Jump to content

Deion Jones is not Quinn's Bobby Wagner


Recommended Posts

I've seen the comparison made.  I've also seen way too much hype for him coming in and taking over a MLB to which I must say pump the brakes.

Wagner came out as one of the best tacklers in college football.  4 strong years of experience.  Team captain.  A player with very little holes in his game.  Jones comes out as one of the worst tacklers in his class with very little experience.

We've all seen the pff stats posted about Jones' lack of tackling ability, but this breakdown really goes into depth about why you should calm your tits on Jones.

http://buildingtheherd.com/scout-team/scouting-reports/deion-jones-scouting-report-is-lsu-lb-a-potential-buffalo-bills-nfl-draft-target/

Quick points of the article:

Missed 12 tackles with 10 coming on running plays.  4th worst in Nation.

Targeted 43 times with 28 receptions for 283 yds...65% completion rate.

Needs to be kept clean in order to make plays in the running game.

Inconsistent tackler.

Good in zone and diagnosing pass plays.

 

Jones is another project.  Just as Collins was a project.  I personally dont care to have a project that cant tackle in the middle of my defense.  But whatever floats your boat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, KRUNKuno said:

I've seen the comparison made.  I've also seen way too much hype for him coming in and taking over a MLB to which I must say pump the brakes.

Wagner came out as one of the best tacklers in college football.  4 strong years of experience.  Team captain.  A player with very little holes in his game.  Jones comes out as one of the worst tacklers in his class with very little experience.

We've all seen the pff stats posted about Jones' lack of tackling ability, but this breakdown really goes into depth about why you should calm your tits on Jones.

http://buildingtheherd.com/scout-team/scouting-reports/deion-jones-scouting-report-is-lsu-lb-a-potential-buffalo-bills-nfl-draft-target/

Quick points of the article:

Missed 12 tackles with 10 coming on running plays.  4th worst in Nation.

Targeted 43 times with 28 receptions for 283 yds...65% completion rate.

Needs to be kept clean in order to make plays in the running game.

Inconsistent tackler.

Good in zone and diagnosing pass plays.

 

Jones is another project.  Just as Collins was a project.  I personally dont care to have a project that cant tackle in the middle of my defense.  But whatever floats your boat.

Good information there. I guess Quinn thinks he can improve and he certainly could. I do believe that Jones will have a harder than expected time trying to crack the line-up. He's going to need to be coached up to knock Worrilow out of his spot, and he is very much like Collins was when he arrived last year. Ironically they both come from the same school. I too do not care for project players, as they often don't work out in the ATL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Good in zone and diagnosing pass plays.

Hmmm,,, seems to fit the prescription the Dr. ordered. That's what we are asking him to do as a pro right? Play the zone and diagnose the pass. Love Quinn. He gets the guys that already do well the one thing he wants out of them most at the professional level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He had 12.5 TFL, 5 sacks, 2 INT s, 1 FF & 3 PD last year. Ran the fastest 40 at the combine, had really good agility numbers, think it's a reasonable pick. Quinn's D is supposed to be pretty easy to grasp and Quinn is supposed to be a good teacher. Lets see how quick he can get up to speed.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ben Day Hoe said:

Hmmm,,, seems to fit the prescription the Dr. ordered. That's what we are asking him to do as a pro right? Play the zone and diagnose the pass. Love Quinn. He gets the guys that already do well the one thing he wants out of them most at the professional level.

So are we not asking him to tackle and be effective in the run game?  I mean he is supposed to be our starter, right?

And a 65% completion rate isn't something to be applauded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Y'all need to chill with the comparisons, anyway. Everybody thinks that Quinn is trying to clone Seattle's defense. I'm pretty sure he's not. The Seahawks' D is a template, but Quinn knows that there is a unique collection of talent there. Neal is not and will not be Kam Chancellor. Jones is not and will not be Bobby Wagner. They might have similar attributes but everybody has a different motor and motivation to get better. Some want to improve. Some want to be the best. And some just want to get paid. Let's find out which our guys are before we get excited about being the Legion of Boom, Deep South Edition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

So are we not asking him to tackle and be effective in the run game?  I mean he is supposed to be our starter, right?

And a 65% completion rate isn't something to be applauded.

I know you are a glass half empty type. You think we going 4-12 like bleacher?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I've seen the comparison made.  I've also seen way too much hype for him coming in and taking over a MLB to which I must say pump the brakes.

Wagner came out as one of the best tacklers in college football.  4 strong years of experience.  Team captain.  A player with very little holes in his game.  Jones comes out as one of the worst tacklers in his class with very little experience.

We've all seen the pff stats posted about Jones' lack of tackling ability, but this breakdown really goes into depth about why you should calm your tits on Jones.

http://buildingtheherd.com/scout-team/scouting-reports/deion-jones-scouting-report-is-lsu-lb-a-potential-buffalo-bills-nfl-draft-target/

Quick points of the article:

Missed 12 tackles with 10 coming on running plays.  4th worst in Nation.

Targeted 43 times with 28 receptions for 283 yds...65% completion rate.

Needs to be kept clean in order to make plays in the running game.

Inconsistent tackler.

Good in zone and diagnosing pass plays.

 

Jones is another project.  Just as Collins was a project.  I personally dont care to have a project that cant tackle in the middle of my defense.  But whatever floats your boat.

Just a couple of things here. That article is projecting him to play for the Bills and I think would be a bad fit for him. Those concerns listed are still concerns but all of them can be corrected to a degree. His tackling seems to be a discipline problem that a physical problem. Out of that I think the biggest problem is about being blown up when Olineman get into him. He may need to add a little size and strength to deal with it but that can happen to any LBer. Clearly Quinn thinks those can be fixed. We are not asking him to play the typical MLBer role though. Despite all that what jumps out when you watch him is the fact he has great instincts he has incredible short area quickness and he is all over the field.

That article also concludes he has the potential to be a real impact player on defense. So one of 2 things happen. He realizes that potential and becomes a impact player on defense or he does not and is average. I'm leaning towards the fact he realizes it but it may take a year but I think he can contribute and make us better in the mean time.

His athleticism is all over his game tapes and when you watch him it is very clear that he can play but he needs some work a couple of areas. We stole him in the 2nd round. We should be arrested.

Edited by Sobeit
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gil Brandt had him as one of the most underrated D prospects:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000646511/article/ten-most-underrated-defensive-prospects-in-2016-nfl-draft

Deion Jones, OLB, LSU: Jones (6-0 7/8, 222, 4.59) plays like Buccaneers LB Lavonte David. He's very athletic and quick. He needs to get stronger and I think he will. He'll start and play on all downs in the NFL. He's one of my favorite players in this draft.

 

Had Neal on the list too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't Jones have around 100 tackles last season as a 1st year starter?

 

I think that Jones missed tackles can be cleaned up with coaching and more experience.

 

I agree that he isn't Bobby Wagner, he is Deion Jones. If he is able to put it all together with his freakish athleticism then he could be a very scary defender on Quinn's defense. We will see.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Y'all need to chill with the comparisons, anyway. Everybody thinks that Quinn is trying to clone Seattle's defense. I'm pretty sure he's not. The Seahawks' D is a template, but Quinn knows that there is a unique collection of talent there. Neal is not and will not be Kam Chancellor. Jones is not and will not be Bobby Wagner. They might have similar attributes but everybody has a different motor and motivation to get better. Some want to improve. Some want to be the best. And some just want to get paid. Let's find out which our guys are before we get excited about being the Legion of Boom, Deep South Edition.

Pretty much this

Jones is intended for the "Bobby Wagner role" but he isn't intended to be Bobby Wagner. He's intended to be Deion Jones. 

Now, I'm sure that if you asked Quinn he would tell you that he hopes Jones can be as good as Wagner and more, but that's all up in the air for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I've seen the comparison made.  I've also seen way too much hype for him coming in and taking over a MLB to which I must say pump the brakes.

Wagner came out as one of the best tacklers in college football.  4 strong years of experience.  Team captain.  A player with very little holes in his game.  Jones comes out as one of the worst tacklers in his class with very little experience.

We've all seen the pff stats posted about Jones' lack of tackling ability, but this breakdown really goes into depth about why you should calm your tits on Jones.

http://buildingtheherd.com/scout-team/scouting-reports/deion-jones-scouting-report-is-lsu-lb-a-potential-buffalo-bills-nfl-draft-target/

Quick points of the article:

Missed 12 tackles with 10 coming on running plays.  4th worst in Nation.

Targeted 43 times with 28 receptions for 283 yds...65% completion rate.

Needs to be kept clean in order to make plays in the running game.

Inconsistent tackler.

Good in zone and diagnosing pass plays.

 

Jones is another project.  Just as Collins was a project.  I personally dont care to have a project that cant tackle in the middle of my defense.  But whatever floats your boat.

LOL. Can't we just like our picks?

I just want him to be the best Deion Jones he can be for Atlanta.

I swear man, there are a lot of threads coming up with all kinds of convoluted angles and reasoning of why our guys can't be this or that.

Wtf is going on around here?   Why do some of you always have to remind us that our players just won't be all that for 18 fkg reasons that I really couldn't care less about?  

I'm a pretty simple kind of fan.  I want our guys to become great or at least help us get better.  Until they suck, please spare us the bull crud so you can be the guy who, 3 years from now, just knew he would be a bust LOL.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, falconidae said:

Gil Brandt had him as one of the most underrated D prospects:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000646511/article/ten-most-underrated-defensive-prospects-in-2016-nfl-draft

Deion Jones, OLB, LSU: Jones (6-0 7/8, 222, 4.59) plays like Buccaneers LB Lavonte David. He's very athletic and quick. He needs to get stronger and I think he will. He'll start and play on all downs in the NFL. He's one of my favorite players in this draft.

 

Had Neal on the list too.

I dont know how any one watched either one of them play and not see them as underrated based on their pre draft grades. Jones a one year starter that was on the field for over 80% of the snaps and plays well in coverage and you are gonna be hesitant because of 12 missed tackles and when you look at the plays it is more a discipline issue than a poor tackling issue. Jones was a great value pick but it may take him a year to realize ALL of THAT potential but I think watching him play it is evident that he will.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I'm a pretty simple kind of fan.  I want our guys to become great or at least help us get better.  Until they suck, please spare us the bull crud so you can be the guy who, 3 years from now, just knew he would be a bust LOL.

 

This right here ya'll.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not an Xs and Os guy so maybe someone can help me out here, but can't Jones + Worrilow = Wagner?

For all the Worrilow hate, the man's one main skill is tackling. Isn't there a possibility that Worrilow plays 1st and 2nd down while Jones plays 3rd for a year or two until he's bulked up and learned how to tackle?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NeonDeion said:

I'm not an Xs and Os guy so maybe someone can help me out here, but can't Jones + Worrilow = Wagner?

For all the Worrilow hate, the man's one main skill is tackling. Isn't there a possibility that Worrilow plays 1st and 2nd down while Jones plays 3rd for a year or two until he's bulked up and learned how to tackle?

There are very few things strategically that are set in stone in football.  So, yes, there is no reason that the two could rotate... theoretically speaking.

But teams throw on 1st and 2nd down, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NeonDeion said:

I'm not an Xs and Os guy so maybe someone can help me out here, but can't Jones + Worrilow = Wagner?

For all the Worrilow hate, the man's one main skill is tackling. Isn't there a possibility that Worrilow plays 1st and 2nd down while Jones plays 3rd for a year or two until he's bulked up and learned how to tackle?

I'm not sure that this year we wont see a 3 man platoon and ILB and SLB. I think on the inside we will see Reed play some there along with Worrilow and Jones. Jones playing time should increase as the year goes on. Then on the strong side I think we will see Reed, Beasley and Upshaw. We may even see Jones get some looks on the weak side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Half will always be right and half will always be wrong...I trust the coaching staff. ..they know more than me and it's evident by their job title. ..I saylet them play and let them grow . ..and if they don't pan oout 3 years from now...I won't remember who we should have picked anyway...if every draft pick was a star..we wouldn't need a draft every year. .let's support who we have until we run they a$$ out of town

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, falconidae said:

He had 12.5 TFL, 5 sacks, 2 INT s, 1 FF & 3 PD last year. Ran the fastest 40 at the combine, had really good agility numbers, think it's a reasonable pick. Quinn's D is supposed to be pretty easy to grasp and Quinn is supposed to be a good teacher. Lets see how quick he can get up to speed.

 

 

he did not run the fastest 40 at the combine, not even for a lb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...