Jump to content

More proof Quinn got the guys he wanted....


Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, Falcon918 said:

We drafted 3 guys the we held private workouts with. Anyone notice?

Yes, I noticed & mentioned it several times during the draft & in a few threads since.

We had private workouts at Flowery Branch with:
D. Campbell (drafted in the 4th)
S. Neasman (signed as UDFA)

We had private workout at their schools with:
D. Fuller (drafted in 7th)
A. Hooper (drafted in 3rd)
D. Jones (drafted in 2nd)
S. Neasman (signed as UDFA)
K. Neal (drafted in 1st)
W. Schweitzer (drafted in 6th)

Attended pro days of:
K. Neal
D. Jones
A. Hooper
D. Fuller
D. Campbell

and coaching staff had personal ties to two guys drafted
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, k-train said:

Yes, I noticed & mentioned it several times during the draft & in a few threads since.

We had private workouts at Flowery Branch with:
D. Campbell (drafted in the 4th)
S. Neasman (signed as UDFA)

We had private workout at their schools with:
D. Fuller (drafted in 7th)
A. Hooper (drafted in 3rd)
D. Jones (drafted in 2nd)
S. Neasman (signed as UDFA)
K. Neal (drafted in 1st)
W. Schweitzer (drafted in 6th)

Attended pro days of:
K. Neal
D. Jones
A. Hooper
D. Fuller
D. Campbell

and coaching staff had personal ties to two guys drafted
 

Thanks for posting. My phone wouldn't let me post links....lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quinn himself was heavily involved in scouting a number of these guys. We had multiple interactions with every player we drafted except Schweitzer & his former coach is on staff, so it probably wouldn't have been necessary w/ him. All of these guys are also academically gifted & have considerable upside. The FO & coaching staff definitely had a specific profile in mind for the type of players they were looking for, did their homework & knew exactly who they wanted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Biggest thing to me is, it shows that our draft board is set and does not change. Good player falling? Doesnt matter. We are onthe clock and some player we didnt expect to be available is there? We wont take him.

The private workouts who are then selected meant we werent changing from our draft board. Falcoholic was nailing who we would draft hours before our pick was up on Twitter. Just proves our picks are hard set. We are drarfting guy 1 guy 2 guy 3...etc and it doesnt matter who is available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Biggest thing to me is, it shows that our draft board is set and does not change. Good player falling? Doesnt matter. We are onthe clock and some player we didnt expect to be available is there? We wont take him.

The private workouts who are then selected meant we werent changing from our draft board. Falcoholic was nailing who we would draft hours before our pick was up on Twitter. Just proves our picks are hard set. We are drarfting guy 1 guy 2 guy 3...etc and it doesnt matter who is available.

This isn't necessarily true. TD said when Tunsil started falling they had some intense conversations about him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Biggest thing to me is, it shows that our draft board is set and does not change. Good player falling? Doesnt matter. We are onthe clock and some player we didnt expect to be available is there? We wont take him.

The private workouts who are then selected meant we werent changing from our draft board. Falcoholic was nailing who we would draft hours before our pick was up on Twitter. Just proves our picks are hard set. We are drarfting guy 1 guy 2 guy 3...etc and it doesnt matter who is available.

 

maybe because guys 1 2 & 3 fit the scheme and the others dont?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Biggest thing to me is, it shows that our draft board is set and does not change. Good player falling? Doesnt matter. We are onthe clock and some player we didnt expect to be available is there? We wont take him.

The private workouts who are then selected meant we werent changing from our draft board. Falcoholic was nailing who we would draft hours before our pick was up on Twitter. Just proves our picks are hard set. We are drarfting guy 1 guy 2 guy 3...etc and it doesnt matter who is available.

Not necessarily.  Apparently our staff had a significant discussion regarding Laremy Tunsil while he was dropping.  Clearly he went #13 to the Dolphins so it became a moot point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is the proof

Quote

A: NFL.com grades our draft an A. (Pro Football Focus) grades our draft a D. You really have to wait two or three years to look back on a draft class to see if it was successful or not. The one thing I would say that’s different for me this year: Dan, of all the coaches I’ve worked with, which is more than I would like, is the most specific in terms of exactly the prototype of player he wants for a certain position. To me, he makes Thomas’s job and Scott’s (Pioli) job and everybody’s job in personnel easier because he was real specific about what he wanted. We had some opportunities to go for some more name players, guys who fans were more familiar with. But Dan would say, “Great player. But he’s not going to be the best fit for this system.”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the heads up about Tunsil hashbrown, birdz and 1898fan.

I definitely think the players we took are because of scheme fit AND they are good players. I just find it odd there is no BPA to the current front office at all. Its straight up who they wanted from the start of the draft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, runshoot said:

Thanks for the heads up about Tunsil hashbrown, birdz and 1898fan.

I definitely think the players we took are because of scheme fit AND they are good players. I just find it odd there is no BPA to the current front office at all. Its straight up who they wanted from the start of the draft. 

I don't necessarily think thats a bad thing.....people treat the Need vs BPA debate as a black/white, either/or issue. When I think the truth of the matter is it kind of matters what type of roster you have at the moment. I think BPA makes the most sense when you are a completely talent deficient team or an extremely talent rich team. For instance, a team like Cleveland that has no building blocks, it makes a great deal of sense to just accrue talent. For a talent rich team like GB, or NE, you're probably drafting mostly for depth....so you can afford to go BPA unless you just have a glaring whole that you need to address. 

 

For a team like us.....with some really good talent in some spots, (WR, CB, HB, QB) and glaring holes in others (LB, S, DE), it makes sense to address  needs....if you're a team on the cusp of competing, or so strong in other areas that u just need competence at weak spots to be able to compete, then you're well-advised to address those weak spots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...