Beasley to LB?? Worrilow may have spilled the beans.

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/20417/falcons-linebacker-paul-worrilow-welcomes-his-competition-literally

"We have a whole linebacker group text message that we have going on, so it's not just me at all," Worrilow said. "It's everybody in our linebacker room. That's something we always keep going, whether it's football-related or we're talking about getting together and doing something, just chopping it up. It's Spoon [Sean Weatherspoon], Philip [Wheeler], LaRoy [Reynolds], [Vic] Beasley, Tyler Starr, and myself. After the draft, we added those two dudes. They are part of the group now. So are the undrafted guys coming in."

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We assess roles on defense much like a 3-4.  We have 2 OLBs listed (the LEO, you know, Beasley) and the SAM, and we have 2 ILB's listed (the WILL and the MIKE).

I swear, it's like every day we get this "oh, they're 'moving' Beasley to LB," even though he's been listed as an OLB all along.  They're going to work him at SAM in some packages, and he has always rushed from the left side when the offense was strong left.  This isn't news.

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

We assess roles on defense much like a 3-4.  We have 2 OLBs listed (the LEO, you know, Beasley) and the SAM, and we have 2 ILB's listed (the WILL and the MIKE).

I swear, it's like every day we get this "oh, they're 'moving' Beasley to LB," even though he's been listed as an OLB all along.  They're going to work him at SAM in some packages, and he has always rushed from the left side when the offense was strong left.  This isn't news.

This has been talked about and explained ad nauseam on this board and folks still don't get it. Its like 90 percent of fans don't know what type of defense we are running.

39 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

This has been talked about and explained ad nauseam on this board and folks still don't get it. Its like 90 percent of fans don't know what type of defense we are running.

They don't because we've been a traditional 4-3 so long they don't know the difference between 4-3 and 4-3 under. No matter how much it's explained. But let's be real. Most fans don't know what they're looking at or know X's and O's. They want to see big runs, bombs, td's, sacks, int's, and safeties. They want to be entertained. They don't understand that the LEO is a hybrid LB/DE. They think because he lines up with his hand in the dirt he's a regular DE. That's why the guys saying "he needs to gain weight" will never get it. Quinn wants his LEO's smaller to utilize speed and because the 4-3 under is offset with 3-4 principles they don't see that he's basically a rushing 3-4 OLB. So why would he need to weigh 280? What rushing 3-4 OLB weighs 280? 

11 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

They don't because we've been a traditional 4-3 so long they don't know the difference between 4-3 and 4-3 under. No matter how much it's explained. But let's be real. Most fans don't know what they're looking at or know X's and O's. They want to see big runs, bombs, td's, sacks, int's, and safeties. They want to be entertained. They don't understand that the LEO is a hybrid LB/DE. They think because he lines up with his hand in the dirt he's a regular DE. That's why the guys saying "he needs to gain weight" will never get it. Quinn wants his LEO's smaller to utilize speed and because the 4-3 under is offset with 3-4 principles they don't see that he's basically a rushing 3-4 OLB. So why would he need to weigh 280? What rushing 3-4 OLB weighs 280? 

I have to periodically reeducate myself on the 4-3 under.

4-3_Under_large.png

Screen_Shot_2015-10-09_at_6.41.43_PM.0.p

1 hour ago, mdrake34 said:

I have to periodically reeducate myself on the 4-3 under.

4-3_Under_large.png

Look at the alignment of the 1-tech versus the 3-tech in this photo.  This is why Jarrett to NT makes sense.  The LT can't double the 3-tech because he's giving the LEO (who also can't be doubled from that 9-tech) a free rush or, at best, a 1-on-1 with the RB.  And the C can't effectively double him because he's aligned so far off the LG's left shoulder.  So, the natural guy to double is the 1-tech.  Jarrett is good at penetrating using his power and then shedding.  And this leaves Hage 1-on-1 to wreak havoc from the 3-tech position.  So what we're doing is setting up for Beasley/Hageman/Shelby or Clayborn to rush 1-on-1, with Jarrett hopefully collapsing the double team of the C/RG and shedding blocks to make plays in the run game.  Which is also why we don't need our NT to be a traditional space-eater type who is just holding up blocks so the LBers can flow to the play.  The NT is also asked to claim real estate in the offense's backfield, shed blocks and make plays.  He isn't a typical 1-gap penetrator like the 3-tech, but he is expected to move upfield rather than just occupy blockers.

They align this way on purpose.  It covers every gap and still leaves an effective pass rush (note the SS moving up to the LOS in this photo too, and how close in the LBers play, even though all of them have underneath coverage responsibility along with the SAM).  Hageman needs to step up, and Shelby, Clayborn and Beasley have to win their matchups, but I think people tend to overestimate the value of a big-time edge rusher in this defense.  You need one - the LEO.  After that, you need the other 3 to win their matchups and apply pressure, and you will blitz the SAM, WILL and MIKE on occasion to give them different looks.

6 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Look at the alignment of the 1-tech versus the 3-tech in this photo.  This is why Jarrett to NT makes sense.  The LT can't double the 3-tech because he's giving the LEO (who also can't be doubled from that 9-tech) a free rush or, at best, a 1-on-1 with the RB.  And the C can't effectively double him because he's aligned so far off the LG's left shoulder.  So, the natural guy to double is the 1-tech.  Jarrett is good at penetrating using his power and then shedding.  And this leaves Hage 1-on-1 to wreak havoc from the 3-tech position.  So what we're doing is setting up for Beasley/Hageman/Shelby or Clayborn to rush 1-on-1, with Jarrett hopefully collapsing the double team of the C/RG and shedding blocks to make plays in the run game.  Which is also why we don't need our NT to be a traditional space-eater type who is just holding up blocks so the LBers can flow to the play.  The NT is also asked to claim real estate in the offense's backfield, shed blocks and make plays.  He isn't a typical 1-gap penetrator like the 3-tech, but he is expected to move upfield rather than just occupy blockers.

They align this way on purpose.  It covers every gap and still leaves an effective pass rush (note the SS moving up to the LOS in this photo too, and how close in the LBers play, even though all of them have underneath coverage responsibility along with the SAM).  Hageman needs to step up, and Shelby, Clayborn and Beasley have to win their matchups, but I think people tend to overestimate the value of a big-time edge rusher in this defense.  You need one - the LEO.  After that, you need the other 3 to win their matchups and apply pressure, and you will blitz the SAM, WILL and MIKE on occasion to give them different looks.

So who is the 3 tech? Shelby? 

1 minute ago, HaRdH3ad said:

So who is the 3 tech? Shelby? 

Hageman primarily.  Shelby will play the 5-tech and sometimes LEO would be my best guess, though I could be wrong about that (he might rotate at LEO -- I just don't see that as being his game).  I think they'll probably start Clayborn at 5-tech.