Greg Cosell on Keanu Neal

atljbo

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's ultimately why I loved this draft and the Neal pick after initially not liking it.  DQ is getting exactly what he thinks he needs and not who's popular.  Whether any of it works is up in the air but at least I will know who called these shots.  Every pick is double branded with DQ and KS.  

I've always been excited about the new players and looking forward to seeing if they make a difference.  But then again, being a fan of THIS team, I've always have had to be "cautiously optimistic" as well.  I like the Neal pick BUT, as always, will reserve my optimism and wait to see how it translates on the field.  As for a 'forecast' of what he will do, no way Jose'. He's got to win the position first and THEN go out there and earn it like everyone else does (or doesn't).  I do think we went in high at the right position, just hope Neal brings it and I certainly think that he can. 

4 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Personally I would like to see just one more playmaker on the front seven and it will look more promising for me. 

I hear you, but keep in mind we have 3 players there who could break out.  I'm not saying they will, but let's say Hageman has a beast of a year.  Or Jarrett.  And I think we all assume Beasley will improve.  Just one of the other two taking a step forward could be monstrous.  Then there's Shelby, who we don't really know but for his track record (which isn't "playmaker" so much as "good contributor"), and moving Clayborn back outside.  

Would I love to have one more beast (preferably at DT)?  Yeah, I would.  But I think 2 years from now we'll be in a better place to judge. 

I guess what I'm saying is I share your skepticism, but I also think there is reason for some optimism.  No one is proven yet, not even Beasley.  But if Neal and Jones are solid to good, and just one of the other linemen step up, we're looking at a vastly improved defensive unit.  If not, we shouldn't be any worse at least, and I like what they did last season for the most part.  On defense, that is.

Just now, JDaveG said:

I hear you, but keep in mind we have 3 players there who could break out.  I'm not saying they will, but let's say Hageman has a beast of a year.  Or Jarrett.  And I think we all assume Beasley will improve.  Just one of those two could be monstrous.  Then there's Shelby, who we don't really know but for his track record (which isn't "playmaker" so much as "good contributor"), and moving Clayborn back outside.  

Would I love to have one more beast (preferably at DT)?  Yeah, I would.  But I think 2 years from now we'll be in a better place to judge. 

I guess what I'm saying is I share your skepticism, but I also think there is reason for some optimism.  No one is proven yet, not even Beasley.  But if Neal and Jones are solid to good, and just one of the other linemen step up, we're looking at a vastly improved defensive unit.  If not, we shouldn't be any worse at least, and I like what they did last season for the most part.  On defense, that is.

I just hate it all being placed on Beasley. Shades of Abraham. I see the other guys but you really want that one guy who can do things.

4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I hear you, but keep in mind we have 3 players there who could break out.  I'm not saying they will, but let's say Hageman has a beast of a year.  Or Jarrett.  And I think we all assume Beasley will improve.  Just one of the other two taking a step forward could be monstrous.  Then there's Shelby, who we don't really know but for his track record (which isn't "playmaker" so much as "good contributor"), and moving Clayborn back outside.  

I've always been high on Hageman.  I think this becomes his year he either busts out or goes out.  He's got to get that 'mean streak' in him and keep it for 60 minutes.  If he does, that will be HUGE.  

I think Shelby is going to do very well.  So many people underestimate him.  I watched him come in last year in Miami and the guy's a legitimate 'Beast'. 

Edited by falconfansince66

35 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I just hate it all being placed on Beasley. Shades of Abraham. I see the other guys but you really want that one guy who can do things.

when we didnt sign a big name DE.. To me the pass rsuh will mainly be on Beasley this year...I didnt see a rookie besides maybe Spence if he gets right.. That can produce numbers.

Let me say this ... I do think we are in better shape... I think we added some power players .. I include Brooks Reed to becuse the guy was basically injured last year... (UpShaw,Reed, and Shelby) .. We also need our Young guys to step uop with Jarrett and Shede.

But yea.. unless a UDFA surprise us.. Beasley is the only true speed rusher that we have

2 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Personally I would like to see just one more playmaker on the front seven and it will look more promising for me. 

Yeah, I really hoped for a pocket pusher.

How did you like Hargrave? I really wanted him in the 3rd.  Raw, but seemed like he had some bully potential.

We essentially grabbed a few power players for the left side (both at DE and SLB) and grabbed 3 LBs in the draft (I'm just going to think of Neal as a coverage LB for purposes of this D).

So, we upgraded the front 7 a lot, just not the front 4 as much as I hoped.  Had they taken Hargrave, we'd have another "opportunity" for someone to be dominant, and then take a bad man DE next year, and that would be that.

But I like to see a cohesive strategy at least, so we'll see what happens.

I understand his role and what people see in him. It's just going to take time for some of us to get excited over him. I like him, but that's about it. 

I feel you. I really like him too, and I understand why we wanted him, but I'm still a little deflated after the guy I wanted most fell right in our laps and we passed. But I'm sure we have our reasons. 

One on each level would be nice I'm yet to really see it with the LBers orD-line.Agree with your comment putting it all on Beasley.

2 hours ago, takeitdown said:

Yeah, I really hoped for a pocket pusher.

Babs can still penetrate like nobody's business. If we can get 16 games of Hageman playing like he did against the Panthers (2nd game), Cowboys and Saints he'll probably kill someone and Grady ain't no slouch. It's basically up to them to put it all together but the potential to wreak havoc is there. Heck even Mbu was pushing fools back the couple games he got to play in. Being able to cover RBs & TEs will be huge

6 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

That's ultimately why I loved this draft and the Neal pick after initially not liking it.  DQ is getting exactly what he thinks he needs and not who's popular.  Whether any of it works is up in the air but at least I will know who called these shots.  Every pick is double branded with DQ and KS.  

I still like this lol

5 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I saw absolutely no one in the draft for the edge. Wasn't a real fan of any DTs either. LBs either...lol

That was my take too, and one reason I was pretty happy about the Neal pick.  Because all the DEs, DTs and LBs were on the board when we took him, so it told me he really was our pick -- we didn't settle.

And that told me that we might, for just once, have gotten the best player for us instead of grabbing whoever at whatever position we thought was more important.  Which is pretty funny if you think about it -- I trust that TD finally went BPA only because he made the pick no one thought he would make :lol:

6 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I saw absolutely no one in the draft for the edge. Wasn't a real fan of any DTs either. LBs either...lol

Perhaps that is why we drafted Neal.  At #17, there were no real clear cut, can't-miss pass rushers.  Neal has that attitude, talent, size and smarts to excel in this defense from day one.  I think it was a smart pick. 

The only problem I have with this draft is our seventh round pick.  We had the opportunity to draft an exceptional athlete in Alex McCalister.  In my opinion, he is the sleeper in this draft with the greatest potential.  I understand that he had some off field problems mixed with injuries, but this guy is off the charts and might have flourished under Quinn's tutelage.  

That is my only regret.  If your only regret is a 7th-round pick, then I would call it a successful draft. 

6 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Apparently, Falcons didn't see anybody they really liked either. If you assume that, then their draft makes perfect sense. Fill the other holes, let the youngsters on the DLine develop, see what you have, maybe make a trade next year to pick up the edge rusher.

Will say that, if this D IS good, it'll be good for years-all the key pieces [cept Tru] will be in their first contract-young and cheap. Be nice to see Ryan have a solid D backing him up.