Wrestling with MMA fighter helped Falcons' Paul Worrilow tackle issues

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Good lord MMA to improve tackling technique.

Whats wrong with going to another tackling sport that preaches the technique he's after F**K me when are we going to learn.

While there is certainly nothing wrong with going with another sport that improves tackling, an MMA double leg takedown does teach a fair amount of fundamentals that translate to tackling in general.

Edited by Sidecar Falcon
1 hour ago, JeffAtl said:

MMA seems like the wrong sport to train.  A MMA take down, even a double leg, is MMA far different than a football tackle.

Rugby would be a much better fit - especially since Dan Quinn is a huge proponent of rugby tackling.

Yeah, that has me puzzled as well. I watch a lot of MMA and I honestly don't see how any take-down techniques are going to translate over. Certainly not as effective as learning how to rugby tackle, which would translate directly to making an NFL tackle. I give the guy credit for trying, but he should've put more thought into it before he wasted time on something which is quite probably going to be totally useless.

38 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

While there is certainly nothing wrong with going with another sport that improves tackling, an MMA double leg takedown does teach a fair amount of fundamentals that translate to tackling in general.

Sorry Sidecar but I've been saying this for years if you want to learn how to do it correctly go to the well not to the wall.I can see some benefits of doing MMA but I just feel if someone in the Falcons organisation stopped Fing around and come down our ways and we'd come up with better results on the tackling front. 

I could reel off half dozen people right now that could jump on a plane and come fix this problem ASAP.

16 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Sorry Sidecar but I've been saying this for years if you want to learn how to do it correctly go to the well not to the wall.I can see some benefits of doing MMA but I just feel if someone in the Falcons organisation stopped Fing around and come down our ways and we'd come up with better results on the tackling front. 

I could reel off half dozen people right now that could jump on a plane and come fix this problem ASAP.

I disagree that 'MMA techniques=Wall' comparison, as it does translate to functional training . I do agree that hiring tackling coaches, that can actually teach, would be the preferable solution.

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

Yeah, that has me puzzled as well. I watch a lot of MMA and I honestly don't see how any take-down techniques are going to translate over. Certainly not as effective as learning how to rugby tackle, which would translate directly to making an NFL tackle. I give the guy credit for trying, but he should've put more thought into it before he wasted time on something which is quite probably going to be totally useless.

This is one of the techniques that would translate. Part of the process with any takedown is the emphasis on 'driving and finishing' because if either of these doesn't take place, you don't get the takedown. I do agree there are more direct ways to learn how to tackle, but the MMA training isn't completely without merit.

Edited by Sidecar Falcon
13 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Nover? Nice.

I trained/worked with Stallings for 8 years. Real nice guy, super glad he got his shot in the UFC.

Back when I trained with him he was a blue belt at KnuckleUp in Sandy Springs. We share the same circle of friends from those days. Prof. Fabio Costa was the instructor then. 

4 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

MMA seems like the wrong sport to train.  A MMA takedown, even a double leg, is far different than a football tackle.

Rugby would be a much better fit - especially since Dan Quinn is a huge proponent of rugby tackling.

Yes I would agree. But he trained at the gym for wrestling. 

1 hour ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Nice. Gracie lineage, correct?

Correct -- Gracie Barra.  After I left that gym and started training closer to home we were affiliated with Alliance, which is Jacare's gym.  Chris Moriarty used to come train with us at that location.  I thought Phillipe was associated with them at one time but I could be wrong.  I know he joined up with the SBG guys a while back.  I miss the training, but I just didn't have time to really dedicate myself to it, and if you aren't dedicated, basically you're just going to get your *** kicked on occasion  :lol:

19 hours ago, Ewok said:

I don't see where the Worrilow hate comes from.
He has outperformed every expectation, has become the center of our defense, and has taken roles and tasks that are obviously going to make him stand out more.
The entire defense has been atrocious at tackling, how can you fault a guy so much for constantly getting to the ball carrier and having no help around him.
Yes, he should be able to do everything himself, but it would also be nice if he had some help... ever.. 

It's because he wasn't drafted in a premium position....oh wait, he wasn't drafted at all, yet has somehow become the Falcon's leading tackler three years running. Sure, he's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but he comes in, does the job he is told to do, and given the circumstances, does it reasonably well. He cost us next to nothing (relatively speaking, of course) and has already payed for himself with the amount of production on the field. I guess because he's not a "shiny", the football snobs will continue to rag on him. 

On 5/11/2016 at 10:33 AM, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Now we just need him to work with Usain Bolt to work on his Speed issue and he will be Great! 

Speeds not his issue - he's actually fast for a LB - he just takes bad angles and doesn't analyze plays quickly enough to get to where he needs to be in time.

Football smarts/instincts are his issue.

20 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

This is one of the techniques that would translate. Part of the process with any takedown is the emphasis on 'driving and finishing' because if either of these doesn't take place, you don't get the takedown. I do agree there are more direct ways to learn how to tackle, but the MMA training isn't completely without merit.

Good post and good points.

My main issue is that the takedown defenses that he will experience in MMA and wrestling training is very different than what he will see in football.  In combat sports, the attacker is trained to defend strikes & chokes and how to defeat a sprawl - not how to take proper pursuit angles on an opponent moving at full speed that only has to concern himself with evasion.

We're definitely on the same page though.  I'm a big fan of cross-training and  totally respect his dedication.