Seattle wins with non drafted players

Every time a former 1st round talent gets cut, we see on our board, "go get TD". Well, the Seattle plan isn't run that way. They have 1 1st rounder on that heralded defense. They have others cast offs and many street free agents.

How do they do it? SCHEME specific and speed and height specific players.

I still believe you build through the draft and TD and company have hit on Critical corner stone players. Matt, Freeman, Julio, Matthews, Trufant, soon to be cornerstones Beasley and Neal. If you have your cornerstone players you are much more likely to be a playoff team. You are also more likely to be a winning org for a long period of time.

It is interesting how Seattle has brought in guys Super Hungry, with huge chips to show they belong, and cut bait on their 1st rounders, use them as trade chips and go get guys who fit what their ideals call for.

The falcons are close. Seattle is closer..

More than UDFAs, I think Seattle's model has been to look at as many players as possible from as many sources as possible. Your 7 allotted draft picks, UDFAs, FA, CFL players, etc. 

So its a different mentality than "here are our 90, what can we do." It's closer to "these are the 90 we feel best about now but let's keep looking for XYZ"

And I like that sort of approach. Be thorough and thoughtful. Problems are solved by doing so. 

I don't agree with this narrative at all. Dan Quinn made those dudes imo. They brought late round picks who fit what that scheme needs. They drafted over 25+ defensive players since 2011. Youre bound to hit on some of those. It's the law of averages. When you have maybe the best corner, Safety duo, and best dline men in the league, you don't need superstars. Who was Bennett before Quinn?

If we took 5 defensive players every draft, we'd have good players too. But we drafted offensive players. And there is no doubt our offense is better than Seattle's offense. Could even be argued our offense is better than their defense ex. 2012.... but 2013 they destroyed us so there's that.

I would be completely happy with a Braves-like run.  I know people like to dis them for only the one World Series title, but I would be quite happy if the Falcons dominated the division for a decade, went to the Super Bowl 4 times in 10 years, and won a Super Bowl title, while having the best overall record in the NFL during that time.  Sure I would have liked a couple of more World Series titles (and I felt they should have won in '91 and '96), but I get a warm and fuzzy feeling every time I think about the Braves and the '90's.  Of course, I realize that may be an opinion that not everybody shares.

Are you regularly assaulted by the jeers of Saints fans? You might need to find new friends.

I'm starting to think the Seahawks won their SB through plucky coaching rather than the amassing of great players. They out-coached John Fox in the Super Bowl, then watched as the Panthers whomped that defense this past playoffs. As far as signing or trading players that Jimmy Graham trade was awful They actually got worse trading their center and getting a TE they didn't know how to implement into their system.

Edited by Jesus

1 hour ago, krammmit said:

I don't agree with this narrative at all. Dan Quinn made those dudes imo. They brought late round picks who fit what that scheme needs. They drafted over 25+ defensive players since 2011. Youre bound to hit on some of those. It's the law of averages. When you have maybe the best corner, Safety duo, and best dline men in the league, you don't need superstars. Who was Bennett before Quinn?

If we took 5 defensive players every draft, we'd have good players too. But we drafted offensive players. And there is no doubt our offense is better than Seattle's offense. Could even be argued our offense is better than their defense ex. 2012.... but 2013 they destroyed us so there's that.

Who was Bennett before Quinn? Lol do your homework. 

1 hour ago, krammmit said:

Bennett was a good player who took a mid-market "prove it" deal which ended up getting him paid. 

He's a better player now than he was then but he was a good player when Seattle brought him in. 

3 hours ago, dirtyhairy said:

Every time a former 1st round talent gets cut, we see on our board, "go get TD". Well, the Seattle plan isn't run that way. They have 1 1st rounder on that heralded defense. They have others cast offs and many street free agents.

How do they do it? SCHEME specific and speed and height specific players.

I still believe you build through the draft and TD and company have hit on Critical corner stone players. Matt, Freeman, Julio, Matthews, Trufant, soon to be cornerstones Beasley and Neal. If you have your cornerstone players you are much more likely to be a playoff team. You are also more likely to be a winning org for a long period of time.

It is interesting how Seattle has brought in guys Super Hungry, with huge chips to show they belong, and cut bait on their 1st rounders, use them as trade chips and go get guys who fit what their ideals call for.

The falcons are close. Seattle is closer..

Shelby.  

2 hours ago, conalthomas said:

I would be completely happy with a Braves-like run.  I know people like to dis them for only the one World Series title, but I would be quite happy if the Falcons dominated the division for a decade, went to the Super Bowl 4 times in 10 years, and won a Super Bowl title, while having the best overall record in the NFL during that time.  Sure I would have liked a couple of more World Series titles (and I felt they should have won in '91 and '96), but I get a warm and fuzzy feeling every time I think about the Braves and the '90's.  Of course, I realize that may be an opinion that not everybody shares.

Yep I'd be pretty happy with that aswell.

Its like if you keep knocking on the door eventually it'll open for you.

Like you mentioned though yougot to be in the position to actually knock on that door to get the desired result for me atthe moment we are at the front gate got a bit of a path talk up before getting to the door.

Another thread, claiming we are the new Seattle of the South. Pete Carroll and John Schneider built Seattle, Gus Bradley was the defensive coordinator during the key building years. If Richard Smith gets a head coaching job next year will he be credited for building Atlanta team. 

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

Yep I'd be pretty happy with that aswell.

Its like if you keep knocking on the door eventually it'll open for you.

Like you mentioned though yougot to be in the position to actually knock on that door to get the desired result for me atthe moment we are at the front gate got a bit of a path talk up before getting to the door.

You might be less unhappy, more so than happy. People always want more than they have regardless of how relatively successful they may seem to have been for a period. I guarantee you will find people complaining about the current state of the Patriots and Seahawks on their boards. Human nature is to always ask "what have you find for me lately."

2 hours ago, insight said:

Another thread, claiming we are the new Seattle of the South. Pete Carroll and John Schneider built Seattle, Gus Bradley was the defensive coordinator during the key building years. If Richard Smith gets a head coaching job next year will he be credited for building Atlanta team. 

Yep. Seattle defense just keeps rolling on. Without Bradley and Quinn. Carroll is the defensive genius.

I think this is actually 100% wrong. 

If i recall correctly, the Seahawks are known for making the most transactions of any team in the NFL since Petey Carrol has been there. So they are doing exactly what you in the OP are saying they are not doing by bringing in people. 

Also, they aren't winning with UDFA's. Arguably the most important person on their defense is Michael Bennet and he was a free agent who had put together a few solid seasons in Tampa. And then bringing in Cliff Avril who like Bennet, had put in some really good years in Detroit. So its not like they drafted a bunch of UDFA's who are all pro's. 

I do think that Schneider is one of the best GM's in the entire NFL, but lets not get carried away. 

4 hours ago, insight said:

Another post from insight claming some garbage that wasn't said.