hjerry

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Navy SEALS workout part of Falcons revamped offseason

Vaughn McClure

ESPN Staff Writer

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons coach Dan Quinn continues to come up with creative ways to challenge his team while preparing it for the 2016 season.

As cornerback Robert Alford revealed to the media Wednesday, members of the United States Navy SEALS were brought in last week to lead the players through a rigorous training regime. The Falcons posted a video of the exercises.

Alford was asked about the message he took away from those workouts.

"Just pushing through the rough times," he said. "Every game, you're always going to have some downs, and you've got to come together as a group and decide that you want to push yourself up out of it. And you've got to look to push the next person."

Linebacker Sean Weatherspoon appreciated the message as well.

"It was great for developing an elite brotherhood," Weatherspoon said. "It's basically just setting our standard to an elite level and holding each other accountable to the standard. Team over me. It was beneficial."

The Falcons have put together a few bonding efforts this offseason. First, quarterback Matt Ryan paid for players to meet in South Florida for a passing camp. And Quinn gave the locker room a facelift so offensive players and defensive players and older and younger players could be mixed in together.

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/20480/navy-seals-workout-part-of-falcons-revamped-offseason

20 minutes ago, HaRdH3ad said:

Yo I love Dan Quinn. I don't think u can say that enough. He is changing this team for the better 

We need to do it the steelers way. They stand by there coaches for a while and give them time to figure it out. Mike smith ran his course and he didn't have a clear plan. Dan Quinn is different.  He may make mistakes but he owns them. He encourages everyone to get better even the scouts and coaching staff. We need to keep Quinn for a while. He will change our culture for the long haul. I love it!

40 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

I think its more team building and the leave no man behind/ all for one and one for all ideology... 

Yep...what that log carry is about. If there is a weak link all help compensate. The idea is teamwork as you said, and in this sport (I must remind myself that it's a boys game, unlike the military, which is definitely NOT a boys game.) no one completes the mission, or does jack s#$T by themselves.

4 minutes ago, Falcon918 said:

We need to do it the steelers way. They stand by there coaches for a while and give them time to figure it out. Mike smith ran his course and he didn't have a clear plan. Dan Quinn is different.  He may make mistakes but he owns them. He encourages everyone to get better even the scouts and coaching staff. We need to keep Quinn for a while. He will change our culture for the long haul. I love it!

I fully agree and I like Quinn's ideology and what he brings here.  I do think given Quinn's talent for working with players, once he's had some time in (3-4 years), it's going to start paying off big.  The problem will most likely come from those here (and around Atlanta) not having the patience required but even a dumb@ss can see that he's intent on getting the holes here filled with good talent and depth.  This next year is going to be tough but I feel it's going to be the kind of season we need to mold the youth on this team to compete at a high level for the years following.  For a team to be going into a new stadium in 2017, the Falcons are Light-Years ahead of the disgusting Braves. 

18 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Spoon injured his hamstring lifting the tire and will start the regular season on IR.

g-dawg, the negativity. . 

Cool video. Wish it was longer. I like these team building exercises.  Good things are a foot. Not a hamstring.. 

Being a marine, I can personally say that these workouts shown in the video are a little more in depth than just team building. When doing the log carry not only do you have to rely on everyone's strength evenly but your steps must be close to in sync subconsciously. Also through pain concentration is key. Tire flips use every muscle in the body. Push-ups for me were used more as pain and suffering together as a unit which builds a closer bond through understanding. Overall I'm sure they will have their mental toughness ready for training camp. Happy they did this and from what I know after the draft, veterans really respect what the Falcons did with one of their picks in honor of the military. At the moment some fans may have thought it was in the way from learning who we picked, but I'm glad my team was the one to represent all brothers and sisters in arms.

9 minutes ago, Crazy Trav said:

Being a marine, I can personally say that these workouts shown in the video are a little more in depth than just team building. When doing the log carry not only do you have to rely on everyone's strength evenly but your steps must be close to in sync subconsciously. Also through pain concentration is key. Tire flips use every muscle in the body. Push-ups for me were used more as pain and suffering together as a unit which builds a closer bond through understanding. Overall I'm sure they will have their mental toughness ready for training camp. Happy they did this and from what I know after the draft, veterans really respect what the Falcons did with one of their picks in honor of the military. At the moment some fans may have thought it was in the way from learning who we picked, but I'm glad my team was the one to represent all brothers and sisters in arms.

Thank you for your service sir. That is good insight!

15 minutes ago, TimeBomb said:

g-dawg, the negativity. . 

Cool video. Wish it was longer. I like these team building exercises.  Good things are a foot. Not a hamstring.. 

I know....I will be praying for Spoon's health.