Falcons FO screws up again- this draft shows there is virtually no hope for this team returning to the NFC championship under Matt Ryan

9 hours ago, Falcan Moore said:

DL pass rushing talent was laughably bad this year, both in the draft and FA. Also, our LBs improved tremendously. 

Genuinely none of your post makes sense to me.

No Sha Lawson, Noah spence, Kevin Dodd, Emmanuel Ogbah, Robert nkemdiche was available. OP is right we've had a franchise QB and WR for yrs now and nothing absolutely NOTHING to go with them because we have a worthless piece of crap GM f g everything up

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, falconcrest58 said:

No Sha Lawson, Noah spence, Kevin Dodd, Emmanuel Ogbah, Robert nkemdiche was available. OP is right we've had a franchise QB and WR for yrs now and nothing absolutely NOTHING to go with them because we have a worthless piece of crap GM f g everything up

Lawson isn't better than Shelby. Dodd and Ogbah are bad. Nkemdiche would do poorly in Atlanta, he's a headcase and has bad history here. Spence doesn't do anything better than Beasley and would play the same position. And character concerns. 

This. Class. Was. Bad.

9 hours ago, LasVegasFalconsFan said:

This draft shows there is virtually no hope for this team returning to the NFC championship under Matt Ryan---everything lined up perfectly for the Falcons prior to their 1st couple of picks and they Blew it..... 

The Falcons Front Office again blows incredible opportunities to pick great DLine pass rushing talent and linebacker talent land instead they reached and overpaid for talent they could have traded down to get -- what is is with their preference to take "developmental" talent with speed when their are clearly much more NFL ready players they could have taken that have much better football instincts along with proven physical attributes 

why does the Falcons FO keep making the same F'ing mistakes over and over again no matter who the Head Coach or collective GM's are. They over pay for FA's, they incredibly reach on draft picks when more proven talent is available and they just keep shooting themselves in the foot year after year 

7 is my favorite number. Your 70th post was a fail.. I tell ya what.. get back with me after our first 5 games this season , and lets see if you think if TD and the FO failed in there off season moves with the FA pick ups , and the Draft.. you need to go look at the Free agents we got this off season. And check out the player we got in this draft, then watch the first 2 games/ Then lets see what you have to say about all the moves TD made. 

1 hour ago, atlGM said:

Of course he could have bpa on their board and time will tell if that's an accurate assessment. But I'll bet anything barring injury he or jones won't be better than Lawson, Ragland,spence or cravens. 

Of course it's my opinion but that's pretty much why this forum exits and truth be told TD's track record dosen't hold a ton weight against the educated fans opinion.

Well, it's just not that simple. 

The reverse also holds true. I'm not going to think that we're awesome for passing on Lawson if he isn't great, b/c part of why I wanted him, was that I thought that he could be good in our scheme. 

If he fails in another scheme, it won't show that he would have been a bad pick, anymore than if he succeeds it shows that he would have been a good pick. 

Quinn made the pick that he thought was best for our board and our scheme.

Of course, naturally, I also recognize that there are rare players that will be dominant in any scheme, but I don't think that this draft contained more than maybe 5 of those, and 2 of them had serious medical issues.

People get confused on BPA and projections. Consider if Neal was the best player available for our scheme but he had a 2nd round grade, does that mean that nobody picking 32 through 49 is going to grab him before our pick at 50? Certainly not. If the main goal of the draft was to get the best strong safety for our scheme, we either got him when we knew we could get him or take a chance that he'll be available later.

For sake of arbitrary "value", we should have taken a player we didn't want (Lawson or Lee) because they had first round grades, even if that meant that we might settle for a safety with a third round (or lower) grade later in the draft. And if we didn't get a quality strong safety, it probably wouldn't have helped to get Lawson or Lee because we'd have the same problem we had before. Never EVER take somebody because he's listed as "best available" on anybody's draft board but your own and never EVER miss out on what you want because somebody else thinks you're "reaching" to get him.

2 hours ago, atlGM said:

Of course he could have bpa on their board and time will tell if that's an accurate assessment. But I'll bet anything barring injury he or jones won't be better than Lawson, Ragland,spence or cravens. 

Of course it's my opinion but that's pretty much why this forum exits and truth be told TD's track record dosen't hold a ton weight against the educated fans opinion.

This.

Anybody who already condemns this year's draft either can see the future or is narrow-minded.

The draft is no different than the stock market - Apple may have looked like the great buy a year ago but is now terrible.  You have hunches that a player will be good but you will not know until 1-2 years from now (who guessed Freeman would be an all-pro pick?).

11 hours ago, LasVegasFalconsFan said:

This draft shows there is virtually no hope for this team returning to the NFC championship under Matt Ryan---everything lined up perfectly for the Falcons prior to their 1st couple of picks and they Blew it..... 

The Falcons Front Office again blows incredible opportunities to pick great DLine pass rushing talent and linebacker talent land instead they reached and overpaid for talent they could have traded down to get -- what is is with their preference to take "developmental" talent with speed when their are clearly much more NFL ready players they could have taken that have much better football instincts along with proven physical attributes 

why does the Falcons FO keep making the same F'ing mistakes over and over again no matter who the Head Coach or collective GM's are. They over pay for FA's, they incredibly reach on draft picks when more proven talent is available and they just keep shooting themselves in the foot year after year 

I will be the first one to say they over drafted Neal but realistically tell me which players were there? They got good value in the 2nd and 3rd while being able to trade back in the 2nd and still get the guy they wanted. Granted TD has not shown much in working the draft but what he did in the 2nd round was taking ownership. We got a guy in the 3rd round that should help in the red zone and could be a really good TE for a few years. You could argue that we reached a bit for Campbell but he was still a good value in the 4th with some upside if you can develop him. Everywhere he goes he always seems to get better and exceed expectations. There is no reason to think that changes now. We got a guy our staff was familiar with and trust in the 6th, and possible a replacement for Hester in the 7th. While not the best draft it certainly was not bad.

This class was seriously devoid of any real edge rushers after Floyd was gone. There may have been better value on the board when we took Neal but it certainly was not a pass rusher.

12 hours ago, LasVegasFalconsFan said:

This post has made the entire forum of posters that much stupider and we are all losing brain cells by the second SMH.

What DEs were avaiable that would have upgraded our guys? We got a great Safety, 2 good LBers that, a great TE, a guard, and a WR that looks promising. This draft was well rounded and hit the mark on what this team needed. We Had a passrush bruh. It was there it cause the most check downs in the NFL which we got ate up with because our LBers don't now how to cover or they were too slow. We upgraded the DE position in FA. Take a chill pill. This was the best draft in years by the FO. They went out and got faster and tougher. These guys are know for the speed and hard hitting play. Wouldn't mind seeing Neal crushing Brees on a Delayed safety Blitz just to see Beasely do the same the next play..

Edited by Aries2887

I will reserve my judgement of the draft for a couple years.  Certainly, I was shocked they did not pick a pass rusher as were many other people.  However, Quinn had logical arguments for why he went the way he did in his picks (notice I do not mention TD the lackey who just gets paid to say yes to Quinn apparently).

However, once again I do agree with the OP that a heavy emphasis is placed on developmental players much like Collins last year.  I hope they pan out because Matt Ryan, the franchise QB I hoped we would have for DECADES is getting old very fast.  I see Quinn as the last hope to finally build a team around a QB who certainly possesses enough talent and tools to win if surrounded by enough talent.  Unfortunately, since 2008 TD and company have bungled that job horribly by failing to field even mediocre O-lines and defense around him.

If the pass rush is not immediately better this year, I will be the very first to boo Quinn.  I sincerely hope I am cheering him instead.  Let us not forget that Quinn did not build that defense in Seattle.  Therefore, this whole strategy of "Quinn get the final say" is very suspect in my mind until we see it work here in Atlanta.  Right now he seems to be simply trying to find guys that mirror what he had in Seattle, which is fine if he can actually do that.

Ryan is getting old, and so am I.  When I moved here in 1980, and the Falcons almost beat the Cowboys, I thought we would become a proverbial winner.  Now time is running out on me, and I realize there is no guarantee that the Falcons will ever "get it right,"

BTW, Blank ain't getting any younger either.  I am betting when he bought the team, he had no clue that winning in the NFL was going to be  a lot harder than becoming a billionaire. 

We had a decent draft--but it could have been so much better--we were very lucky the way the 1st three rounds dropped ahead of our picks --especially rounds 1 and 2 

The frustrating thing is that it looks like again we will have minimal or no pass rush from our D-Line again..................!

and I dont know about you but this no pass rush thing is getting really old espacially when we have have ample opportunities in the draft and FA to significantly upgrade to create a much better rush --both on the outside and the interior --being at the dome---espcially on 3rd downs and seeing the opposing QB constantly have forever to sit back and pick us apart with no pressure in his face is just incredibly frustrating to watch---

when was the last time we have great DE's on each side of the line as well as an intertior rush?

Edited by JG2008

On 5/3/2016 at 9:02 PM, falconcrest58 said:

crying-babies-need-be-handled-mentally-h

On 5/2/2016 at 11:54 AM, LasVegasFalconsFan said:

Dan Quinn's making the player decisions around here now I see.................. TD is that you???????????????? :lol::munch: