Falcons waive 4 UDFA's, sign 3 tryout players

Romfal

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/blog/article-1/Falcons-Sign-3-Tryout-Players-Waive-4-CFAs/a324e49b-7d29-4ec2-9ebd-6c6fa0d5e685

The Atlanta Falcons today announced that they have signed offensive lineman Shabaz Ahmed, wide receiver David Glidden, and defensive end Brandon Williams. They have also waived defensive tackle  Gerald Dixon Jr.icon-article-link.gif , offensive lineman  Alex Fifitaicon-article-link.gif , wide receiver Malachi Jonesicon-article-link.gif , and wide receiver  David Richardsicon-article-link.gif .

Ahmed, 6-3, 285 pounds, started at left guard for 12 of 13 games for Temple last season. He was part of a starting offensive line that led the FBS in time of possession improvement from last season. The offensive line unit was named to Joe Moore Award Honor Roll as top offensive line in the country.

Glidden, 5-8, 185 pounds, saw action in 47 games for Oklahoma State and caught 115 receptions for 1,655 yards and six touchdowns in his career.

Williams, 6-5, 254 pounds, played in 43 games for Southern Illinois and posted 101 total tackles, 9.5 sacks, 18 tackles for loss, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

Dixon Jr., Fifita, Jones and Richards were all signed as college free agents following the Draft.

3 minutes ago, ltstorm2 said:

Even if they don't make and probably won't make the team those three "tryout" guys have to be really excited.

its their first step to try and make the practice squad, realistically. As for the guys that got cut, their dream might be over

So just to clarify, the guys brought in for tryouts, was the tryout period  just for this mini rookie camp? Are the rest of the guys brought in considered gone except for the three that were offered contracts? My guess the answer is yes but just want to be sure before I remove them from my database.

1 minute ago, AEFalcon said:

So just to clarify, the guys brought in for tryouts, was the tryout period  just for this mini rookie camp? Are the rest of the guys brought in considered gone except for the three that were offered contracts? My guess the answer is yes but just want to be sure before I remove them from my database.

Yes... they are gone as well as the 4 guys who were waived.

1 hour ago, citsalp said:

Hey they tried.  Better to try living a dream, than having regrets about not trying.

I wish them luck.

But I get what your saying.

Just kind of sucks in my opinion that they sent these videos out to agents about developing guys to get them to sign and then waive them after two days. 

1 hour ago, Dem Birds said:

Just kind of sucks in my opinion that the sent these videos out to agents about developing guys to get them to sign and that waive them after two days. 

the reality is you only have 90 spots, maybe those few guys really struggled...better to let them go early if you know they have 0 chance

16 minutes ago, Romfal said:

the reality is you only have 90 spots, maybe those few guys really struggled...better to let them go early if you know they have 0 chance

Yeah, I know, business is business. Hopefully they didn't miss out on any other opportunities because of it. 

Reaaaaaallllyyyy hope that extra spot or two is for: 1) Leon Hall and 2) Dominique Easley. 

Hall would solidify our secondary for the coming year, and would be a tremendous veteran presence for Collins, Alford, and even Trufant. Would also give us the option to bring Collins along at whatever speed necessary, given that we would have our outside CB's and slot solidified. 

Our primary secondary would be

CB - Trufant

NB - Alford

FS - Allen

SS - Neal

CB - Hall

If Allen improves, and Alford performs at least as good as last year (he will probably improve too), then we should actually have a very strong secondary. 

I am a lifelong Michigan fan, but am not bias when it comes to evaluating talent. With that said, Hall was phenomenal and consistent at Michigan. He has continued that consistency of high level play since he entered the league as a 1st round pick in 2007. He is a vet, but he is far from a bag of dirt. I'd bet he has a good 3-4 years left in him. He is still a very effective CB, but the best thing he brings to the table is his intelligence. He can play any coverage, and will rarely get flagged, or blatantly toasted. He is a very stable and reliable CB at the very least, and still has enough in the tank to put together a Pro-Bowl worthy season or two.

56 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

The try outs are the ones that made it, the contracted players were cut. Your word play doesn't work here lol. 

I'm referring to the the plan D video and the quote of the post I quoted  "Just kind of sucks in my opinion that the sent these videos out to agents about developing guys to get them to sign and that waive them after two days.".

But hey, im no english major so you
're probably right lol