Jump to content

Finally, a Georgia Republican I can get behind


Recommended Posts

Quote

Over in the 3rd Congressional District’s Republican primary, state Sen. Mike Crane (R-Newnan) made some provocative comments about the necessity of shooting police officers.

Crane has done some admirable things as a state senator. He’s one of the few lawmakers with the courage to stand up to the governor and the legislative leadership when they’re trying to ram bills through to passage in the dying hours of a session.

Crane once held up a roll of yellow crime scene tape while making a speech to show his distaste for a proposed Senate rules change. When the Senate was voting on the transportation tax increase last year, Crane asked defiantly, “Isn’t it true that this is an unqualified midnight run on Georgia taxpayers?"

Even so, Crane raised a few eyebrows when he said this about police officers who use no-knock warrants to conduct a raid on a private residence: “If you come to my house, kick down my door, if I have an opportunity I will shoot you dead. And every one of you should do the same.”

When asked about the controversy by a local reporter, Crane said, "I’ll never apologize for defending my home or anybody else’s right to defend their home.”

Capitol Impact: A Felon and Other Controversial Candidates By Tom Crawford

YISGlJc.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

There is always funding, it is the ways things are allocated that is the problem.  

Prior to the bill, Georgia had one of the lowest gas taxes in the nation.  

 

They need to eliminate the gas tax and link it to tags based in vehicle weight and miles driven per year.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, kicker said:

Prior to the bill, Georgia had one of the lowest gas taxes in the nation.  

 

They need to eliminate the gas tax and link it to tags based in vehicle weight and miles driven per year.  

How do you prove how many miles they drove on your road?  A tax is a tax.  Gas is okay, unless you are trying to get more out of truckers.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lostone said:

How do you prove how many miles they drove on your road?  A tax is a tax.  Gas is okay, unless you are trying to get more out of truckers.  

lol.  And people that fill up in one county on their way to the next don't pay for "your" road either.  

Gas taxes don't work.  If the object is to incentivize fuel efficiency, then you do so at the expense of road funding.  The tax's foremost focus is road funding.

Electric vehicles use the road and don't pay for them.  Further, Tzhe higher the tax, the more likely people are to fill up in adjacent states as they travel, so again you have people using your road and not paying for it.  Most of the taxes also aren't indexed for inflation, so they are getting eroded on both sides.  They need another mechanism that more accurately captures the demographic of people using the roads.  As it is, weight of the vehicle and miles driven are two direct factors for how much wear and tear a car puts on a road.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kicker said:

lol.  And people that fill up in one county on their way to the next don't pay for "your" road either.  

Gas taxes don't work.  If the object is to incentivize fuel efficiency, then you do so at the expense of road funding.  The tax's foremost focus is road funding.

Electric vehicles use the road and don't pay for them.  Further, Tzhe higher the tax, the more likely people are to fill up in adjacent states as they travel, so again you have people using your road and not paying for it.  Most of the taxes also aren't indexed for inflation, so they are getting eroded on both sides.  They need another mechanism that more accurately captures the demographic of people using the roads.  As it is, weight of the vehicle and miles driven are two direct factors for how much wear and tear a car puts on a road.  

 

I can see that.  So what will they charge us?  Rather than it be baked in, it will be charged up front as a $200 bill or something 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, lostone said:

I can see that.  So what will they charge us?  Rather than it be baked in, it will be charged up front as a $200 bill or something 

Electric vehicles are taxed and significantly more so than gas fueled vehicles now. They added a $200 EV tax last year and also took away (entirely I think; not positive) the $5000 tax credit for purchasing an EV. I hear legislators want to bring it back though. Here's an article published just before the $200 annual tax was put into effect.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/the_juice/2015/04/georgia_passes_200_electric_car_fee_why_are_states_punishing_people_for.html

edit to add one more link:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1097641_insult-to-injury-ga-kills-electric-car-incentive-adds-last-minute-luxury-car-tax-break

"Meanwhile, Georgia also added a $200 registration fee for battery-electric vehicles.

That's higher than the $165 in state gasoline taxes (at $0.275 per gallon) that a Georgia driver in a 25-mpg vehicle would pay for driving 15,000 miles per year."

Edited by Porkins
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, lostone said:

How do you prove how many miles they drove on your road?  A tax is a tax.  Gas is okay, unless you are trying to get more out of truckers.  

why do you need to?  You tax at registration time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On May 7, 2016 at 7:53 AM, Porkins said:

Electric vehicles are taxed and significantly more so than gas fueled vehicles now. They added a $200 EV tax last year and also took away (entirely I think; not positive) the $5000 tax credit for purchasing an EV. I hear legislators want to bring it back though. Here's an article published just before the $200 annual tax was put into effect.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/the_juice/2015/04/georgia_passes_200_electric_car_fee_why_are_states_punishing_people_for.html

edit to add one more link:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1097641_insult-to-injury-ga-kills-electric-car-incentive-adds-last-minute-luxury-car-tax-break

"Meanwhile, Georgia also added a $200 registration fee for battery-electric vehicles.

That's higher than the $165 in state gasoline taxes (at $0.275 per gallon) that a Georgia driver in a 25-mpg vehicle would pay for driving 15,000 miles per year."

This was part of the legislation I said needed to pass.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, lostone said:

Looks like the do already

This was part of the legislation passed last year.  All of my comments were discussing the situation prior to the bill being signed.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.  

 

That said, we'll be addressing this again in another 10 years.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...