Freeman To Take A "Back Seat" To Coleman in 2016?

3 minutes ago, falconfansince66 said:

Granted, I give Free his due there.  Freeman will definitely be the third down back in the offense.  I do think that Coleman will come up as being the one to hand the ball off to though. 

It's obvious you're bias towards Coleman but he hasnt proven anything to make Free a 3rd down back. I will take the pro bowl RB from 2014 Alex

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, falconfansince66 said:

I think it will happen.  The pro bowl back likely being Coleman.  Even if it doesn't happen, but I have reason to believe it will, we'll be in a very good situation regarding our offense and we can expect the passing game to highly benefit as well.

Ok, and its a free country so you are more than welcome to have reason to believe what you want. But like I said the "Most Likely" Scenario is that you have your Pro Bowl back starting and Coleman backing him up. 

You have to factor in two trust issues. 1. Freeman holds on to the ball and B. he is also the better pass blocker and history has shown both. those are two major factors that "Keeps" an RB on the field, its not just yards from Scrimmage.

16 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Would be nice, but Freeman was money. If they put him behind Coleman it will make little sense. 

It does at 'this time' but we still have several months for Coleman to start making it happen.  I think a lot has to do with so many being so high on him and for what he endured last year was unacceptable to all of us and especially to him.  For Free to turn it around from his rookie season to last year, what makes anyone think that Coleman cannot do the same?  I believe he will. 

7 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

Ha Ha Ha,, you wish, We would all love it if Coleman turns out to be better than Freeman,, We would then have the best two RBs in the NFL on one team.. But Coleman has to prove he's worth keeping on this team first.. 

We can ALL wish. IF Coleman comes out and keeps it up like he started last year (or better) against Philly, stays healthy, this will be a great year.  I do think Coleman will prove his worth and we all should give him a "Rookie Mulligan" for 2015. 

39 minutes ago, falconfansince66 said:

We all know about Coleman's "Red Zone" fumbles that cost him dearly in 2015... BUT- 

In 2015, Freeman had a 4.0 average yards per carry.  Coleman had a 4.5.  Coleman had the job going into the season vs the Eagles where he showed his potential and great speed.  However, the rib injury he acquired put him down and out for a couple of games in which Freeman was able to 'Man Up' and get the job done. 

Looking forward to 2016 - Sure, Coleman has had a 'bitter' taste with a couple of fumbles and the injuries to start the year, in 2016 the potential to finally 'show up' and take over starting duties at RB is nothing less than we can expect.  Coleman's burst is exceedingly quicker than Freeman's and with the revamped OL with Mack at Center (and Levitre with a full off-season), the blocking should be highly improved.  Look for Coleman to come in and take over, busting those long runs with his great speed and providing a much needed boost in the running game, even more than what Freeman gave us last year.  Look for Coleman to provide us with around 1300 yards and Freeman around 1,000 giving us two RB's with 1,000+ yard seasons! 

2016 - The year Colemans 'busts out'.  The Year of the "Wilde-beast". 

I see him as a complement but he will not take a back seat.  

8 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Ok, and its a free country so you are more than welcome to have reason to believe what you want. But like I said the "Most Likely" Scenario is that you have your Pro Bowl back starting and Coleman backing him up. 

You have to factor in two trust issues. 1. Freeman holds on to the ball and B. he is also the better pass blocker and history has shown both. those are two major factors that "Keeps" an RB on the field, its not just yards from Scrimmage.

Agreed, Freeman showed an outstanding amount of growth from his Rookie season.  If Coleman shows that same amount of growth, then we are all WINNERS! 

Coleman needs more patience and vision as well. He has speed and potential to beeak some big ones in Shanny's system. But Freeman will get you 3 on a busted play and help keep the chains moving. Consistency is a big deal and helps sustain long drives.

I will be very happy if Coleman turns out to be 90% as good as Freeman..  WE would be doing just fine with that ... One thing about it, he's a totally different type runner as Freeman. I hope he can prove worthy to be our # 2 RB. I'd love to see him hit about 5 or 10 homeruns this year on the field. 

1 minute ago, maxatlanta said:

Coleman needs more patience and vision as well. He has speed and potential to beeak some big ones in Shanny's system. But Freeman will get you 3 on a busted play and help keep the chains moving. Consistency is a big deal and helps sustain long drives.

Yepper... Being consistent with running north-south, holding on to the ball and pass blocking makes it VERY easy for a coach to keep you on the field.

Very good point!

3 minutes ago, Old Pappy falcon said:

Not just because he's a falcon, but Coleman has shown a flash here and there of an awesome back. He gets it right.......he could be a scary player for the defense's to deal with.

He really looked to be "On" in that first game vs the Eagles then of course the injury thing happened and it kind of went downhill from there but he did show some nice flashes.  Yeah, if he puts it together this year, that's going to be a fun thing to watch.  A rested Freeman coming in and also cleaning up. This duo has the potential to be the best pair of RB's the Falcons have had since William Andrews and Lynn Cain.

Coleman hasn't learned how to carry the football as a Pro. Every contact is an adventure. Until last season he carried in the same hand all the time. I hold my breath everytimehe totes it in traffic. Freeman is the workhorse who can block, catch, and grind out 3 ugly yards. Until Coleman demonstrates ball security over many weeks, he's the speed back/change up.

5 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

I will be very happy if Coleman turns out to be 90% as good as Freeman..  WE would be doing just fine with that ... One thing about it, he's a totally different type runner as Freeman. I hope he can prove worthy to be our # 2 RB. I'd love to see him hit about 5 or 10 homeruns this year on the field. 

Two very different runners for sure. Those 'home runs' by Coleman could be the difference between the two.  It would then become interesting how the roles start to get played then.  

1 hour ago, falconfansince66 said:

We all know about Coleman's "Red Zone" fumbles that cost him dearly in 2015... BUT- 

In 2015, Freeman had a 4.0 average yards per carry.  Coleman had a 4.5.  Coleman had the job going into the season vs the Eagles where he showed his potential and great speed.  However, the rib injury he acquired put him down and out for a couple of games in which Freeman was able to 'Man Up' and get the job done. 

Looking forward to 2016 - Sure, Coleman has had a 'bitter' taste with a couple of fumbles and the injuries to start the year, in 2016 the potential to finally 'show up' and take over starting duties at RB is nothing less than we can expect.  Coleman's burst is exceedingly quicker than Freeman's and with the revamped OL with Mack at Center (and Levitre with a full off-season), the blocking should be highly improved.  Look for Coleman to come in and take over, busting those long runs with his great speed and providing a much needed boost in the running game, even more than what Freeman gave us last year.  Look for Coleman to provide us with around 1300 yards and Freeman around 1,000 giving us two RB's with 1,000+ yard seasons! 

2016 - The year Colemans 'busts out'.  The Year of the "Wilde-beast". 

Bro I read this post, looked up at the poster and said WTF? Surprised. Free is Dimi's only low round gem and you wanna bench him?

With that said, I think Free and Coleman are both third down backs. We needed a bell cow to replace Turner. We went explosive. Dimi passed on Murray, Bell, Lacy and somehow Gurley. Jeez.

Gurley and Free and we would have been set at RB for years.

11 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

Time and coaching helps cure a lot of things and Freeman did an awesome job last year that not many of us even expected.  If the same plays out for Coleman, hopefully we can finally see that potential that made him such a valued pick last year.  It's obvious Free won the year one war between the two but I don't see this as being over anytime soon.