TD interview with link

I was listening to Brian Finneran this morning and I thought he nailed it. Finn said that he's been hearing different things every year from the Falcons on how they are somehow going to generate sacks without actually investing in a stable of edge rushers. Last year it was about "multiple guys getting 4-5 sacks". Mike Nolan said the same thing a few years back. One time it was "sacks are overrated, we just need to move the QB off his spot". Another time it was "inside pressure matters more". 

At the end of the day, overwhelming amount of data shows that SACKS MATTER. More often than not, successful defenses tend to have above average sack total. Heck, teams like the Broncos from last year and the Giants a couple of times made their name with pass rushing. 

34 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Buck and Kincaid are such hacks.  They went on and on Monday complaining about every aspect of this draft, and they didn't have the balls to challenge TD with any of their dumm *** opinions.

Atlanta sport media is bad.

Edited by FentayeJones

1 hour ago, Sandy5prings said:

I was listening to Brian Finneran this morning and I thought he nailed it. Finn said that he's been hearing different things every year from the Falcons on how they are somehow going to generate sacks without actually investing in a stable of edge rushers. Last year it was about "multiple guys getting 4-5 sacks". Mike Nolan said the same thing a few years back. One time it was "sacks are overrated, we just need to move the QB off his spot". Another time it was "inside pressure matters more". 

At the end of the day, overwhelming amount of data shows that SACKS MATTER. More often than not, successful defenses tend to have above average sack total. Heck, teams like the Broncos from last year and the Giants a couple of times made their name with pass rushing. 

I agree with you 100% and have been saying since 2008 we needed  pass rushers. Im pretty sure we have averaged 28 sacks per regular season since then which would rank in the BOTTOM 5 of the league. It is what it is and all the TD nut huggers defend him for some stupid reason. Its a fact that our defense and pass rush has pretty much sucked since TD got here. They must be in love with his hair. Let me say IF our pass rush does improve its NOT because TD had anything to do with it. It would be DQ SP and the other 13 GMs hired. That's right....it's a d@m fact TD has not provided a pass rush in his era as Falcons gm. Brian Finneran knows exactly what's going on......sacks are overrated, move the QB off his spot, acquire better interior DL, better to have 10 players with 1.5 each than to have one with 15, one with 8, one with 5 and four with 3-5. On top of that AB lets TD fire coaches and FO people because he can't do his d@m job. Just saying....

2 hours ago, falconcrest58 said:

I agree with you 100% and have been saying since 2008 we needed  pass rushers. Im pretty sure we have averaged 28 sacks per regular season since then which would rank in the BOTTOM 5 of the league. It is what it is and all the TD nut huggers defend him for some stupid reason. Its a fact that our defense and pass rush has pretty much sucked since TD got here. They must be in love with his hair. Let me say IF our pass rush does improve its NOT because TD had anything to do with it. It would be DQ SP and the other 13 GMs hired. That's right....it's a d@m fact TD has not provided a pass rush in his era as Falcons gm. Brian Finneran knows exactly what's going on......sacks are overrated, move the QB off his spot, acquire better interior DL, better to have 10 players with 1.5 each than to have one with 15, one with 8, one with 5 and four with 3-5. On top of that AB lets TD fire coaches and FO people because he can't do his d@m job. Just saying....

I said a few years back when all the sacks doesn't matter conversations came up....that I thought they did matter. I played defense and every time I sacked a QB we got ourselves in a better position to take over the game. 

What are we supposed to do draft a DE with every freaking pick? We have some young DL and DE's we need to see if they can produce. You can;t waste all your energy on it when we have already tried to adress the situation directly more than enough.

TD said they made 14 moves this offseason all that will,directly or indirectly influence the pass rush. So many fans think you have to have a 15 sack a season pass rusher to be successful but Quinns scheme does NOT require that so its fallacy to conclude TD has done nothing to improve the pass rush.

We have phones that can access all the information in the world, can video chat with people across the world, can send and receive messages in seconds... and yet it sounds like he's talking on a potato. 

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

TD said they made 14 moves this offseason all that will,directly or indirectly influence the pass rush. So many fans think you have to have a 15 sack a season pass rusher to be successful but Quinns scheme does NOT require that so its fallacy to conclude TD has done nothing to improve the pass rush.

lets try and name the 14...I say...

Shelby, Upshaw, Clayborn, Spoon (indirectly), Wheeler, Neal, Jones, Campbell ...that's 8. Cutting Soliai and giving Jarrett those snaps = more rush. So 9 so far

6 hours ago, mtldirtybird said:

lets try and name the 14...I say...

Shelby, Upshaw, Clayborn, Spoon (indirectly), Wheeler, Neal, Jones, Campbell ...that's 8. Cutting Soliai and giving Jarrett those snaps = more rush. So 9 so far

Add cutting Moore, Durant, Howard and the signings of Van Dyke and Reynolds - thats 14 transactions.

Edited by FentayeJones

14 roster changes, some tweaks but some major, TD makes a good point that there's been a lot of changes that all have an impact on pass rush either directly or indirectly.

i wonder if some of it is changing where we will line some of the guys up along with the new starters etc. 

i do not hold with those bemoaning the fact we didn't sign a 15 sack a year vet or draft Lawson that we have done "nothing" is the term any use, to help our pass rush. 

In fact, most fans ackowledge we are going to get way more sack this season that the 19 we had last season. My best guess based on today's information is 28 sacks, but I would not be surprised if our sack totals were in the 30's somewhere. 

14 hours ago, falconcrest58 said:

The Head Coach's scheme also influences draft selections. In Smitty's final draft TD wanted to add pass rushers during FA and or draft but Smitty and Nolan talked him out of it and we added Solia and Jackson instead. The next year in comes Quinn and we sign a bunch of pass rushers sure we were bargain shopping due to the cap but to say TD has not tried to address the pass rush is not exactly true. Neither Smitty nor Quinn are high on sacks both preached pressure and affecting the QB in an effort to create more turnovers which have a bigger impact on the game than sacks do. Sacks can get an offense off the field or force long down and distance situations but turnovers often changes field position to a greater degree. Sacks are important especially on 2nd and 3rd downs but turnovers no matter what down are game changers.

14 hours ago, falconcrest58 said:

TD is just going for the guys Dan Quinn wants...

Sacks really matter. They ignite a stadium. Incredibly important momentum play. But you can hurry a passer much more often than reaching him. This year we hurry them more and we add serious improvement/length in the seam.  We can't stop the run. So we went there because of who was available. They did a really nice job moving average yards against us back a step. Our sacks will improve with this D. QBs will struggle more this year against us.