Austin Hooper

Austin Hooper was graded as Matt Waldman's #1 tight end in this year's class. Waldman does a ton of work in the "amateur" scouting community and is revered for his attention to detail and dedication to crunching film and projecting undervalued players. Here are a couple of tweets Waldman put out there about Hooper. I'm going to pick up his Rookie Scouting Portfolio e-book this week. I strongly suggest you guys consider the same. Especially if you're into dynasty/fantasy football. 

1. Austin Hooper is also fluid after the catch. Not a speedster, but fast enough. This is a 10-12 year starter.
  2. Austin Hooper is young, he's a versatile blocker and will acclimate within a year as a blocker, and he can win in the air and take hits.

3. Atlanta killed it with Austin Hooper. They are going to love him.

Encouraged as well...just hope everyone realizes:

1) Learning curve for TE's is amongst the toughest from a transition from college to pros standpoint.

2) He's not going to come in and supplant Tamme right away.  I'll be happy if he slots in as a TE2 right off the bat earning 400-500 snaps his rookie season.

3) 2017 I think is when we'll have a better idea of what we have in Hooper.

His ability to catch the ball with outstretched arms at the highest point while out muscling defenders draped all over him will help us TREMENDOUSLY in the red zone this year.

Jacob Tamme sucks in the red zone and is limited to catching balls in open space between the 20's. Tamme only caught 1 TD last year, 2 the year before and 1 year before that with Peyton Manning throwing him the ball.

After Mack, I was screaming for us to sign a FA TE , but I got my wish with Hooper as while he is developing he'll still help us this year in the red zone. He came from a similar style offense in school don't forget, his learning curve will be lessened for this reason. It's his blocking that will take more time that his receiving. 

6 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Encouraged as well...just hope everyone realizes:

1) Learning curve for TE's is amongst the toughest from a transition from college to pros standpoint.

2) He's not going to come in and supplant Tamme right away.  I'll be happy if he slots in as a TE2 right off the bat earning 400-500 snaps his rookie season.

3) 2017 I think is when we'll have a better idea of what we have in Hooper.

Totally agree though I wonder if his ability to win at the catch point could lead to a situation where he's not a high Rec/Yrds guy but he catches ~5-7 TDs. 

15 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Totally agree though I wonder if his ability to win at the catch point could lead to a situation where he's not a high Rec/Yrds guy but he catches ~5-7 TDs. 

That's exactly what I think will be the case. He's got a lot to learn but while he's learning he can already outmuscle defenders and catch balls at the high point in end zone. Ryan is really good with ball placement when he's not under extreme duress.

4 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

Bout to make my wife mad :lol: already blew my budget on motorcycle stuff now I gotta convince her I need to use $20 for this e-mag, looks like an interesting read

It's very very thorough. Definitely worth $20 if you can spare it. I've bought it the last two years. 

And what makes it really interesting is that he takes the week after the draft to go back through and add about 100 pages of content regarding player fits with the team that ultimately drafted them. 

I want to say the book was like ~500 pages.