).

Matty Ice also has Alex Mack making line calls and holding a pocket for him with two very talented and young bookend offensive tackles.

Look out NFL defenses, our offense is going to light it up this year. He who doubts Matty Ice's ability with this kind of talent around him will come to scrape egg off their faces. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I fully expect our offense to be top 5 in the NFL in points scored and possibly even in total yards. I think those doubting Matt Ryan are off their rockers, Matty Ice finally  has got the kind of talent around him Tom Brady has most years. In 2012 he also had good talent around him, but this year it's more versitile and he may even have a al defense (also like Tom Brady has most years)

Back in 2012 we had a good RB in Michael Turner, but he was one dimensional. He had a awesome receiving TE in Gonzo who couldn't block worth a dam. 

This year, the versatility on offense is better than it's ever been for Ryan. He's got collectively on offense for the first time  he's got a group of big receivers in Julio at 6'3" 220lbs, Sanu at 6'2" 210lbs who can block, a 6'8" 265lb TE and a 6'4" 254lbs TE who can both block and catch in red zone and versitile running backs like Brady, Rodgers, Brees and Peyton Manning have always had who can run, catch and block ( as opposed to the one dimensional Turner).

Matty Ice also has Alex Mack making line calls and holding a pocket for him with two very talented and young bookend offensive tackles.

Look out NFL defenses, our offense is going to light it up this year. He who doubts Matty Ice's ability with this kind of talent around him will come to scrape egg off their faces. 

LOL @ this . This is the same Gazoo that said this nonsense last year and then famously deleted the topic. Matt Ryan has lead Falcons to top 5 in pts once in his career and never have the Falcons been top 5 in yards with Ryan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I fully expect our offense to be top 5 in the NFL in points scored and possibly even in total yards. I think those doubting Matt Ryan are off their rockers, Matty Ice finally  has got the kind of talent around him Tom Brady has most years. In 2012 he also had good talent around him, but this year it's more versitile and he may even have a al defense (also like Tom Brady has most years)

Back in 2012 we had a good RB in Michael Turner, but he was one dimensional. He had a awesome receiving TE in Gonzo who couldn't block worth a dam. 

This year, the versatility on offense is better than it's ever been for Ryan. He's got collectively on offense for the first time  he's got a group of big receivers in Julio at 6'3" 220lbs, Sanu at 6'2" 210lbs who can block, a 6'8" 265lb TE and a 6'4" 254lbs TE who can both block and catch in red zone and versitile running backs like Brady, Rodgers, Brees and Peyton Manning have always had who can run, catch and block ( as opposed to the one dimensional Turner).

Matty Ice also has Alex Mack making line calls and holding a pocket for him with two very talented and young bookend offensive tackles.

Look out NFL defenses, our offense is going to light it up this year. He who doubts Matty Ice's ability with this kind of talent around him will come to scrape egg off their faces. 

  Exactly ! And here's the BIG DEAL, IMO our D# is going to be better than our O# ,, Our D# will be as good as any D# this team has ever had and will rank higher than our O#,, As I said in last post on here, If Coleman makes that 2nd year jump that Freeman made,  Look out fans,,,, And people wonder why I'm so hyped about the 2016 season ??   :swoon:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, DanG said:

LOL @ this . This is the same Gazoo that said this nonsense last year and then famously deleted the topic. Matt Ryan has lead Falcons to top 5 in pts once in his career and never have the Falcons been top 5 in yards with Ryan

Here's the only reason why we didn't win those other two games we needed to make post season play,,  The team had not made the complete transformation from our old scheme to the New one. Plus we didn't have the OL we needed to win that other couple of games to help us make the playoffs, But here's the big deal.. That caused this franchise to go out and blow the off season up in a good way,, Getting the best and most high end FAs ever, and then knocking it out of the park with our draft. 

Bottom line,, This will put us as not only a top team in Young talent this year, But also the adjustments made from the mistakes we had last year.. in turn will make this team the best team we've seen in nearly 10 years.. I actually think this team will end up being the best Falcon team ever assembled. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Lots of RBs not named Michael Turner. 

IDK. How do we define elite? Elite season? Yeah, thats fair. He has so productive that its tough to argue that he wasnt. Elite level of play? Meh. Decent. Decent + durable = very good, IMO. 

Yes, that was my point. He had an elite season in 2008....Turner was a very good RB in his career as a falcon, with a couple of what I would categorize as elite seasons during his time here.....

Edited by Vandy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't know about top 4, do think they have more quality depth than any time since 2012.

Said this in another thread, falcons played about 2600 snaps last year, change 2 plays out of those 2600 and the Falcons win 10 games and everybody is more excited and hopeful about this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

Here's the only reason why we didn't win those other two games we needed to make post season play,,  The team had not made the complete transformation from our old scheme to the New one. Plus we didn't have the OL we needed to win that other couple of games to help us make the playoffs, But here's the big deal.. That caused this franchise to go out and blow the off season up in a good way,, Getting the best and most high end FAs ever, and then knocking it out of the park with our draft. 

Bottom line,, This will put us as not only a top team in Young talent this year, But also the adjustments made from the mistakes we had last year.. in turn will make this team the best team we've seen in nearly 10 years.. I actually think this team will end up being the best Falcon team ever assembled. 

Draftnit you been spewing nonsense way to long. Dont let me bump up your predictions and positive outlooks from last season. Dont let me drop the hammer on you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...