Jump to content

Wondering why D. Jones is viewed by Quinn as a MLB?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, RandomFan said:

We have the first person to announce that they didn't read the content, yet still felt informed enough to comment.

Also, not that it is entirely germaine to the discussion, but Jones is 6 feet and 7/8 of an inch tall - and reportedly already 230+. But continue spinning your narrative of how that sounds more like a Will than a Mike, while not realizing how the 4-3 Under is different from a traditional 4-3.

Also check out DQs latest mini camp vid. He basically says the scheme has two ILBs one strongside the other weak - but they are interchangable. Essentially we have two ILB not a MLB & WLB. The main difference is coverage responsiblity on TE/ RB.

Also goes on to say SLB and LEO are closely related as both are LOS players (Vic is a OLB who may play SLB at times).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The radio guys that were at the branch today were saying that Jones looks like he's barely six feet tall and 220 pounds soaking wet. If true that sounds more like a Will than a Mike. 

I agree if that really is the case.  Either way there's not much difference in our base defense.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Neilbrt said:

Also check out DQs latest mini camp vid. He basically says the scheme has two ILBs one strongside the other weak - but they are interchangable. Essentially we have two ILB not a MLB & WLB. The main difference is coverage responsiblity on TE/ RB.

Also goes on to say SLB and LEO are closely related as both are LOS players (Vic is a OLB who may play SLB at times).

I've actually argued for both of those points recently with people that claimed different. Nice to see it come out of Quinn's mouth again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, RandomFan said:

We have the first person to announce that they didn't read the content, yet still felt informed enough to comment.

Also, not that it is entirely germaine to the discussion, but Jones is 6 feet and 7/8 of an inch tall - and reportedly already 230+. But continue spinning your narrative of how that sounds more like a Will than a Mike, while not realizing how the 4-3 Under is different from a traditional 4-3.

Also check out DQs latest mini camp vid. He basically says the scheme has two ILBs one strongside the other weak - but they are interchangable. Essentially we have two ILB not a MLB & WLB. The main difference is coverage responsiblity on TE/ RB.

Also goes on to say SLB and LEO are closely related as both are LOS players (Vic is a OLB who may play SLB at times).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Check out the Interview from 4:30 - questioner mentions DQ applauding 'Ivan' - DQ responds about SAM with excellent first step and pass rush ability. Positive sign for CFA McLennan (sp?) 

Goes on to talk about LBs in general and Campbell's coverage 'length'.

Edited by Neilbrt
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Neilbrt said:

Also check out DQs latest mini camp vid. He basically says the scheme has two ILBs one strongside the other weak - but they are interchangable. Essentially we have two ILB not a MLB & WLB. The main difference is coverage responsiblity on TE/ RB.

Also goes on to say SLB and LEO are closely related as both are LOS players (Vic is a OLB who may play SLB at times).

 

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

I've actually argued for both of those points recently with people that claimed different. Nice to see it come out of Quinn's mouth again.

You can definitely tell who watches the interviews. Quinn clearly refers to both WLB as "inside" and mentions Jones being "inside" more than a couple of times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Truth B Told (TRU) said:

Don't pay this guy any attention. Obviously he doesn't know what's good for the team, considering how he wanted slow poke Ragland. It's seem like all small linebackers to him can't shed or tackle. I didn't see a issue with Vikings MLB, Eric Kendricks last season.

Shoulda drafted Kendricks. So so close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Neilbrt said:

Also check out DQs latest mini camp vid. He basically says the scheme has two ILBs one strongside the other weak - but they are interchangable. Essentially we have two ILB not a MLB & WLB. The main difference is coverage responsiblity on TE/ RB.

Also goes on to say SLB and LEO are closely related as both are LOS players (Vic is a OLB who may play SLB at times).

This. Figured this out from Madden lol. They depict it perfectly when you run the scheme.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tfw all people ever want to talk about is Debo being a bad tackler when "despite" that he led LSU with 100 tackles (1.5x as many as Darron Lee), was defensive MVP, permanent team captain, and a Butkus award finalist

But nah he is clearly a terrible, terrible bust, totally raw, exact same player as Jalen Collins but a LB

smdh

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

Jessie Tuggle was 5'11" and 232 lbs. Are you trying to say he couldn't play MLB in todays NFL ? 

Get out of here with nonsense. You would give anything to have Tuggle in the middle of our defense but Jones who is a little bigger is to small. That's just stupid.

You can't measure heart and we haven't seen Jones take a single snap yet. So give the kid a chance before you make up a ridiculous nickname or call him a bust.

Jesse came out on a lot of nickel and dime packages. With the NFL going to a 63% pass happy approach, he would be reduced to a two down back.

Bobby Wagner is 6'0" 241 lbs. Deion Jones is 6'1" and 222 lbs. Dude should be a Will. He will be forced to play Mike at 222 lbs. I'd venture to say he will be the lightest MLB in the league.

Many of the RBs he'll face on this level will be bigger than him. He's got to fight off 315 lb linemen then tackle 225 lb RBs when shedding and tackling were weaknesses of his against NCAA boys. Good luck with that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Falcan Moore said:

Tfw all people ever want to talk about is Debo being a bad tackler when "despite" that he led LSU with 100 tackles (1.5x as many as Darron Lee), was defensive MVP, permanent team captain, and a Butkus award finalist

But nah he is clearly a terrible, terrible bust, totally raw, exact same player as Jalen Collins but a LB

smdh

 

Also Debo follows the ball extremely well. If you watch his games you will see him extend his arms to keep blockers off of him and follow the ball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Jesse came out on a lot of nickel and dime packages. With the NFL going to a 63% pass happy approach, he would be reduced to a two down back.

Bobby Wagner is 6'0" 241 lbs. Deion Jones is 6'1" and 222 lbs. Dude should be a Will. He will be forced to play Mike at 222 lbs. I'd venture to say he will be the lightest MLB in the league.

Many of the RBs he'll face on this level will be bigger than him. He's got to fight off 315 lb linemen then tackle 225 lb RBs when shedding and tackling were weaknesses of his against NCAA boys. Good luck with that. 

You just keep ignoring information just to push your terrible outlook.

Already been said he is at 230 but you keep saying 222. You were even quoted with a response saying he is 230.

Next, it's already been said in the scheme it is designed to keep OL off but you keep expressing that as an issue that will happen all the time.

Next, your response about Jesse Tuggle doesn't help your case because the concern you bring up about Jesse Tuggle is his pass defense while the concern you bring up about Debo is his run defense. So you admit Jesse was a small LB that was good against the run....Thanks

Lastly, there's a difference between shedding and moving to the ball. If you watch Debo he consistently extends his arms to keep blockers off and keeos his vision and head up to follow the ball to the hole or the outside.

That's the necessary skill for that position above shedding. Shedding skills will be limited because of scheme.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

You just keep ignoring information just to push your terrible outlook.

Already been said he is at 230 but you keep saying 222. You were even quoted with a response saying he is 230.

Next, it's already been said in the scheme it is designed to keep OL off but you keep expressing that as an issue that will happen all the time.

Next, your response about Jesse Tuggle doesn't help your case because the concern you bring up about Jesse Tuggle is his pass defense while the concern you bring up about Debo is his run defense. So you admit Jesse was a small LB that was good against the run....Thanks

Lastly, there's a difference between shedding and moving to the ball. If you watch Debo he consistently extends his arms to keep blockers off and keeos his vision and head up to follow the ball to the hole or the outside.

That's the necessary skill for that position above shedding. Shedding skills will be limited because of scheme.

1-0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

You just keep ignoring information just to push your terrible outlook.

Already been said he is at 230 but you keep saying 222. You were even quoted with a response saying he is 230.

Next, it's already been said in the scheme it is designed to keep OL off but you keep expressing that as an issue that will happen all the time.

Next, your response about Jesse Tuggle doesn't help your case because the concern you bring up about Jesse Tuggle is his pass defense while the concern you bring up about Debo is his run defense. So you admit Jesse was a small LB that was good against the run....Thanks

Lastly, there's a difference between shedding and moving to the ball. If you watch Debo he consistently extends his arms to keep blockers off and keeos his vision and head up to follow the ball to the hole or the outside.

That's the necessary skill for that position above shedding. Shedding skills will be limited because of scheme.

You keep ignoring my information. I told you the radio guys that were at the Branch yesterday said Jones looks like he's 220 lbs soaking wet. It is also a known fact that buddy had issues shedding and tackling NCAA boys from the WLB position. Now somehow yall expect him to magically shed and tackle NFL football players as a 222 pound MLB?. Laughable. This smells like a move of desperation.

And will yall please stop asking me to read that long as thread about SEATTLE's scheme? This is Atlanta son. There ain't no Pete Carroll here. Not to mention Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, Bruce Irvin, Kam Chancellor, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril, Brandon Mebane, Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman. I ain't reading it.

In terms of our scheme taking Olinemen off our LBs, what a fkn joke. Our best DLineman at doing that is now a Pantie. An overpaid TJax, an underachieving Hageman and an undersized Jarrett will be asked to do that. Comical. Don't be surprised if we trot Worrilow the great out to the Mike position against the Sucs on September 11. Kutty and crew know how to attack a Worrilow. Jones will likely be relegated to sub packages and special teams. I think he will be more like Jalen Collins than Jessie Tuggle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

You keep ignoring my information. I told you the radio guys that were at the Branch yesterday said Jones looks like he's 220 lbs soaking wet. It is also a known fact that buddy had issues shedding and tackling NCAA boys from the WLB position. Now somehow yall expect him to magically shed and tackle NFL football players as a 222 pound MLB?. Laughable. This smells like a move of desperation.

And will yall please stop asking me to read that long as thread about SEATTLE's scheme? This is Atlanta son. There ain't no Pete Carroll here. Not to mention Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, Bruce Irvin, Kam Chancellor, Micheal Bennett, Cliff Avril, Brandon Mebane, Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman. I ain't reading it.

In terms of our scheme taking Olinemen off our LBs, what a fkn joke. Our best DLineman at doing that is now a Pantie. An overpaid TJax, an underachieving Hageman and an undersized Jarrett will be asked to do that. Comical. Don't be surprised if we trot Worrilow the great out to the Mike position against the Sucs on September 11. Kutty and crew know how to attack a Worrilow. Jones will likely be relegated to sub packages and special teams. I think he will be more like Jalen Collins than Jessie Tuggle. 

Well as long as "radio guys" said that he looks like it, it must be true.....why dont we just ask some carnies at the guess your weight game?

That isn't "information" that is called a guess. They looked at him and guessed. That is literally it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, citsalp said:

Good luck with that debate, before you know it will be a comparision to Tommy Nobis.

I was merely arguing that his size is not an obstacle that can't be overcome.

If the size alone was the determining factor Tuggle could have never succeeded, but we all know he more than succeeded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

You keep ignoring my information. I told you the radio guys that were at the Branch yesterday said Jones looks like he's 220 lbs soaking wet. It is also a known fact that buddy had issues shedding and tackling NCAA boys from the WLB position. Now somehow yall expect him to magically shed and tackle NFL football players as a 222 pound MLB?. Laughable. This smells like a move of desperation.

And will yall please stop asking me to read that long as thread about SEATTLE's scheme? This is Atlanta son. There ain't no Pete Carroll here. Not to mention Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright, Bruce Irvin, Kam Chancellor, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril, Brandon Mebane, Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman. I ain't reading it.

In terms of our scheme taking Olinemen off our LBs, what a fkn joke. Our best DLineman at doing that is now a Pantie. An overpaid TJax, an underachieving Hageman and an undersized Jarrett will be asked to do that. Comical. Don't be surprised if we trot Worrilow the great out to the Mike position against the Sucs on September 11. Kutty and crew know how to attack a Worrilow. Jones will likely be relegated to sub packages and special teams. I think he will be more like Jalen Collins than Jessie Tuggle. 

Man I never knew that the radio guys were the ones we should trust to recognize another man's weight. Silly me....Laughable.

The read was about how it could apply and it aligns with DQ and TD pressers. Bobby Wagner wasn't Bobby Wagner at the time of this article, neither was Irvin. Bennett nor Avril was on the team if I' not mistaken. So if you want to ignore information, then we already know why. You tend to ignore information that is vital when it disagrees with your point. It's typical.

I think Worrilow will be starting game 1 as well so you're not making any grand announcements with that. I'm not expecting perfection from Deion Jones. I am expecting eventual development.

I will agree with you in regards to the scheme thing though. Who knows if our DL will allow for that right now? I would have to see that happening. If it isn't the case, then your concerns about shedding may be true but not as daunting as you're making it out to be.

If it isn't the case, then shedding isn't as important. It's the scraping that becomes more the important skill. The extension of the arms to allow vision and then ultimately following the ball. Debo does that very well. 

I'm not looking to Seattle for an exact replica but an understanding because there will be some similarities. That much is a fact and because of that the information laid out shouldn't be ignored. I think you're taking the extreme approach to it and it's mainly because it doesn't fit your outlook of the situation.

Edited by ATLFalcons11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

No, no, no...geniuses like John Chuckery and Mike Bell said we should of drafted 6 pass rushers this year. Pass rush. PASS RRRRRUSSSHHHH! Don't you get it. This non sense about having fast linebackers...BULL!

/purple

Fast linebackers that can cover makes it better for your pass rush.  Lets see what we got in Shelby and Vic.  I think with Seattle by year 3 was when all the pieces came together.  We were 8-8 our first year and they were 7-9.  Second year, Seattle was 7-9.  I have confidence if we have a fast,physical and competent defense with an improving offense.  Look out NFL.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

No, no, no...geniuses like John Chuckery and Mike Bell said we should of drafted 6 pass rushers this year. Pass rush. PASS RRRRRUSSSHHHH! Don't you get it. This non sense about having fast linebackers...BULL!

/purple

Here's why drafting 6 pass rushers makes no sense. First I dont see any of the guys in this draft that are better than what we already have. Second we had a problem with QB dumping off to RB and TEs. We would draft 6 pass rushers only for them to be on the bench or situational pass rushers and we would still have the same problem. I dont know what the people who keeps saying this dont understand. We needed speed at S and LB. Quinn has clearly stated this and we still have people talking this garbage. I clearly understand what Quinn is saying and maybe the ones that dont, should listen to him instead of the outsiders and pundits. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...