Keanu Neal comparison

i have been an NFL fan and falcons fan for years, even been on these message boards for well over a decade I just don't post much. With that said after watching tape on both guys Keanu reminds me a lot of Taylor mays. Taylor was a hair bigger and a little faster, but just the playing style. Closes fast and hits hard. Admittedly I wanted mays coming out of usc. 

It's not a terrible comparison. People will look at the career Mays has had and say Neal is the superior prospect, but Mays was miscast as a traditional safety and if he ended up in the situation Neal is now in he might have had a very good career. 

Taylor Mays was the original Kam Chancellor in Pete Carroll's USC defense. 

I get that, I am just saying if that is the ceiling of Neal's career we are in trouble using a 17 to get him.

Your post makes me wonder why Carroll never went and got him when he came to SEA? He was still relatively young then wasn't he? He was in SF and OAK, not sure if he was on any other clubs. I do remember people wanting to use a first on him back in the day.

7 minutes ago, ☼UnrealFalcon☼ said:

we need more redundant mock drafts!!

i quit doing mock drafts about two weeks before the actual draft - even I got sick of doing them - lol.   I did enjoy Draftnut's draft game the "Pick 20" game where you try and guess as many Falcons picks as you can - I got the first 4 (Neal, Jones, Hooper and Campbell) and many others got 4 as well - one guy got 5 (Xyfiel) as he also got Devin Fuller - incredible - that was a fun game we play over in "NFL Draft and Free Agency Forum" - you should play next year.

Back to the topic - now, every day we have a player comparison.   People think if you can compare a draft pick to some pro-bowl player that just the act of saying it out loud makes our rookie player that good - silly.    I too would love it if Keanu Neal was as good as Kam Chancellor - but the odds are against him being that good - while certainly he might be - who knows?

Why not just be hopeful for our newest Falcons and let's watch them and hope for the best.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

i quit doing mock drafts about two weeks before the actual draft - even I got sick of doing them - lol.

now, every day we have a player comparison.   People think if you can compare a draft pick to some pro-bowl player that just the act of saying it out loud makes our rookie player that good - silly.    I too would love it if Keanu Neal was as good as Kam Chancellor - but the odds are against him being that good - while certainly he might be - who knows?

Why not just be hopeful for our newest Falcons and let's watch them and hope for the best.

haha just yanking your chain.
I agree with you in a way though, comparisons don't make sense 85% of the time and the other 15% depends heavily on coaching. player development, player's motivation, drive, and many things that we can't calculate or fathom. It just places too high of an expectation on rookies.

But then again there's nothing much to talk about now.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

i quit doing mock drafts about two weeks before the actual draft - even I got sick of doing them - lol.

now, every day we have a player comparison.   People think if you can compare a draft pick to some pro-bowl player that just the act of saying it out loud makes our rookie player that good - silly.    I too would love it if Keanu Neal was as good as Kam Chancellor - but the odds are against him being that good - while certainly he might be - who knows?

Actually this was just the opposite. Mays was a guaranteed blue chip prospect who has had a pedestrian pro career. I am over all the rookies being compared to hall of famers. I actually don't like the Neal pick myself, and no I'm not trolling, I've been a die hard Fan for a long time and will support whoever is drafted. I personally believe, as an armchair gm, there were better options at 17. 

5 minutes ago, falcon1fan said:

Actually this was just the opposite. Mays was a guaranteed blue chip prospect who has had a pedestrian pro career. I am over all the rookies being compared to hall of famers. I actually don't like the Neal pick myself, and no I'm not trolling, I've been a die hard Fan for a long time and will support whoever is drafted. I personally believe, as an armchair gm, there were better options at 17. 

time will tell and you may be right - of course this is the case every year.  If we played a game where I took Keanu Neal and you took the next 230 players drafted thereafter - the chances are tremendously weighted in your favor that somebody drafted after Keanu Neal will be a better player - but who?  probably not who you or I would guess.

I wanted Shaq Lawson but F-him, he is a Bill now and Keanu is a Falcon so I will root for Keanu Neal to be a great player - I strongly believe Keanu will be a good player - great?   will have to wait and see.

8 minutes ago, ☼UnrealFalcon☼ said:

haha just yanking your chain.
I agree with you in a way though, comparisons don't make sense 85% of the time and the other 15% depends heavily on coaching. player development, player's motivation, drive, and many things that we can't calculate or fathom. It just places too high of an expectation on rookies.

But then again there's nothing much to talk about now.

yeah, we are 2 1/2 months from training camp.....draft over, free agency over....unfortunately for us, probably a lot of player comparisons over the next 10 weeks.   Training camp hurry up and get here!!!

1 hour ago, falcon1fan said:

i have been an NFL fan and falcons fan for years, even been on these message boards for well over a decade I just don't post much. With that said after watching tape on both guys Keanu reminds me a lot of Taylor mays. Taylor was a hair bigger and a little faster, but just the playing style. Closes fast and hits hard. Admittedly I wanted mays coming out of usc. 

Mays? He was good in college....not so much as a pro....he had good speed but poor quickness and movement

2 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Mays went in round 2. Not where cant miss blue chippers usually fall.

No but it happens for various reasons . I remember hearing about how he was a once in a lifetime safety leading up to the draft. Like I said I actually followed closely because I wanted him.

6 minutes ago, falcon1fan said:

I believe Keanu will be good also. Personally I wanted Noah spence. More pure talent than bosa and has passed every drug test he's been given since leaving Ohio state. 

Yeah, I am intrigued by Spence.  I know Kayoh doesn't like him because of his "bendiness" or whatever - not Gumby enough for Kayoh - I was personally bullish on Spence's talent - dominated at Ohio State and Eastern Kentucky (and Senior Bowl)- I liked that Spence had been drug tested so much and shared the results with all 32 teams where he had been clean for pro-tracted period - generally the total losers that will never change won't make it that long w/o a relapse.

However, I don't dwell too much on no Spence because you generally don't take a chance on a prospect with the off-field issues in first round and Spence was gone 12 picks before Falcons 2nd round pick - had Spence been available at our 2nd round pick and we skipped him, I might have been a little pissy about it.   The only thing that really pizzes me off about the whole Spence thing is that he went to one of our NFC South rivals - Tampa.

5 minutes ago, trubirdfan4life said:

Mays? He was good in college....not so much as a pro....he had good speed but poor quickness and movement

Actually if you read the scouting reports "elite closing speed and agility". Just google Taylor mays combine. The knocks on him were poor angles and over aggressiveness which the experts said could be coached

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah, I am intrigued by Spence.  I know Kayoh doesn't like him because of his "bendiness" or whatever - not Gumby enough for Kayoh - I was personally bullish on Spence's talent - dominated at Ohio State and Eastern Kentucky (and Senior Bowl)- I liked that Spence had been drug tested so much and shared the results with all 32 teams where he had been clean for pro-tracted period - generally the total losers that will never change won't make it that long w/o a relapse.

However, I don't dwell too much on no Spence because you generally don't take a chance on a prospect with the off-field issues in first round and Spence was gone 12 picks before Falcons 2nd round pick - had Spence been available at our 2nd round pick and we skipped him, I might have been a little pissy about it.   The only thing that really pizzes me off about the whole Spence thing is that he went to one of our NFC South rivals - Tampa.

Well said. F**k tampa

Just now, falcon1fan said:

Actually if you read the scouting reports "elite closing speed and agility". Just google Taylor mays combine. The knocks on him were poor angles and over aggressiveness which the experts said could be coached

I saw him in games.....agility was not elite...not even great.

I'm hoping for anything close to a Sean Taylor...B)

The NFL desperately misses Sean Taylor

One of the fiercest safeties the league has ever seen, Taylor would have turned 33 on Friday

Taylor during a Redskins-Buccaneers Wild Card game in Jan. 2006.

Brett-Smiley-headshot-140x178.vresize.10
By Brett Smiley  @brettsmileyApr 1, 2016 at 12:43p ET

On April 24, 2004, the Washington Redskins drafted Sean Taylor out of the University of Miami with the fifth overall pick, and though he had less than four seasons to prove it, Taylor earned a reputation as one of the NFL's hardest-hitting safeties of all time.

April 1 marks what would have been the 33rd birthday for Taylor, who died in Nov. 2007 at age 24 when one of four men who invaded and burglarized his home shot and killed him.

"God made certain people play football, for sure" said former Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs. "And [Taylor] was one of them."

On the first defensive series in the first game the Redskins played after his death, in a home game against the Bills, the team lined up with only 10 men on the field to honor Taylor, sending chills throughout FedExField:

He was a unique personalty who beat to his own drum. Of course, that makeup is part of what led to some of his early legal troubles. But by most accounts, he had gotten his life straightened out before it was taken from him.

Listen to former teammate and draft classmate, tight end Chris Cooley, recall the time that Taylor skipped out on the NFL's Rookie Symposium:

The 6-foot-2, 212-pound Taylor earned the first of his two Pro Bowl honors in 2006 after amassing 111 tackles, six passes, three forced fumbles and an interception. He was the kind of safety whose footsteps would make receivers' ears perk up (watch some of his hardest hits here).

And he only knew one speed: full speed. Case in point, the time he crushed punter Brian Moorman at the 2006 Pro Bowl:

"That definitely has given me an extended fifteen seconds of fame, because I think that every year a rookie comes in and says, 'Hey, you're The Guy!'" Moorman said in 2011. "It's kind of a funny thing for me, and obviously you can still find it on YouTube, so people still see it. I get somebody, probably five or ten people a year that say something to me out in public or whatever. So I think that's gonna stick with me a while.

"That is what it is. It was a good experience and I'm just glad I got up 'cause it was the biggest shot I ever took in my football career."

Taylor delivered a lot of shots like that. His Hurricanes and Redskins teammate, running back Clinton Portis, tried to compete by delivering hits like Taylor's on the offensive side but knew that was a losing battle. Taylor's death hit Portis especially hard.

"After Sean passed, getting in the end zone and lifting up my jersey was probably the most memorable moment of my career," said Portis, who lifted up his jersey after the run to reveal a shirt honoring Taylor.

The safety remains the (burgundy) and gold standard for everyone else to man the position in Washington, including Dashon Goldson who came to the team via trade in April 2015.

"Fans say, 'Make sure you live up to the hype of Sean Taylor,' " Goldson said."For me to be mentioned in his name speaks volumes. But I'm no Sean Taylor."

1 hour ago, 1989Fan said:

I get that, I am just saying if that is the ceiling of Neal's career we are in trouble using a 17 to get him.

Your post makes me wonder why Carroll never went and got him when he came to SEA? He was still relatively young then wasn't he? He was in SF and OAK, not sure if he was on any other clubs. I do remember people wanting to use a first on him back in the day.

Because he drafted Earl Thomas instead but the point was made, several times, during the draft how Carroll didn't touch him.

It seems like they feel Earl Thomas is more important to their defense than Chancellor.

33 minutes ago, falcon1fan said:

No but it happens for various reasons . I remember hearing about how he was a once in a lifetime safety leading up to the draft. Like I said I actually followed closely because I wanted him.

No he wasn't.  He was extremely hyped up as a freshman but in his draft year he wasn't hyped up at all. Most thought he was over drafted based on his athleticism.