The Falcons are placing a big emphasis on speed over size

atlbaby

The Falcons drafted two linebackers in the draft: LSU's Deion Jones and Minnesota's De'Vondre Campbell. Jones was believed to be a WLB, and Campbell could fit at a few different spots. We received a little clarity on that from the team's digital content producer.

This changes a lot. Instead of being handed the WLB spot, Jones should be putting on a bit of weight and competing with current starter Paul Worrilow. The veteran's salary this season is guaranteed after signing his tender, but it appears as if 2nd-round pick Jones is the heir apparent to the position. Worrilow's tender was likely to protect the team in case they failed to add a replacement, or in case a rookie face plants in camp.

Our resident draft expert Charles MacDonald had this to say about Jones moving to the middle.

There should be a limited competition for the starting spot. Worrilow did well beating out the atrocious Akeem Dent in 2013, but failed to improve after more time in the scheme and adding weight. He has proven that he may be more of a backup player that contributes on special teams than an every down starter. It would be a mild upset if Jones is not starting week one, and a major disappointment if he is still warming the bench halfway through the season.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2016/5/2/11565168/deion-jones-listed-as-the-mike-linebacker-should-compete-with-paul

Edited by atlbaby

somehow I don't think Paul will be all that easy to bump out of his starting role. I'm sure they will split his snaps with one of the young bucks but, I find it hard to believe he will get bumped off the field all together, like some think. 

They are saying Jones at MLB and Campbell at WLB.

I dont think we are giving up size.. Maybe 1 position .. During the offseason we added bigger tougher guys.

Shelby is 6'2 280lbs .. Upshaw is 6'2 272lbs .. Campbell is 6'4 235 (will def get a lil bigger)

Deion Jones is 6'1 222lbs but he doesnt play small

The best thing Quinn could do is put Jones at MLB, but I've yet to hear him say that. Vikings MLB, Eric Kendricks (6002, 6'00" 232) and Seahawks MLB, Bobby Wagner (6002, 6'00 241) are about the same size as Debo (6007, 6'01" 222).

38 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I dont think we are giving up size.. Maybe 1 position .. During the offseason we added bigger tougher guys.

Shelby is 6'2 280lbs .. Upshaw is 6'2 272lbs .. Campbell is 67'4 235 (will def get a lil bigger)

Deion Jones is 6'1 22lbs but he doesnt play small

^^ This. Quinn wants faster and tougher players. We had tough already through the FA acquisitions. Now, we have guys that are as fast as they are tough to join them.

Lol there is no **** way Worrilow beats him out, not only is he str8 garbage but i see no way he will be able to do the things a 4.38 LB can.

worrilow is so bad, so so bad, Mike smith had a lot of people fooled on what talent is. 

10 minutes ago, HaRdH3ad said:

Lol there is no **** way Worrilow beats him out, not only is he str8 garbage but i see no way he will be able to do the things a 4.38 LB can.

worrilow is so bad, so so bad, Mike smith had a lot of people fooled on what talent is. 

Worrilow's only value is in base defense and special teams - and he was suspect in base last season. Jones can play all three downs. He will absolutely beat Worrilow out.

Debo Jones will add 8 to 10lbs. of muscle by Trng. Camp most likely and then add more next year. He is a fast, fast, fast MLB that can cover sideline to sideline, chase down RBs and QBs, stay with TEs on crossing routes, and generally create havoc. He was going to be drafted well before our 3rd rd pick, and likely before the end of the 2nd rd. Same scenario that Neal was never going to fall below late1st Rd.

People ragging on those two picks are just ignorant, or incredibly biased; generally both.

I very much doubt a one year college starter is going to be ready to start at MLB on Day 1.  I think the plan is to sub Jones in on nickel packages and the hope is he shows he's ready to be the starter by year 2.  Especially since he really does need to gain weight.

2 hours ago, atljbo said:

Shelby is 6'2 280lbs .. Upshaw is 6'2 272lbs .. Campbell is 67'4 235 (will def get a lil bigger)

Deion Jones is 6'1 22lbs but he doesnt play small.

i sure hope Campbell being 67 ft tall helps hide the fact that we've got a linebacker out there in Jones who only weighs 22 lbs. :lol: 

1 hour ago, m2Falcons said:

Debo Jones will add 8 to 10lbs. of muscle by Trng. Camp most likely and then add more next year. He is a fast, fast, fast MLB that can cover sideline to sideline, chase down RBs and QBs, stay with TEs on crossing routes, and generally create havoc. He was going to be drafted well before our 3rd rd pick, and likely before the end of the 2nd rd. Same scenario that Neal was never going to fall below late1st Rd.

People ragging on those two picks are just ignorant, or incredibly biased; generally both.

If he is man enough to take down Cam....now that would make a huge impact on how some feel about his size. Me personally....I think he'll do well.

2 hours ago, HaRdH3ad said:

No smith had to deal with what TD gave him......garbage 

7 hours ago, The O.D.B said:

somehow I don't think Paul will be all that easy to bump out of his starting role. I'm sure they will split his snaps with one of the young bucks but, I find it hard to believe he will get bumped off the field all together, like some think. 

I agree 100%. DQ sees this as a group/gang. he just again mentioned PW from a great leadership point of view. I wonder if Q I.D.s 

PW as a Defensive coach some day. Clearly admires him and they are from a place.

Curtis Lofton on Deion Jones

@BFinn86 I was 6 foot 245. Deion jones is taller and faster. I think it was a great pick. Like his game

@BFinn86 to me there is not really much difference between mike and will but coverage responsibilities.#run&hit

7 hours ago, m2Falcons said:

I don't know about ten lbs. of muscles

I mean, there's guys already doing it Deion Jones size already... plus Dled said Jones is already at 230 lbs, ideally he'd probably be around 235, anymore than that and he might lose speed. Campbell could probably add another 10 lbs and be around 240, he looks solid though, if he plays special teams and sees time in coverage I think it'll make him an even better LB next year.