I understand the Keanu Neal pick at #17

In free agency, the Falcons brought in Derrick Shelby on the DLine, and Weatherspoon back at LB, Upshaw as DE/LB

After telling Biermann, Durant, and Schofield to kick rocks.............

They Willy Mo to scram and had not added anything to the secondary.  So they wanted and felt like they had to add a starter there first and foremost.

(Not saying I agree, but I understand).

After that, my only real beef with who they took was not grabbing McGovern or Westerman for the Oline in the spot they took LB Campbell from Minnesota.

McGovern/Westerman would have competed and probably earn a starting spot at G for this time, where Campbell is a backup/special teams player at best next year.

So, that being said.......here's who I think the starting defense (4-3) will feature

D-Line   -   Clayborn, Hageman, Jarrett (Babs in rotation) and Shelby

LB's     -     Beasley, Weatherspoon, Jones

Secondary  -   Tru, Alford, Allen, Neal.

**in Nickel......out comes Clayborn and Hageman, Shelby kicks inside.....Beasley goes to DE and in come the 3rd cb**

Edited by Big Reg Da Commish

IDK if the Falcons have ever taken a Safety in the first. Its one of my favorite positions on Def. They seem to have a much higher rate of success in the first than other positions especially in the range we drafted. I think Neal will be very good maybe right off the bat.

They had reasons they didn't want to take Westerman or McGovern.  We don't know what they are but they had their reasons.  Maybe they saw something on film that doesn't translate well to the offense?  Not saying they are right necessarily but unless we have that info it's impossible for us to say whether or not they should have gone another way...

Dan Quinn has said that strong safety is one of the three most important positions on his defense (Will and Leo being the other two).  Since we have nobody on the team with the skill set DQ wants to see in a strong safety (Cam Chancellor being the model) it's no surprise DQ took Keanu Neal with his first pick.

While Neal may have only been rated as a 2nd round pick when compared against a generic strong safety standard if he has the specific abilities and traits DQ needs to see at that position then the pick makes sense FOR THIS DEFENSE.

Edited by brewman

Don't forget Upshaw.

More 3-4 looks on passing downs with Clayborne/Hageman or Shelby/Babs or Shelby.

then LB's

Upshaw/Jones/Campbell/Beasley

A lot of options. A lot of looks. Pass rush by committee with better ability to cover underneath and defend the option.

1 hour ago, capologist said:

They had reasons they didn't want to take Westerman or McGovern.  We don't know what they are but they had their reasons.  Maybe they saw something on film that doesn't translate well to the offense?  Not saying they are right necessarily but unless we have that info it's impossible for us to say whether or not they should have gone another way...

i think it was less why not them but MORE on why they took Campbell. i think they were ready to go OG but he was sitting there. I dont know if people realize this or not but he is actually good enough to push for starting LB time. he is a better all around LB talent than some of the guys we have brought in recent years.

I like Neal a lot, but truth is that he was a big reach at #17. Granted the Jets and Steelers were considering reaching for him, which scared the FO into taking him. 

I had him going early 2nd round. But TD always picks for needs not BPA. 

One year when TD says he "nailed it in free agency" I hope that means we addressed all our needs and can just pick BPA in the draft. I'm hoping, but maybe that will never come into fruition under TD.

42 minutes ago, The Rock said:

I like Neal a lot, but truth is that he was a big reach at #17. Granted the Jets and Steelers were considering reaching for him, which scared the FO into taking him. 

I had him going early 2nd round. But TD always picks for needs not BPA. 

One year when TD says he "nailed it in free agency" I hope that means we addressed all our needs and can just pick BPA in the draft. I'm hoping, but maybe that will never come into fruition under TD.

do you have the falcons draft board?

5 hours ago, birdz4i said:

do you have the falcons draft board?

Let's say I know someone, who knows someone. I projected the Falcons would go safety in the first, LB in the 2nd, TE in the 4th, DE/OLB in the 3rd, and WR in the 7th. I was nearly spot on with the exception of the 3rd and 4th picks being switched. 

I was also correct that K.Joseph would go in the teens, D.Jones in the 50s, and Y. Ngakoue in the 3rd.