one of the reasons Quinn was brought in was because of his history of player development

Think we have to give him at least one full offseason  to see how that works. Yes, the Seahawks had a bunch of stars on D, but they hardly all started out that way-many were late round draft picks or players that hadn't worked on other teams. Quinn helped make them stars.

Think one of the reasons so many are down on the draft is they don't believe that the players on the roster will be coached up. As much as I loved Smitty, player development was not ever a strength. Lets see if Quinn can turn Neal, Campbell & Jones into really good LBs/Ss, bring out the beast in Hageman and Jarrett, teach Beasley counter moves, integrate Shelby and Upshaw into the D, teach the entire team how to tackle.

If Quinn can do that, and his history [not just at Seattle] suggests he can, then this D can be really good this year and scary good next year

1 minute ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

Just curious..who are the players he developed 

On his staff

Richard Smith: Von Miller, Danny Trevathan, Brandon Marshall who was cut after one season in Jacksonville

Jeff Ulbrich: Myles Jack, Eric Kendricks, Anthony Barr

Wade Harman: Dennis Pitta who was voted as a top 100 player by his peers in 2012-2013

Bobby Turner: Alfred Morris, Clinton Portis, Terrell Davis

34 minutes ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

Jordan Hill

UDFA and journeyman Chris Clemons had one of his best years under Quinn and Raheem Brock who I mentioned yesterday in a thread, had his breakout season after being stuck playing behind Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis for so long like Derrick Shelby was in Miami

42 minutes ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/08/06/dan-quinn-seattle-seahawks

Michael Bennett: "He convinced me he would use me to the best of my abilities,” Bennett says a year later, after inking a four-year contract extension. “I trusted that.” 

Bennett signed on for one year, and Quinn delivered. He moved the 6-4, 274-pounder, undrafted in 2009, from end to tackle in nickel packages, and a year later the Seahawks rewarded his 8.5-sack season with a $28.5 million commitment.

“He’s not married to a scheme; he wants you to grow,” Bennett says of Quinn. “He changes with the players.”

Remember, Michael Bennett was a solid pro prior to getting to Seattle. Now? He's a Top 25 defensive player in the league....and thats being conservative. 

9 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

He’s not married to a scheme; he wants you to grow,” Bennett says of Quinn. “He changes with the players.”

Wait this violates everything mentioned in the other thread. 

4 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Wait this violates everything mentioned in the other thread. 

Not if you understand how to think about problems fluidly and in a flexible manner. 

That's like the blitzing thing someone mentioned the other day. This notion that Quinn wants to generate pressure with just his front 4 so you shouldnt expect much blitzing. In reality, Quinn wants to generate pressure with his front 4 but still blitzes on ~25-30% of defensive snaps, good for like 20th in the league. 

Gotta stop thinking about things as binary. The game doesnt work that way. 

20 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/08/06/dan-quinn-seattle-seahawks

Michael Bennett: "He convinced me he would use me to the best of my abilities,” Bennett says a year later, after inking a four-year contract extension. “I trusted that.” 

Bennett signed on for one year, and Quinn delivered. He moved the 6-4, 274-pounder, undrafted in 2009, from end to tackle in nickel packages, and a year later the Seahawks rewarded his 8.5-sack season with a $28.5 million commitment.

“He’s not married to a scheme; he wants you to grow,” Bennett says of Quinn. “He changes with the players.”

Remember, Michael Bennett was a solid pro prior to getting to Seattle. Now? He's a Top 25 defensive player in the league....and thats being conservative. 

I'm glad you pointed out a great example.  The OP gave the impression Quinn was responsible for developing most of the guys on the Seahawks defense which is just wrong.  Kris Richards is the one responsible for all the guys in the secondary.

45 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Not if you understand how to think about problems fluidly and in a flexible manner. 

That's like the blitzing thing someone mentioned the other day. This notion that Quinn wants to generate pressure with just his front 4 so you shouldnt expect much blitzing. In reality, Quinn wants to generate pressure with his front 4 but still blitzes on ~25-30% of defensive snaps, good for like 20th in the league. 

Gotta stop thinking about things as binary. The game doesnt work that way. 

Oh, I don't care. I just think its funny how strict a lot of people around here stick to their ways of thinking without completely understanding the game.

41 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I'm glad you pointed out a great example.  The OP gave the impression Quinn was responsible for developing most of the guys on the Seahawks defense which is just wrong.  Kris Richards is the one responsible for all the guys in the secondary.

I think its probably a bit more Pete Carroll given that he's a defensive backs coach by trade and has done the same great work in secondaries at every stop along the way. Which gives me hope that Richards and Quinn would learn a lot with respect that to DB work by working with Carroll. 

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

How did I give that impression?  I said Quinn has a reputation as being good at player development, didn't mention anyone in particular. I can pull several quotes about several different sources that say that. Read that over and over when people were talking about the Quinn hire.

If that's so, we should see some of the things I talked about in OP come true this year.

Main point of the thread is that Smith never developed anyone while he was here, so one of the reasons people are worried is because we haven't seen that happen in the past.

4 minutes ago, falconidae said:

How did I give that impression?  I said Quinn has a reputation as being good at player development, didn't mention anyone in particular. I can pull several quotes about several different sources that say that. Read that over and over when people were talking about the Quinn hire.

If that's so, we should see some of the things I talked about in OP come true this year.

Main point of the thread is that Smith never developed anyone while he was here, so one of the reasons people are worried is because we haven't seen that happen in the past.

It was this statement:

Think we have to give him at least one full offseason  to see how that works. Yes, the Seahawks had a bunch of stars on D, but they hardly all started out that way-many were late round draft picks or players that hadn't worked on other teams. Quinn helped make them stars.

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I think its probably a bit more Pete Carroll given that he's a defensive backs coach by trade and has done the same great work in secondaries at every stop along the way. Which gives me hope that Richards and Quinn would learn a lot with respect that to DB work by working with Carroll. 

Richard has been getting credit for his work with the Seattle secondary for a couple of years now but he's been with Carroll for a long time.  Of course Richard's backgound is playing in the secondary so it makes sense he really helped develop those guys.

As the Legion of Boom grew to prominence, so did the level of credit Richard received for helping groom them.

“He’s been instrumental in everything that we have done as a defensive-backs group,’’ cornerback Richard Sherman said.

Sherman points specifically to Richard’s “attention to detail’’ and ability to point things out in film study.

“I mean, he’s just meticulous, incredibly strict about the details,’’ Sherman said. “And understanding the details and the nuances of the game that allow someone to play fast. Everybody can study film, but some people can study film and not know what they are looking at or what you should be looking.

“He does a great job of explaining what you should be looking for or giving you situations and the plays that (the opponent) runs on a weekly basis so that when we get out on the field on Sundays we play fast.’’

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/kris-richard-nfls-youngest-defensive-boss/

4 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Not sure why you think  the DL and LBs aren't included in that.

My point was that the statement infers he was responsible for developing all defensive players where it's mainly been on the defensive line.

Let's not forget that Gus Bradley, Kris Richard, and Pete Carroll should get most of the credit for developing the Seattle D.  When it comes to the d-line then I think Quinn should get a majority of the credit

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

My point was that the statement infers he was responsible for developing all defensive players where it's mainly been on the defensive line.

Let's not forget that Gus Bradley, Kris Richard, and Pete Carroll should get most of the credit for developing the Seattle D.  When it comes to the d-line then I think Quinn should get a majority of the credit

Suit yourself,  there many quotes about Quinn that say he develops talent, supposed to be one of his strong suits.  Not really interested in quibbling about who is responsible for what in Seattle, doesn't change my point any.

6 hours ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

I know for a fact then DL coach Quinn noticed then late round draft pick  Kam Chancellors talent in his rookie camp and told Kams position coach he needed to get Kam more involved. The Seahawks had no idea the talent they draft in Kam but Quinn was first to notice it and he wasn't even his position coach.

19 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I know for a fact Quinn noticed then late round draft pick  Kam Chancellors talent in his rookie camp and told Kams position coach he needed to get Kam more involved. The Seahawks had no idea the talent they draft in Kam but Quinn was first to notice it as DL coach.

was waiting to read someone say Kam Chance...i loved him at VT, couldnt believe he slipped so far in the draft with that size and athleticism at safety. DQ was a major factor in his drafting and playing. He also is a terrific DL technician, find any quotes form DL he's worked with.