Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beef

2016 Offseason Thread

59 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Rumors are if Durant leaves OKC he prefers to play with the Warriors. Also rumors are LeBron enrolled his kids in a private school in LA County. He already has a home in Orange county. People around the nba thinks if he leaves Cleveland the Lakers will be a possibility. As a Lakers fan I'm ehh. He is a great player but a horrible gm. Just wondering who he would want to run with him

And it looks like Hawks fans get another crappy offseason. Hawks fans can't catch a break.

On 6/14/2016 at 6:52 PM, Zone#7 said:

What's sad about this is to me I'd rather do this than the Noel and Teague swap lol. 

It would open up some options, such as perhaps securing the services of one Kevin Love if Cleveland is still interested in trading him, and if that falls through, it would open up another world of possibilities as far as securing high profile free agents.

Word is the Sixers stopped follow Noel and they might have a deal on the table with the Celtics. Melo being traded to Cleveland is also a rumor. They would have to involve a 3rd team cause Phil isn't giving up Melo for Love and some picks.

Hawks Will Look To Move Jeff Teague During The Draft

by Colby Giacubeno3 hours agoFollow @ColbyG33

Soaring Down South  

The Atlanta Hawks have been trying to trade Jeff Teague since mid-season, but Thursday night may be the perfect opportunity.

It’s no secret that the Atlanta Hawks have been interested in moving point guard Jeff Teague in hopes to acquire a starter whether that be at small forward or center. Dennis Schroder is likely to be handed the offense next season as the starting point guard, and with potentially losing Al Horford and Kent Bazemore in free agency, the Hawks need to do all they can to help bolster their starting five.

There were rumors that the Hawks were in talks with teams like the Utah Jazz and New York Knicks about a potential trade prior to the 2015-16 trade deadline, but it turned out to be Atlanta just testing the waters to evaluate what they could get for Teague.

Earlier this month, there were reports that the Hawks and Sixers were discussing a trade that involved Teague being sent to Philadelphia in exchange for Nerlens Noel, but as of now, those talks have died down.

The NBA Draft is approaching quickly and the Hawks have some options to help move the seven-year floor general out of Wake Forest. Packaging Teague with either their first-round pick or their two second-round picks may be enough for teams to listen. After all, it isn’t like Teague would be a liability. He averaged a respectable 15.9 points, 5.9 assists, and 2.7 rebounds per game this season. Plus, he will enter the last year of his deal and is set to earn $8 million next season.

GM Wes Wilcox recently spoke on the benefit of having multiple draft picks this season:

“It’s always important to have multiple picks because it gives you the opportunity to explore trades that may take you higher in the draft,” Hawks general manager Wes Wilcox said. “So, yes, it certainly provides some flexibility that we will explore on draft night.”

With the salary cap rising to an estimated $94 million, Teague will be considered a bargain especially for his ability and experience.

Teague’s relationship with the Hawks has turned sour over the past year. Once there was indication that the team would begin developing Schroder and eventually want him to become the starter, Teague started acting out on social media.

During the time of Schroder beginning to see more of the minutes in crunch time and Teague’s name was being thrown into possible trades, he deleted all the pictures of him in a Hawks uniform off his Instagram page.

Last week, he posted on social media about his unhappiness with the Hawks and that he had played with a partially torn patella tendon throughout a portion of last season. This post was also deleted.

It’s evident that the relationship between Teague and the Hawks has been damaged and likely never to return to form. With that being said, the question isn’t whether or not he will be traded, it’s become when will be be traded. The best opportunity to do so may be Thursday night during the draft, and that’s what the Hawks will look to do.

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

Word is the Sixers stopped follow Noel and they might have a deal on the table with the Celtics. Melo being traded to Cleveland is also a rumor. They would have to involve a 3rd team cause Phil isn't giving up Melo for Love and some picks.

Gimme Teague to Knicks. Melo to Cleveland and Love to Atlanta. 

Move millsap for a good wing. 

11 hours ago, WORilla said:

Gimme Teague to Knicks. Melo to Cleveland and Love to Atlanta. 

Move millsap for a good wing. 

This. I've heard a rumor that PG13 wants out of Indy. I know it's a long shot, but it's something worth exploring.

2 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

This. I've heard a rumor that PG13 wants out of Indy. I know it's a long shot, but it's something worth exploring.

Lakers need to be smart here. 

Trade their pick plus some. 

Pair george with derozan. 

Potential back court of russel(barring he's not totally ruined out there), derozan, and George? 

Thats dangerous. 

The Hawks’ best draft move would involve trading Teague

By Mark BradleyJune 22, 2016| Filed in: ajc-sports.ajc, Atlanta Hawks / NBA

myajc.com  

The Atlanta Hawks hold the 21st pick in this NBA draft. It’s possible to find a real player there. Over the past 10 years, I count two very good players taken at No. 21 and two not-bads. The list:

2006: Rajon Rondo, Kentucky
2007: Daequan Cook, Ohio State
2008: Ryan Anderson, Cal
2009: Darren Collison, UCLA
2010: Craig Brackins, Iowa State
2011: Nolan Smith, Duke
2012: Jared Sullinger, Ohio State
2013: Gorgui Dieng, Louisville
2014: Mitch McGary, Michigan
2015: Justin Anderson, Virginia

The good ones are Rondo and R. Anderson. The not-bads are Sullinger and Dieng. (Cook was OK for a bit.) It should be noted that Rondo slipped to No. 21 because it was believed he’d clashed with Kentucky coach Tubby Smith and that Sullinger was available because of back issues. For a real talent to be available that late, there has to be a reason.

We also note that the 21st player taken in 2003 went to the Hawks. Three years later, he would be named the NBA’s most improved player. Alas, he was no longer playing for the Hawks. He’d been shipped to Phoenix in the Joe Johnson sign-and-trade. His name: Boris Diaw.

The point being: You can hope to find a contributing player at No. 21, but you might not. A year ago, these Hawks held the No. 15 pick and valued it so highly they traded it to New York for Tim Hardaway Jr., who hadn’t been starting for the 17-65 Knickerbockers. (He wouldn’t start for the Hawks, either.)

The Hawks enter this draft knowing they need to change – they just slipped from 60 wins to 46 – but can substantive change come via Pick No. 21? They’re not apt to find a difference-maker there, and it’s unlikely they could parlay that pick and Jeff Teague into a top five selection. (Into Buddy Hield or Jamal Murray, say.) Which isn’t to say they won’t trade Teague on Thursday. I’m guessing it’s 65-35 they will.

It’s time to see if Dennis Schroder can run this team, and Teague’s value will only diminish from here. (He’ll become a free agent next summer.) It has long been rumored that Philadelphia wants to trade one of its many young big men for Teague: Nerlens Noel was the first name floated, but later reports hold that Jahlil Okafor is more likely to go.

The two are very different. Noel can defend but isn’t much of a scorer or passer; Okafor can score but isn’t much of a defender. Noel’s skills wouldn’t fit Mike Budenholzer’s pace-and-space offense. Okafor is a low-post presence, which is never a bad thing, but his addition could force the Hawks to move parts they’d rather not move. Al Horford’s efficiency diminished slightly last season because – by his own admission – he played too much on the perimeter, and nobody sees Paul Millsap as a wing.

With Kyle Korver in decline and Teague on the way out, the best thing about the Hawks is the 4-5 tandem of Millsap and Horford. If they try to make that a 3-4 pairing, it won’t work half as well. Having Noel/Okafor would add to their talent base – and they need to add to that talent base – without necessarily making them a better team. (It’s also worth noting that Millsap and Horford will be on the high side of 30 when training camp commences.)

The Hawks have to re-sign Horford next month for any of this to be applicable. I believe they will. But keeping Horford wouldn’t add a major talent; it would only keep the Hawks from losing one. The best chance of finding such a player this offseason is by trading Teague, either by moving into the draft’s top 10 (possible but not probable) or by hooking a big-time veteran in return (a greater possibility).

It would be a surprise if the Hawks don’t make noise Thursday night: By trading Teague, by trading up, by trading down, by doing something. They’re not coming off 60 wins and the East’s No. 1 seed this time around. They can’t make do with tweaks anymore. They have to start changing their core. Shedding Teague and promoting Schroder would be the first step. Getting a talented player or two in exchange for Teague would be the best step.

I'm actually a fan of pick 21. I just hope the Hawks don't try to do too much. The very good college players who don't have much room to grow always go in the 20s. Those players can be solid starters or very good rotation pieces. Since they're usually older, they can come in and play faster than most rookies. 

If we look for that, we can find a very good player. Just don't get a foreign guy or a huge project. THATS where you get the busts in the 20s. 

11 hours ago, WORilla said:

I'm actually a fan of pick 21. I just hope the Hawks don't try to do too much. The very good college players who don't have much room to grow always go in the 20s. Those players can be solid starters or very good rotation pieces. Since they're usually older, they can come in and play faster than most rookies. 

If we look for that, we can find a very good player. Just don't get a foreign guy or a huge project. THATS where you get the busts in the 20s. 

The Hawks, and "Bud" aren't waiting on an 18-19 year old to grow-up...Shroeder was the closest they've some to drafting someone like that.

Back to Hawks: Sources say they'll now try to trade their two first-rounders (one from the Teague deal) to make re-signing Al Horford easier

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Only in Atlanta...."

If The Hawks aren't going to get another dominant play for Milsap...Trade Milsap!!!

32 minutes ago, Rise said:

Back to Hawks: Sources say they'll now try to trade their two first-rounders (one from the Teague deal) to make re-signing Al Horford easier

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Only in Atlanta...."

If The Hawks aren't going to get another dominant play for Milsap...Trade Milsap!!!

To be fair, now that the dust has settled no one else has said this in this way. 

and to be honest the media is wrong 99% of the time when it comes to the hawks. They've never known what we're gonna do. They just make ish up. 

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/kevin-durant-choosing-between-six-teams/310075

Kevin Durant reportedly choosing between six teams

June 25, 2016

kevin-durant-draymond-green

The Kevin Durant free agency sweepstakes are set to begin in less than a week, and Durant has reportedly narrowed his decision down to six teams.

According to Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical, Durant’s representatives at Roc Nation are working to finalize meetings with the Oklahoma City Thunder, Golden State Warriors, San Antonio Spurs, Miami Heat, Los Angeles Clippers and Boston Celtics. Wojnarowski reports that the Thunder are still the favorites but that the Warriors “have Durant’s attention.”

The two surprises on the list are the Clippers and Celtics. The Clippers don’t have enough salary cap space to sign Durant, so they would likely need to move one of their core pieces. Interestingly enough, a previous report indicated that L.A. would not hesitate to swap Blake Griffin for Durant.

Perhaps the biggest advantage the Celtics have is that they have enough cap space to sign two max free agents. There have been rumblings that Durant wants to play with fellow free agent Al Horford, and Boston could sign both K.D. and Horford without shuffling much around. Durant has supposedly given the Celtics a list of players he wants to play with, and there’s a good chance Horford is on that list.

If you read what Durant said earlier this month about his decision, you know he is not interested in playing in a market like L.A. just to make more money in endorsements. Since the Thunder were so close to reaching the NBA Finals this season, a two-year deal with an opt-out after the first still makes sense if Durant wants to give his current team one more shot.

Okay Hawks, make sure to resign Horford. Let's not give the Celtics anything to work with.

Despite drafting two wings, Bazemore remains priority for Hawks

10:37 a.m. Friday, June 24, 2016 | Filed in: Hawks

Chris Vivlamore AJC

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/despite-drafting-two-wings-bazemore-remains-priori/nrmfZ/

Kent Bazemore remains an offseason “priority” to the Hawks despite the fact the team selected two wing players in the first round of Thursday’s NBA Draft.

Bazemore, the starting small forward last season, will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 after the completion of two-year deal he signed. Hawks officials have said they would like to re-sign Bazemore, who will be do a significant pay raise after his first season as a starter.

“I will say Kent Bazemore is absolutely a Hawks priority,” Hawks general manager Wes Wilcox said following the completion of the draft. “We love Kent. He is a huge part of what we do. I don’t think there should be any confusion as to how important Kent is to us.”

Despite drafting two wings, Bazemore remains priority for Hawks photo
Curtis Compton
Hawks’ Kent Bazemore practices shooting 3-pointers before playing the Cavaliers in Game 3 of a second-round NBA basketball playoff series at Philips Arena on Friday, May 6, 2016, in Atlanta. Curtis Compton / ccompton@ajc.com

The Hawks acquired the draft rights to Baylor’s Taurean Prince with the No. 12 overall pick and selected St. Jospeh’s DeAndre Bembry with the No. 21 overall pick. Wilcox said the selections should not be considered an indicator that the team is preparing to move on from Bazemore. He stated the Hawks simple kept true to their philosophy to select the best player available.

Dwight Howard talks about signing with hometown Hawks

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16820280/dwight-howard-wants-bring-title-home-atlanta-hawks

• ESPN.com news services

Dwight Howard said he's not happy about last season with the Houston Rockets, and he's determined to hoist a trophy for his hometown Atlanta Hawks.

"I want to do whatever I can to bring a championship home," Howard said Tuesday, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I know it's not going to be easy. I've worked extremely hard this summer, every summer. I'm very motivated. I'm really [ticked] off about last season. I'm looking forward to coming back with a different mentality."

Howard has agreed to a three-year, $70.5 million deal with the Hawks, his agent, Perry Rogers, told ESPN's Chris Broussard on Friday.

Howard, 30, returns to his hometown after three seasons in Houston, where he battled injuries and wasn't the force he was earlier in his career. He managed just 13.7 points and 8.5 field goal attempts per game last season, his lowest numbers since his rookie season with Orlando in 2004-05. He had an opportunity to remain with Houston but declined a player option that would have paid him $23.2 million.

Attending a Dream game at Philips Arena, Howard was asked why he was angry about last season.

"Losing," he said, according to the newspaper. "A lot of people see me with smiles and all that stuff and think I don't care, but I hate losing. I hate seeing other people stand up on the podium and hold up that trophy and I worked so hard for it. That's the main thing."

Despite having MVP candidate James Harden, the Rockets stumbled to a 41-41 record last season. That was good enough to make the playoffs, but only as the No. 8 seed, which resulted in a first-round matchup with the Golden State Warriors. Houston lost in five games.

The Hawks were fourth in the Eastern Conference last season at 48-34. They beat the Boston Celtics in the first round but were swept by the eventual champion Cleveland Cavaliers.

Atlanta is now making some significant roster changes. Free-agent big man Al Horford signed with the Boston Celtics. Point guard Jeff Teague was traded to the Indiana Pacers for the 12th pick in the draft, which was used to select Baylor wing Taurean Prince. Small forward Kent Bazemore agreed to a new four-year, $70 million deal with the Hawks. And Howard returned home.

Even if his offense isn't there, Howard can at times be a dominant rebounder and shot-blocker, although not quite at the level that won him three straight defensive player of the year awards from 2009 to 2011.

ESPN's Brian Windhorst, Calvin Watkins and Ramona Shelburne and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Wednesday's Hawks Links: Howard wants to bring a championship to Atlanta

4:10 AM ET
  • ESPN.com

In meeting with Hawks, Howard showed willingness to be coached:Dwight Howard was described as humble and showed a willingness to change and be coached in his free agency meeting with the Hawks last week. Time will tell. The Hawks agreed to a three-year, $70.5 million contract with the eight-time All-Star center. The move, coupled with the re-signing of their own free-agent Kent Bazemore, was part of the reason the team parted ways with Al Horford. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Korver: It wasn’t easy for Horford to leave Atlanta: It wasn’t easy for Al Horford to leave Atlanta. This according to Kyle Korver, his Hawks teammate and one of several sounding boards Horford called on throughout the process of free agency. The two had several phone conversations before Horford agreed to a contract with the Celtics last weekend. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Howard: I want to bring a championship home: Dwight Howard is dreaming big. The eight-time All-Star center wants a title for his hometown. Howard agreed to a three-year, $70.5 million deal with the Hawks of Friday. He cannot sign a contract until after the NBA moratorium ends on Thursday. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution atlanta hawks

I know he's not LeBron James, but Howard does have NBA Finals experience. Having that experience I think will go a long way in bringing up the younger guys. If he's as motivated as he says he is, well, this team could turn heads again as it did two years ago.

Thursday's Hawks Links: More work needed to improve the roster

7:17 AM ET
  • ESPN.com

Horford thanks Hawks fans with full-page ad: Al Horford took out a full-page ad in Thursday’s edition of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution to thank the city and Hawks fans for his nine seasons with the team. Horford agreed to a four-year, $113 million deal with the Celtics as an unrestricted free agent, ending nearly a decade as a cornerstone of the Hawks organization after he was selected with the No. 3 overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

In a way, Hawks had eye on Delaney since high school: In a sense, you could say the Hawks have been scouting Malcolm Delaney since he was in high school. For it was back in March 2007 when Jeff Peterson, the Hawks’ current assistant general manager, made a last-second shot to lead his DeMatha High team to a victory over Delaney, the guard who just agreed to a contract with Atlanta, and his Towson Catholic team. DeMatha’s 58-56 win over Towson Catholic in the Alhambra Catholic Invitational Tournament in Maryland was the last high school game for both players. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Hawks looking to improve roster at front line and guard: There is still work to do on the Hawks roster. The time it takes to assemble the final group that goes to training camp in September remains to be seen. The Hawks are being very active in trying to improve the team, according to a person familiar with the situation. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Friday's Hawks Links: Draft picks to get plenty of work in summer league

10:40 AM ET
  • ESPN.com

Draft picks to get plenty of work in summer league: The Atlanta Hawkswill feature a roster of 15 players for their entry in the Las Vegas Summer League. The roster includes two rookies from last season in guard Lamar Patterson and center Edy Tavares and all three of this year’s draft picks in forward Taurean Prince (Baylor), forward DeAndre’ Bembry (St. Joseph’s) and guard Isaia Cordinier (France). It also includes forward Matt Costello (Michigan State), who agreed to a contract and will go to training camp in September. --The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Hawks announce pending moves including long-awaited arrival of Prince: Kent Bazemore returned. Taurean Prince finally arrived. Jeff Teagueleft. The Hawks made several pending roster moves official after the end of the NBA moratorium on Thursday. There are still at least two more to go with the signings of Dwight Howard to a three-year, $70.5 million deal and Malcolm Delaney to a two-year, $1.4 million deal. Those announcements could come in the coming days. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Hawks summer league roster stands at 15 players: The Hawks will feature a roster of 15 players for their entry in the Las Vegas Summer League. The roster includes two rookies from last season in guard Lamar Patterson and center Edy Tavares and all three of this year’s draft picks in forward Taurean Prince (Baylor), forward DeAndre’ Bembry (St. Joseph’s) and guard Isaia Cordinier (France). It also includes forward Matt Costello (Michigan St.), who agreed to a contract and will go to training camp in September. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Tavares has come a long way in just one year

By Chris Vivlamore - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Posted: 2:23 p.m. Sunday, July 10, 2016

LAS VEGAS — When told his ability to speak English has gotten much better, Edy Tavares reacted with a big smile and fist pump.

A greater grasp of a new language is not the only area of improvement over the past year for the young Hawks player from Cape Verde. The 7-foot-3 center has made strides as a basketball player as well.

It was just a year ago that the Hawks drafted Tavares in the second round, at No. 43 overall, out of Spain’s ACB League last year. Although he had only been playing basketball since the age of 16, Tavares was worth a chance.

Tavares appeared in 11 games last season for the Hawks, averaging 2.3 points and 1.9 rebounds in 6.6 minutes. He spent most of the season making trips back and forth to the NBA Development League for spot games. He played for Austin, Canton and Bakersfield in different assignments. Tavares went to Austin in late February and remained there until the Spurs’ playoff run ended in April. The chance to play was invaluable.

“At first it was difficult but when you think about it it’s good because you play,” said Tavares, no longer needing a translator for a long interview. “Every basketball player likes to play the game. When I go back, I was happy because I played minutes, I met new people and I learned different things. For me it’s good because I like to play basketball. I got better and Austin is a nice city too.”

+Tavares has come a long way in just one year photo
Hawks center Edy Tavares poses for a portrait during the team’s annual media day at the Philips Arena on Monday, Sept. ... Read More

During his D-League stints, Tavares played 29 games and averaged 9.2 points, 8.3 rebounds and 3.3 blocks.

Tavares is back with the Hawks for another Las Vegas Summer League. He had seven points, eight rebounds and one block in 23 minutes in the Hawks tournament opening win over the Rockets Friday. He finished with 10 points, five rebounds and four blocks in a win over the Wizards Sunday. The Hawks’ goal is to see Tavares improve in the pick-and-roll game, both offensively and defensively. They will try to put him in more of those situations as the summer league progresses.

“Definitely progressed,” Hawks assistant and summer league coach Taylor Jenkins said. “He definitely has come a long way in just one year. Getting our hands on him at the beginning of last year and working on his body and getting him up to speed on what the NBA game is all about. I think his running habits have gotten a lot better, his activity on defense for a guy his size and what he is able to do in pick-and-roll, move his feet better, using his hands, changing shots at the rim. There is obviously stuff that he can clean up but definitely encouraged.”

For his part, Tavares said he is still adjusting to the speed of the NBA game, both offense and defense three-second calls and how to avoid fouls he said are called differently in Europe. The message from Hawks coaches in for Tavares to play at 100 percent whenever he is on the floor, even if it is for five minutes.

“I’ve got to get more confidence on offense,” Tavares said. “When I get the ball be more patient, make good decisions, select the good shots and be more aggressive and intimidate more on defense.”

The Hawks fan base remains eager to see Tavares. His potential for rebounds and rim protection at his size is intriguing. Tavares hears them.

“I hear my name when I was at Philips Arena from the fans that want me to come in,” Tavares said. “For me, it’s good. The people like me and want me to play. That motivates me to practice hard and get more confidence to coach (Mike Budenholzer) to put me in the game. I wait for my time.”

Monday's Hawks Links: Dennis Schroder knows it's a challenge being the starting PG

4:15 AM ET
  • ESPN.com

Tavares has come a long way in just one year: When told that his ability to speak English has gotten much better, Edy Tavares reacted with a big smile and fist pump. A greater grasp of a new language is not the only area of improvement over the past year for the young Hawks player from Cape Verde. The 7-foot-3 center has made strides as a basketball player as well. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Hawks agree to deal with Jack: he Hawks have agreed to a one-year, veteran-minimum contract with Jarrett Jack, according to a person familiar with the situation. Jack, who played at Georgia Tech, most recently was with the Nets before a torn ACL ended his campaign in January of last season. The Nets waived the 6-foot-3 point guard and his $6.3 million contract last month making him an unrestricted free agent. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Schroder: ‘It’s hard to believe that I’m the starting point guard’:Dennis Schroder still finds it hard to believe. He is a starting point guard in the NBA. The Hawks committed to Schroder to run the offense when they tradedJeff Teague as part of three-team deal before the NBA Draft last month. “It’s a big challenge,” Schroder told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Hawks promote Ham to lead assistant coach: Darvin Ham has a new job – lead assistant. The Hawks recently promoted Ham to the position vacated when Kenny Atkinson left to become head coach of the Nets earlier this year, according to several people familiar with the situation. Ham had drawn interest from several NBA teams — including the Magic and Lakers — but the Hawks would not allow him to leave. -- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Did ESPN....did espn really.....just post that? 

An article of nothing but little "meaningless" snipets THEY DIDNT EVEN WRITE. 

Oy. Someone please save journalism in this country.