The reason I'm glad Blank sits in on front office meetings as an observer

gazoo

It's quite possible in the long run Blank will be seen as a hero around here. For now, the media and some fans portray him as a bumbling, meddling  owner but I think that paints a very distorted picture of what is going on here. No doubt in the early days Blank meddled and paid the "price" so to speak. He bumped horns with Reeves and instsisted we bring in Peerless Price which really backfired on us. I promise you if he had to do it over again you would not catch him dead wheeling his injured QB On the sidelines.

The only question is, has Blank learned from his mistakes? All indications are he has. Now, although he is present in most front office meetings and so forth, I don't believe he meddles, he's now an OBSERVER.

What did Blank observe after the 2012 season when the team went to heII in a hand basket? It appears now what he observed was his coaching staff wasn't developing players and had lost their way with no team identity , not even knowing what type of defense we were implementing. When Nolan told AJC we were implementing  a 3-4 base, the very next week Smitty came out claiming that wasn't true and were were implementing a multiple WTF that is. The players were also confused, I knew we were in really big trouble when that happened.

While many fans blamed TD exclusively for the meltdown, and he certainly had a part in it, Blank observed the bigger problem was an utter lack of player development and team identity.  Thank God Blank saw this and made major adjustments that I'm very excited about.

First, Blank let Smitty go and hired a professional firm to help him land a head coach. While the fans and media portrayed last offseason as a comedy of errors, Blank outsmarted EVERYONE by landing arguably to most coveted head coaching candidtate available in Quinn. He knew Quinn had a specific game plan, had the NFLs top defense, had developed many players. The lack of player development finally caught up to Smitty in his last two years. Who knows how many other Ricardo Allens were laying waste away on the roster?

Another thing Blank did was see how critical player development was and bring in all those former GMs to scour the hundreds of late round and Undrafted players to find SCHEME SPECIFIC players to develop as Quinn did late round studs like Kam Chancellor, Richard Sherman and Undrafted Michael Bennet. Once again, Blank gets highly criticized for bringing in all these former GMs but I applaud him for it.

What I've seen from Blank is a guy who keeps making critical adjustments AT THE OWNERSHIP/ORGANIZATIONAL LEVEL, allows his front office to do their jobs without interference, a man who desperately wants to bring us fans a Super Bowl, who really cares about winning, who has made mistakes in the past but seems to learn from them, a guy who may just at the end of the day end up being a hero to us Lombardi starved fans. Yes, I fully understand things might not work out and how hard it is to win a Super Bowl, but I also really like the promising changes Blank has made to the organizational structure the last two years.

I'm a fan who is abundantly grateful for Arthur Blank and his involvement in the team.

Agree that Arthur Blank wants to be the owner that gets Atlanta its first Lombardi Trophy. He's always been way too hands-on in a business he didn't have enough knowledge about to be calling all the shots.

In his defense, his latest moves have been his best. Firing Mike Smith was mandatory. Letting a search firm assist in the hiring of the HC was a smart move. Having Quinn and TD report to him separately is also a very shrewd move. Bringing in a bunch of former NFL GM's was also shrewd.

After a lot of twists and turns and a long learning curve, Blank may finally have the infrastructure in place to win a Lombardi Trophy before his time on earth is done. There remains only the need for the roster to become strong enough mentally and tough enough physically to get the job done. With Quinn and the new scouting department to take care of that, I think Blank's got a very good shot at the trophy, and soon.

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree that Arthur Blank wants to be the owner that gets Atlanta its first Lombardi Trophy. He's always been way too hands-on in a business he didn't have enough knowledge about to be calling all the shots.

In his defense, his latest moves have been his best. Firing Mike Smith was mandatory. Letting a search firm assist in the hiring of the HC was a smart move. Having Quinn and TD report to him separately is also a very shrewd move. Bringing in a bunch of former NFL GM's was also shrewd.

After a lot of twists and turns and a long learning curve, Blank may finally have the infrastructure in place to win a Lombardi Trophy before his time on earth is done. There remains only the need for the roster to become strong enough mentally and tough enough physically to get the job done. With Quinn and the new scouting department to take care of that, I think Blank's got a very good shot at the trophy, and soon.

Well written, and I agree 100%.  Blank has been on a learning curve, I feel good everything is falling in place.

As long as Blank is only making busines decisions I'm good.If he is interfering in how the team is built and how it plays I certainly have an issue with that.

Business man take care of business.

F/ball is for F/ball minds not the above.

I think a clear definitive line needs to be drawn and Blank has to have trust in the guys he's hired.

5 hours ago, gazoo said:

It's quite possible in the long run Blank will be seen as a hero around here. For now, the media and some fans portray him as a bumbling, meddling  owner but I think that paints a very distorted picture of what is going on here. No doubt in the early days Blank meddled and paid the "price" so to speak. He bumped horns with Reeves and instsisted we bring in Peerless Price which really backfired on us. I promise you if he had to do it over again you would not catch him dead wheeling his injured QB On the sidelines.

The only question is, has Blank learned from his mistakes? All indications to me sound like he has and now although he is present in most front office meetings and so forth, I don't believe he meddles, he's now an OBSERVER.

What did Blank observe after the 2012 season when the team went to heII in a hand basket? It appears now what he observed was his coaching staff wasn't developing players and had lost their way with no team identity , not even knowing what type of defense we were implementing. When Nolan told AJC we were implanting a 3-4 base, the very next week Smitty came out claiming that wasn't true and were were impending a multiple WTF that is. The players were also confused, I knew we were in really big trouble when that happened.

While many fans blamed TD exclusively for the meltdown, and he certainly had a part in it, Blank observed the bigger problem was an utter lack of player development and team identity.  Thank God Blank saw this and made major adjustments that I'm very excited about.

First, Blank let Smitty go and hired a professional firm to help him land a head coach. While the fans and media portrayed last offseason as a comedy of errors, Blank outsmarted EVERYONE by landing arguably to most coveted head coaching candidtate available in Quinn. He knew Quinn had a specific game plan, had the NFLs top defense, had developed players and knew the lack of this caused a big part of the 2013/2014 meltdown. The lack of player development finally caught up to Smitty in his last two years. Who knows how many other Ricardo Allens were laying waste away on the roster?

Another thing Blank did was see how critical player development was and bring in all those former GMs to scour the hundreds of late round and Undrafted players to find SCHEME SPECIFIC players to develop as Quinn did late round studs like Kam Chancellor, Richard Sherman and Undrafted Michael Bennet. Once again, Blank gets highly criticized for bringing in all these former GMs but I applaud him for it.

What I've seen from Blank is a guy who keeps making critical adjustments AT THE OWNERSHIP LEVEL, allows his front office to do their jobs without interference, a man who desperately wants to bring us fans a Super Bowl, who really cares about winning, who has made mistakes in the past but seems to learn from them, a guy who may just at the end of the day end up being a hero to us Lombardi starved fans. Yes, I fully understand things might not work out and how hard it is to win a Super Bowl, but I also really like the changes Blank has made to the organizarptional structure the last two years. I'm a fan who is abundantly grateful for Arthur Blank and glad he is  involed as an observer at the highest levels.

Just three things:

1. We changed from a 3-4 to a multiple defense in a week - we had to. Nolan and Smitty made it clear they wanted to run a 3-4. Dimi went and got Soliai for the nose and TJax for DE. He drafted Hageman. He also drafted four LBs and signed Jacques Smith, Stupar and Angerer. We switched to a 4-2-5 the next week after they got a good look at that shtty set of LBs Dimi acquired. Most of em were released soon after. We barely had enough backers to run the 4-2-5 nickle. 

2. We had no identity - bush it. Smitty's identity was play smash mouth ball by running the ball down throats and playing BBDB to limit big plays and keep teams out of the end zone. Blank and Dimi changed that to "go explosive and try to be like New Orleans and Green Bay".

3. Smitty and his staff didn't develop players - what about Ryan, Grimes, Turner, Blalock, WillyMo, Lofton, Biermann, Clabo, Dahl, Snelling, Weems, McClure, Nic, Julio, DeCloud, Hawley, Vance, Alf, McClain, Ish, DiMarco and Schraeder? Those guys got better under Smitty and his staff.

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Just three things:

1. We changed from a 3-4 to a multiple defense in a week - we had to. Nolan and Smitty made it clear they wanted to run a 3-4. Dimi went and got Soliai for the nose and TJax for DE. He drafted Hageman. He also drafted four LBs and signed Jacques Smith, Stupar and Angerer. We switched to a 4-2-5 the next week after they got a good look at that shtty set of LBs Dimi acquired. Most of em were released soon after. We barely had enough backers to run the 4-2-5 nickle. 

2. We had no identity - bush it. Smitty's identity was play smash mouth ball by running the ball down throats and playing BBDB to limit big plays and keep teams out of the end zone. Blank and Dimi changed that to "go explosive and try to be like New Orleans and Green Bay".

3. Smitty and his staff didn't develop players - what about Ryan, Grimes, Turner, Blalock, WillyMo, Lofton, Biermann, Clabo, Dahl, Snelling, Weems, McClure, Nic, Julio, DeCloud, Hawley, Vance, Alf, McClain, Ish, DiMarco and Schraeder? Those guys got better under Smitty and his staff.

Yep!

6 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Yep!

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Just three things:

2 things man.

The explosive thing came from AB not TD he just followed the script from above.

MS ran out of idea's man we played smash mouth for 5 years behind Turner Snelling Mughelli and didn't get it done hence why Mularkey got the boot and the mentioned was clueless after that.

6 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Just three things:

Do you a link to that? As I recall,when asked about our defensive scheme, the coaching staff and defensive players either gave conflicting answers or the wouln't (couldn't) give a definitive answer.

if we were switching to a conventional 3-4, why did we keep so many 4-3 players in the defensive front 7, whose skills weren't suited to that system? Surely if we were switching, we'd have cleaned house of guys who weren't suited to that system and used the saving to add a few more 3-4 pieces.

Plus, if Smith and Nolan's master plan was dependant on finding a bunch of day 1 starters at LB from the backend of round 4 in the draft onwards, then thet are monumental idiots.

3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

2 things man.

MS ran out of idea's man we played smash mouth for 5 years behind Turner Snelling Mughelli and didn't get it done hence why Mularkey got the boot and the mentioned was clueless after that.

Maybe they forgot why MS got fired and not TD. For the first time in years we have competition across the board. Thats how you get better as a team. How many times did we see players play well only to sit on the bench because a veteran played ahead of them under MS? Ricardo Allen would have never got a chance under MS. 

6 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

2 things man.

Dimi is on tape walking off the field after the 2010 GB playoff disaster saying "we have to get more explosive". Even if that was Blank's idea Dimi was weak enough to get puppeted into the move. Before that trade we were 33-18 (.688). Since the trade we are 41-39 (.513). Explosive. Oh and Mularkey didn't get the boot. He quit. He's had two head coaching jobs since he left. When he was here we averaged 24.5 ppg. Since he quit Kutty and Shanny averaged 23.3 ppg.

3 hours ago, ukfalc said:

Do you a link to that? As I recall,when asked about our defensive scheme, the coaching staff and defensive players either gave conflicting answers or the wouln't (couldn't) give a definitive answer.

if we were switching to a conventional 3-4, why did we keep so many 4-3 players in the defensive front 7, whose skills weren't suited to that system? Surely if we were switching, we'd have cleaned house of guys who weren't suited to that system and used the saving to add a few more 3-4 pieces.

Plus, if Smith and Nolan's master plan was dependant on finding a bunch of day 1 starters at LB from the backend of round 4 in the draft onwards, then thet are monumental idiots.

There's an article out there somewhere of Nolan saying "OK line up in the base defense" on the first day of camp and the defense quickly lined up in a 3-4. Spoon got hurt and Nolan and Smitty quickly realized they had a slew of Dimi backers that couldn't run a 3-4. The next week is when all the multiple talk started. We ended up in a 4-2-5 nickel base with two UDFA backers manning the unit (Worrilow and Bartu). Dimi was in charge of the draft then and still is to this day. In last month's draft that clown was still looking for backers.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/5/16/5721758/the-falcons-are-running-more-3-4-packages

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/3/14/5508476/falcons-prepared-to-shift-to-a-3-4-base-defense

I agree with everything you say here other than your first sentence ,, All I ever hear about Blank is positive.. He is maybe the best owner in the League.. IMO he is the best.. All I've ever heard about him is positive. When he sees the mistakes that the Coaches make,, He points it out.. Wouldn't we all love to sit in on one meeting with the coaches and tell them just one thing they should do to improve our chance for a SB.. I sure would.. I know exactly what I would say,, I'd say ,, Learn from the Broncos SB winners.. They took a hall of fame QB and told him to get the ball out quick with all passes being within a 3 second time. Which enabled Manning to not get hit or knocked out of the game.. Run the ball, and won the game a good O# and with a GREAT!  D#,,,  The KEY was getting the passes off with in 3 seconds to not allow Manning to get sacked or hurt, He just managed the game.. Would you ever have believed that Manning would play a game like that..?? But that is why they won.... Very Smart Football Philosophy, 

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

There's an article out there somewhere of Nolan saying "OK line up in the base defense" on the first day of camp and the defense quickly lined up in a 3-4. Spoon got hurt and Nolan and Smitty quickly realized they had a slew of Dimi backers that couldn't run a 3-4. The next week is when all the multiple talk started. We ended up in a 4-2-5 nickel base with two UDFA backers manning the unit (Worrilow and Bartu). Dimi was in charge of the draft then and still is to this day. In last month's draft that clown was still looking for backers.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/5/16/5721758/the-falcons-are-running-more-3-4-packages

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2014/3/14/5508476/falcons-prepared-to-shift-to-a-3-4-base-defense

You are so full of shet. He asked for a link to support your baseless assertion and you copy two links that do not, in any way, support what you said.

You're officially busted dude.

Your claim is mere fantasy, to enable you to continue bashing TD when we all pointed out the conflicting information that was coming from our players and coaches about our scheme.

There is another point to make. After the 2010 season we heard not just Blank, not just Smitty, not just TD, but all of them mention wanting to get more explosive pieces. After drafting Julio Jones went to the Playoffs two seasons in a row after that and dam near went to the Super Bowl the following year. We most likely would have a Lombardi Trophy here in Atlanta had we made it to Super Bowl,as we really matched up well against the Ravens and most likely would have beaten them.

Revisionist  history tells the story of how wanting to get more explosive somehow was an epic blunder yet THAT DECISION GOT US 10 YARDS FROM A SUPER BOWL WE PROBABLY WOULD HAVE WON and left us with players like Julio Jones, Vic Beasely, Clayborn, Coleman, Hageman etc. everyone LOVES our explosive players.

We DID need to get more explosive.

The 2013/2014 meltdown was due to a complete lack of direction from coaching and the fact that our lack of player development since beginning of Smitty era finally caught up to the team. FFS70 can day this all he want but Blank flat out admitted this was a big problem which is why we made the huge organizational shifts that we did.

The proof, is in the pudding.

Here is what FFS70 is in abject denial about: 

From The Falcoholic "One of the first statements Blank made was that he was looking for a coach that would have a focus on developing players. It was a an indictment of Smitty's time as head coach that fans could relate to. Too often, fans saw players with potential get drafted in the middle-to-late rounds, only to be permanently affixed on the bench or on special teams. Ultimately, it seems that Blank saw that issue as well."

The whole thing about Nolan's defense is overblown.  He's always run a hybrid.  Always.  He usually runs it out of a 3-4 front, but it can go either way.  The issue with Nolan's defense wasn't that they didn't know what to run.  It's that nobody knew what type of players he wanted to run it.  It's like the mindset was "just get us some guys and we'll scheme to their strengths."  

The funny thing is Nolan isn't all that different from Quinn.  Similar principles, similar players needed.  Nolan didn't run the cover 3 shell, so the coverage is significantly different, but the front 7 isn't all that much different.  Nolan wanted length in his linebackers and linemen, and speed across the front.  He even had that big nickel position that was similar to how we use the SS, only in nickel looks.  I'm convinced there was just a huge disconnect between the front office and the staff, and I wonder how much of that was Nolan not having access to tell TD what type of players he wanted.  Remember, the Nolan/Smith dynamic was a lot like the Shanahan/Quinn dynamic, in that Nolan ran the defense and Smith was hands off. 

And yet I wonder how much Smith interjected himself (such as the 3-4/hybrid/multiple discussion), and also whether Nolan had the access to TD and the front office and scouting departments that Shanahan appears to.  Because I know we’ve heard a lot from both TD and Mr. Blank about how clear the staff is about what kind of player they want, and that seems to be a distinction being drawn more so than a “wow, we got another staff that’s great at communication!”

Good points JDaveG.  You are correct that Smitty was hands on with TD but not hands on with Nolan and that this could have been part of the dysfunction.

You are also right that both TD and Blank have commented about Quinns communication about the exact type of players he wants here and how TD and Quinn are on exactly the same page in philosophy.

13 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Just three things:

I agree....had to play 2 undrafted guys at LB because the others were just not good players. 

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

The whole thing about Nolan's defense is overblown.  He's always run a hybrid.  Always.  He usually runs it out of a 3-4 front, but it can go either way.  The issue with Nolan's defense wasn't that they didn't know what to run.  It's that nobody knew what type of players he wanted to run it.  It's like the mindset was "just get us some guys and we'll scheme to their strengths."  

The funny thing is Nolan isn't all that different from Quinn.  Similar principles, similar players needed.  Nolan didn't run the cover 3 shell, so the coverage is significantly different, but the front 7 isn't all that much different.  Nolan wanted length in his linebackers and linemen, and speed across the front.  He even had that big nickel position that was similar to how we use the SS, only in nickel looks.  I'm convinced there was just a huge disconnect between the front office and the staff, and I wonder how much of that was Nolan not having access to tell TD what type of players he wanted.  Remember, the Nolan/Smith dynamic was a lot like the Shanahan/Quinn dynamic, in that Nolan ran the defense and Smith was hands off. 

And yet I wonder how much Smith interjected himself (such as the 3-4/hybrid/multiple discussion), and also whether Nolan had the access to TD and the front office and scouting departments that Shanahan appears to.  Because I know we’ve heard a lot from both TD and Mr. Blank about how clear the staff is about what kind of player they want, and that seems to be a distinction being drawn more so than a “wow, we got another staff that’s great at communication!”

Those 2 losing seasons have humbled TD. He is now realizing that his arrogance sent this team into a downward spiral. When guys he drafted get beat out by undertalented undrafted guy.....there's your sign!