This  is my UDFA this year that makes the roster. I haven't liked a small school guys like this since Darin Walls. I think he might slide into the opening Collins left and make him work to get back on the field. Love that he was a walk on with a job and actually has a degree that's actually a difficult path. The guy checks all the boxes for me, how about you?

Article Source: https://fauf.fau.edu/news/?p=10672

Senior safety Sharrod Neasman has been nominated as the most outstanding football player in America who began his career as a “walk-on.” The nomination was announced by the presenting sponsor, the Springdale (Ark). Rotary Club.

“Sharrod is a leader on and off the field,” said Head Football Coach Charlie Partridge. “His determination and perseverance will not allow him to be anything other than successful. Florida Atlantic is fortunate he is with us.”

sharrod-neasman.jpegThe 55 players nominated for the Burlsworth Trophy include team captains, All-Conference selections and national statistical leaders from every conference in the nation. The Trophy is awarded to the most outstanding player who began his career as a “walk-on,” which is defined as a player who began his first season of participation with a DI (FBS) football program without financial aid of any kind from his university’s athletic department. The Trophy is named in honor of former University of Arkansas walk-on and All-American offensive lineman, Brandon Burlsworth. Burlsworth’s life also is the subject of a new major motion picture, “GREATER,” which will be released on January 22, 2016.

Neasman was not presented with an opportunity to play collegiate football following his prep career. He worked for FedEx and at Pacsun to earn the money to attend college. A local high school coach reached out to the FAU coaching staff in an effort to secure a spot on the team for Neasman as a walk-on. Four years later, he is on the cusp of graduating with a mechanical engineering degree, has been a two-year starter after recovering from knee surgery, and serves as one of the Owl captains. Neasman has played in 29 games and recorded 125 tackles to date, including three for a loss of yards. He also has three interceptions.

“In this sixth year of the Burlsworth Trophy, I am again impressed by the quality and commitment of the athletes who have been nominated,” said Marty Burlsworth, CEO and founder of the Burlsworth Foundation, and older brother of Brandon. “These young men represent what the Burlsworth Trophy stands for: character, hard work, dedication to a sport and to their school and above all else, a desire to excel at the highest level.”

Without one DI scholarship offer, Brandon Burlsworth walked on at the University of Arkansas in 1994. He became a three-year starter and eventually was named an All-American in 1998. Burlsworth was selected as the 63rd overall pick by the Indianapolis Colts in the 1999 NFL draft, but was tragically killed in a car accident 11 days later. The Burlsworth Foundation was created in his memory and supports the physical and spiritual needs of children, in particular those children who have limited opportunities.

Springdale Rotary Club will host an awards ceremony on Dec. 7 in Springdale, Ark. to honor the three finalists and to announce the 2015 winner. The 2014 winner was wide receiver Justin Hardy from East Carolina University. Hardy broke the NCAA all-time receiving record with 355 catches.

The Owls will play host to Middle Tennessee at noon on Saturday, Nov. 14. The game will air on ASN and can be heard on ESPN West Palm 106.3 or via www.fausports.com. Tickets can be purchased online or by calling 1-866-FAU-Owls. Neasman will be one of 15 seniors honored in the team’s final home contest of 2015. A total of three games remain in the season.

4.55 40, 25 reps (ridiculous for a db), 37 inch vert, 6.78 3 cone.  Sick proday, crazy tape and hits like a ton of bricks.  Star of our UDFA class for sure  .Wonder why he didn't get drafted?  Maybe because nfldraftscout is reporting his 40 time is 4.68.  His tape shows 4.5 speed though.  Definitely could give Godfrey a run for his money.

Edited by gHost83

Great pickup. One of the guys I predicted and figured he would pick somewhere with a good coach, close to home, new stadium coming, and have a shot at competing for the playoffs (fan perspective). Most of those highlights are from crappy teams but a few are against good ones. Have to appreciate his aggressiveness. What's most impressive is his ability to close with speed on the ball and tackle with great form. Natural innate ability + coaching + plus a little time = possible UDFA gem.

I had Neasman in my mock draft. He is the only player that I know of who had two private workouts with the Falcons. From that mock draft:

I can't find out very much about one of my 7th-round possible picks, Sharrod Neasman. Evidently he has already had two private workouts/visits with the Falcons: one on April 4 and again on April 19:

#FAU DB Sharrod Neasman has worked out for the #Lions and #Falcons, according to a league source.

12:36 PM - 4 Apr 2016

Florida Atlantic safety Sharrod Neasman visits the Atlanta Falcons today; Lions and Dolphins among his several visits and workouts

5:59 AM - 19 Apr 2016

Not much info out there on Neasman, ie no scouting reports. About the closest thing to some information that  I could find on him is the following article:

"Versatile Florida Atlantic safety Sharrod Neasman attending Dolphins’ local workout

Posted April 8, 2016 · Add Comment

Florida Atlantic safety Sharrod Neasman has caught the attention of NFL decision-makers.

Among the executives who attended his Pro Day: Eliot Wolf (Green Bay Packers), Brian Gaine (Houston Texans) and Scott Campbell (Washington Redskins).

Neasman will attend the Miami Dolphins’ local prospect day.

Neasman, at 5-11 1/4, 206 pounds, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.55 seconds. He had a 37 1/2 inch vertical leap and a 10-8 broad jump, very explosive numbers.

He also had a 4.02 short shuttle, a 6.78 three-cone drill and bench pressed 225 pounds 25 times.

He had a top-three three-cone drill and 20-yard shuttle, compared to NFL scouting combine results.

Neasman has the versatility to line up at nickel, corner or safety.

Neasman finished second on the team with 74 tackles and intercepted three passes.

He played in the Tropic Bowl all-star game.

Follow me on Twitter; @AaronWilson_NFL

Aaron Wilson covers the Texans for The Houston Chronicle."

1 hour ago, Falcons23384 said:

Darrin Walls wasn't exactly a "small school guy." He went to Notre Dame

Guess I'm thinking of someone else, we darfted a few good late round DBs over the years but, they always got pushed to the back of the roster and eventually went to other teams. 

11 hours ago, gHost83 said:

4.55 40, 25 reps (ridiculous for a db), 37 inch vert, 6.78 3 cone.  Sick proday, crazy tape and hits like a ton of bricks.  Star of our UDFA class for sure  .Wonder why he didn't get drafted?  Maybe because nfldraftscout is reporting his 40 time is 4.68.  His tape shows 4.5 speed though.  Definitely could give Godfrey a run for his money.

My guess is it's an FAU thing. FAU has been putting players in the NFL in the late rounds for a few years now but many of them (it not all) don't make the transition well so, I believe that's a big piece of where FAU players are being projected/taken. 

I looking at him to take a CB spot as FS/SS seem to have enough competition to provide a strong set of guys for the season.