Brandt on Neal

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

You are disagreeing about NFL talent evaluation with Gil Brandt who was an NFL talent evaluator for 40 years and has 2 Super Bowl Rings who says these guys are similar. I think a lot of you, but when it comes to NFL talent evaluation - between you and Gil, sorry but you lose that one bud :rolleyes:

He's not talent evaluating, he's doing the same thing he did when he had all of you excited over JA98 being Julius Peppers. He's playing hype man.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Vaccarro would have likely gone in the first in this draft. Draft stock is relative. Kam was thought to be a dinosaur...like RIbs in the first...lol. So most didn't think he would do well. The system did help, so did Thomas. Now he is Kam. He would do good anywhere.

The question isn't who Neal is like. Go watch some tape. It's not that good. Thing is what he does well. He sells out. 

I've seen some tape on Neal. To me he seems like he would do well with the system we are implementing. My only question is if the system is set in place to help a player like Neal grow, or if it's set in place to mask a player's deficiencies.

2 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I like that.

I like that quote too.   Good catch, HEIST.

Pretty hard to dispute that there wasn't much punishment last year for receptions in zone.  That quote from DQ makes it clear how the underneath pass defense will evolve under his direction.

At this point, I'm not worried about Neal...or Trufant.  It's the remaining pass defenders. 

1 hour ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I've seen some tape on Neal. To me he seems like he would do well with the system we are implementing. My only question is if the system is set in place to help a player like Neal grow, or if it's set in place to mask a player's deficiencies.

If all goes well, we won't know

I love our draft....but Gil has been wrong as many times as he's been right. I think Neal and jones could be special but it's too early to call. This is clearly DQ draft and if Shaq Lawson turns out to be a great player and Neal  turns out to be average......DQ and TD both will be riding bikes off in the sunset.

4 minutes ago, falconcrest58 said:

I love our draft....but Gil has been wrong as many times as he's been right. I think Neal and jones could be special but it's too early to call. This is clearly DQ draft and if Shaq Lawson turns out to be a great player and Neal  turns out to be average......DQ and TD both will be riding bikes off in the sunset.

No riding bikes.....

2 hours ago, Knight of God said:

He's not talent evaluating, he's doing the same thing he did when he had all of you excited over JA98 being Julius Peppers. He's playing hype man.

Let me understand. Gil Brandt cherry picked 5 names out the the 2016 draft of players he feels are going to shine, and Neal was one of the 5 out of hundreds, and your argument is Gil is insincerely hyping Neal?

ooooooooooooooookay KOG, I'm going to let you have that one all by yourself :D

3 hours ago, LasVegasFalconsFan said:

Neal is a good player and should make an excellent safety in the NFL. Unfortunately we still don't really have any pass rushers on our D line so it's going to be another year of watching virtually every QB we face sit back and relax and count to 10 Mississippi before feeling any whisper of pressure

You might be right or Vic, Clay, and Shelby might just be better than you think, especially if we can get the QB to hold the ball another half second with better TE and RB coverage.  Not to mention Deion Jones who should see some opportunities to get after the QB.

All in all it's pretty obvious that the coaching staff thinks they can get a pass rush going with the guys we brought in via FA and the draft.  As much as I thought Lawson was the pick I'm completely good with is taking Neal over Lee.  I was especially cool with it once we took Jones in the 2nd, a guy I think will be better than Lee.

4 hours ago, WalkingTheDawg said:

Neal is gonna be a stud and then everyone is gonna act like they were thrilled when the Falcs drafted him. That's the way this thing works. 

I'm really happy they drafted him, think he can make a real difference to this D.

4 hours ago, FentayeJones said:

I have never heard Quinn compare players to any Seattle players - even when directly asked he has never taken the bait.

He doesn't choose players to play the "Kam role, Bennett role, Sherman role" etc. He chooses players based on prototyplcal attributes for the positions of the scheme he runs. I've heard him articulate this countless times.

He knows that's unfair to have him do that, puts unrealistic expectation on the player coming from him. I think that, with all due respect to KOG1, me saying he's going to fill the Chancellor role in this D is a fair statement and, since nobody cares what I think, won't hurt anybody.

1 Which is a lot of respect

8 hours ago, putnam6 said:

I like Brandt I really do but he isn't always right, 2011 scouting report has #11 as a second tier prospect based on athletic ability.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e75a7b/article/on-ability-alone-these-are-top-prospects-of-2011-nfl-draft

Thats why it's good to read varied opinions or at least I like to read them even on the board here I had no idea how good Aaron Donald was till read people banging his drum.  It's just an opinion I don't find a need to try and change anybody's mind on a message board. 

Along with JJ Watt...

5 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I'll say it now I don't like Neal in man coverage from the film I've seen of him he's a zone defender all day.Its an interesting question you pose.What I do see is though he's gonna make people pay when they come across the middle youcan believe that.

15 hours ago, WalkingTheDawg said:

Neal is gonna be a stud and then everyone is gonna act like they were thrilled when the Falcs drafted him. That's the way this thing works. 

I am thrilled and liked the pick from beginning. 

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I am thrilled and liked the pick from beginning. 

Then, WTF are you doing railing about pass rush? The only way to have "fixed" the pass rush this year would have been to take a chance on Lawson's shoulder and draft him at 17. If you are good with Neal, then you're essentially saying that you agree with the Falcon FO that there wasn't a pass rusher at 17 that would have made a difference. Certainly wasn't one at 50.

11 hours ago, falconidae said:

I'm really happy they drafted him, think he can make a real difference to this D.

He knows that's unfair to have him do that, puts unrealistic expectation on the player coming from him. I think that, with all due respect to KOG1, me saying he's going to fill the Chancellor role in this D is a fair statement and, since nobody cares what I think, won't hurt anybody.

1 Which is a lot of respect

Trust me, I get why those comparisons are made and until our defense establishes its own identity that will continue.

It doesn' t just happens in Atlanta either - every since the draft I've been hearing how Karl Joseph and Jalen Ramsey are going to play the "Earl Thomas" role in Oakland and "Sherman" role in Jacksonville because of Norton and Bradley.

Edited by FentayeJones

18 hours ago, gazoo said:

We just had an NFL executive of 40 years with 2 Super Bolw Championships under his belt compare Neal to Cam Chancellor.

now, I would like for the message board GMs to tell me why you can't compare a stud veterans skill set to a rookies. Please tell us al, again how Gil Brandt doesn't know what he is talking about but you do.

i really get tired of those around here who flame others for making these same types of comparisons of skill sets of stud veterans to rookies. Its perfectly reasonable to do this, unless you think you know more about player evaluation than Gil Brandt.

Player comparisons are really lazy - I've done it, you've done it gazoo, we all have done it and these players rarely live up to the hype of the comparisons.

When using something like a stmt. by a website (NFL.com/CBS) or a knowledgeable person (Brandt/Casserly) comparing a drafted rookie to some perennial pro-bowler or Hall of Famer, I just don't see that as some type of formal validation on how to win an argument on a players future.  It is all speculation.  Anybody can compare players - it doesn't make it so.

This is not a post to berate or belittle anyone.  Just what I believe.  I wish we would just like the player (or not) - say why we like the player (or not) and then let's watch'em.

Nobody is winning any argument before a player has played a down in the NFL.  Heck, Hagerman has played two years and Beasley one year and there is no definitive read just yet on either of those players - so how is there one on Neal?

I don't understand why people are griping about drafting neal. we needed a safety we got the best available especially since he would not have been there in the second (2 more safeties were drafted between our 1st and 2nd picks) and the drop off in talent was big after joseph and neal. 

8 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Trust me, I get why those comparisons are made and until our defense establishes its own identity that will continue.

It doesn' t just happens in Atlanta either - every since the draft I've been hearing how Karl Joseph and Jalen Ramsey are going to play the "Earl Thomas" role in Oakland and "Sherman" role in Jacksonville because of Norton and Bradley.

If you go to NFL.com's prospect profiles for all the draft picks, every single one has an NFL comparison. Jared Goff's is Matt Ryan.

Posters complaining about Neal being compared to Chancellor have compared him to someone else instead.

It's just human nature.

Problem is, I'm able to understand that doesn't mean Neal will ever be Chancellor, he's just playing the same position, but others seem to think it's a direct 1-1 correlation between the two.

21 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Then, WTF are you doing railing about pass rush? The only way to have "fixed" the pass rush this year would have been to take a chance on Lawson's shoulder and draft him at 17. If you are good with Neal, then you're essentially saying that you agree with the Falcon FO that there wasn't a pass rusher at 17 that would have made a difference. Certainly wasn't one at 50.

See, you and half of TATF missed that whole thread.  It was more of a historical perspective and "9yrs later" TD still has not fixed passrush.  It was not because I disliked the first pick.  

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

See, you and half of TATF missed that whole thread.  It was more of a historical perspective and "9yrs later" TD still has not fixed passrush.  It was not because I disliked the first pick.  

No, didn't miss it at all, thanks. There were lots of thoughtful responses in that thread about why that was so, and more importantly, how it doesn't matter NOW because this is a much different FO.

You really can't tell the difference between TD/Smith offseasons and TD/Quinn offseasons?

Just now, falconidae said:

No, didn't miss it at all, thanks. There were lots of thoughtful responses in that thread about why that was so, and more importantly, how it doesn't matter NOW because this is a much different FO.

You really can't tell the difference between TD/Smith offseasons and TD/Quinn offseasons?

Not yet....Justin Durant and Brooks Reed felt a lot like Paul Soliai and Tysons Jackson.  Hopefully the free agents will be better this yr.

Neal is an interesting talent. Can go either way, but I don't see anything like Kam. Now, I'm not Brandt, nor do I have his acumen. I would, however, question him on this face to face if I had the ability to do so. It sounds very dangerous to say, considering who Kam is and what he means to the defense. I would argue he is the Justin Houston, or JJ Watt of Strong Safeties. To me, that's a bit out there.

Do I think he could be as good or better? Yes, I think any one of the SS's coming out could be. I just think its irresponsible to say at this time. I keep looking back at tape and highlights...only the "right now" sort and see no similarity in any way, shape, or form. The personalities aren't even similar. Nothing at all. I think Brandt is doing the same thing a lot of people do...he is human. He is just talking. He may be excited about the pick, but at this stage in his life, he seems to have a certain knack for glibness and yes, I think he cherry picked that one to talk about.

Even if Neal is good, great, or better than Kam, his play style isn't the same. Nothing wrong with that. I trust my own eyes before listening to anything said on the radio and TV. Its what I was trained to do.

Maybe if a few pro scouts, still working in the field getting paid, were to say the same before he was drafted...

2 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

If that was the way it works then you would have a point.

So you agree that  Kam is a hard hitting safety. Now, do you agree one of Neal's traits is he is a hard hitting safety?

Hitting hard is a trait both players have. You would not compare Thomas DeCouds hitting to Kam's would you? No, they don't compare.

This IS how it works when Gil Brandt compared Neal to Kam,  Gill sees several comparable traits, several comparable parts of Neals and Kam's skill set. 

Gil did not compare career NFL stats since Neal hasn't played a down in the NFL, he only compared skill sets suggesting they were similar. Not identical, just similar.