Grady Jarrett moving to NT

AndySG

Yep. TJax and Jarrett at the NT in a rotation, with Grady being on the field in passing situations (Grady 60% and TJax 40%). Hageman, Babs, Mbu will rotate at the other position with a sprinkle of Shelby and Clayborn.

I love the way the DL is shaping up...along with the speed at LB and the physical presence...

I think we honestly have 5 solid pass rushers on the edge to rotate: Beasley, Reed, Upshaw, Clayborn, and Shelby....

We've got speed at the MLB and WLB positions now: Jones, Spoon, Wheeler, Campbell, Worrilow

Our secondary has a lockdown CB (Trufant), a solid #2 in Alford, plus a developing CB in Collins....and we have an enforcer and a free safety with range (Neal and Allen).

Lets get em boys!

This doesn't surprise me at all. 

Jarrett will play a totally different role than Soliai did even though they both play the nose. Jarrett can penetrate and I'm very excited about this move, Jarrett fits Quinns defensive scheme much better than Soliai did IMO. Soliai was mostly a stationary lane clogged, Jarrett has some skates and can move laterally and shoot gaps.

Our defense is really changing to much, much faster and more physical. It's going to be exciting to watch.

i know many criticized the Neal pick, but last time we had a safety like him was Scott Case. The fans will fall in love with Neal quickly once they see him slam into and plant Greg Olsen in the turf while forcing a fumble on a short pass. 

6 minutes ago, East_Coast_Falcon said:

Does this mean he's going to bulk up a lot? And they will still expect him to retain his quickness and ability to penetrate? Didn't the previous coaching staff do this type of thing with several players, only to have it fail miserably?

Just a little skeptical I guess.

Brandon Mebane was a 3-Tech who was a good penetrater at around 300 lbs. They beefed him up and worked out well. We will see though.

23 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Jarrett will play a totally different role than Soliai did even though they both play the nose. Jarrett can penetrate and I'm very excited about this move, Jarrett fits Quinns defensive scheme much better than Soliai did IMO. Soliai was mostly a stationary lane clogged, Jarrett has some skates and can move laterally and shoot gaps.

Our defense is really changing to much, much faster and more physical. It's going to be exciting to watch.

i know many criticized the Neal pick, but last time we had a safety like him was Scott Case. The fans will fall in love with Neal quickly once they see him slam into and plant Greg Olsen in the turf while forcing a fumble on a short pass. 

Scott Case is my all-time favorite Falcon.

31 minutes ago, gazoo said:

It might be too early to get too excited about Neal. While he brings a lot to the table, as a rookie he is going to make a lot of mistakes and get crucified around here on a weekly basis. He will be good but not upfront.

43 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

How are we using nose in this system. If it's what I think, it's not a traditional role.

It isn't... But this news lets me know that Quinn is not putting together a traditional defense. This is insane from a traditional perspective.

44 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

How are we using nose in this system. If it's what I think, it's not a traditional role.

It's more like a 4-3 nose than a 3-4 nose, which is odd given the 3-4 type players elsewhere on the line.  He'll be expected, as I understand it, to penetrate, shed and get to the RB or QB.  Mainly a 1-tech, 1-gapper.  He'll be doubled a lot, and he's not the primary pass rusher on the interior (the 3-tech is).  Per FieldGuls, he can be a shorter type player, but he has to be tough, so I'd suspect they drafted him precisely for this role.  

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

It's more like a 4-3 nose than a 3-4 nose, which is odd given the 3-4 type players elsewhere on the line.  He'll be expected, as I understand it, to penetrate, shed and get to the RB or QB.  Mainly a 1-tech, 1-gapper.  He'll be doubled a lot, and he's not the primary pass rusher on the interior (the 3-tech is).  Per FieldGuls, he can be a shorter type player, but he has to be tough, so I'd suspect they drafted him precisely for this role.  

Someone has got to eat up those double teams tho... Will it be Hageman next to him? Crap, I gotta see the starting line to get a good idea of what he's trying to do. Jarrett can penetrate double teams if he gets off the snap but he can't beat them if they catch him **** Aaron Donald can beat double teams like that, Brockers does most of that for him and it leaves Donald one on one most of the time.

Edited by Macintez

4 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Meh. Seems like a natural fit as a gap shooting 3 tech. I assume Quinn is doing something creative here so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. 

I think in most defenses this would be right.  In ours, the 3 tech needs to have some length as I understand it, and he won't be doubled most of the time.  I think the idea here is to get Hageman into a spot where he can penetrate in 1-on-1 match ups and use his power to collapse the interior.

1 minute ago, Macintez said:

Someone has got to eat up those double teams tho... Will it be Hageman next to him? Crap, I gotta see the starting line to get a good idea of what he's trying to do.

No, Jarrett will be the one getting doubled.  They're not expecting him to eat them so much as shed them.

Remember, they bulked Brandon Mebane up and moved him to the NT spot in Seattle.  This is along the same lines.

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

No, Jarrett will be the one getting doubled.  They're not expecting him to eat them so much as shed them.

Remember, they bulked Brandon Mebane up and moved him to the NT spot in Seattle.  This is along the same lines.

Mybad I edited my comment

The idea is for them to pick there poison ... Whom ever is not doubled hageman jarret babs mbu or tjax on the play should be able to put a move on the oline and apply pressure up the middle .... My vote is for jarret and hageman then babs n mbu