Falcons Sack Predictions 2016- Time to quit whining and go on record

gazoo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

I understand sacks are over rated. Just win.

Defense wasn't as bad as everyone makes them out to be last year, the thing is because of the failures of the Center causing all of the Falcons offensive problems last season, it left the defense little to no time to rest. JMO...... As for sacks, that's not what is important, it's STOPS by the defense that matters the most.

7 hours ago, gazoo said:

In 2015 the Falcons recorded a pathetic 19 sacks. The flip side of this stat is we also recorded 119 QB hurries which was near the top of the NFL in hurries. Many are complaining we did nothing to help our pass rush. Yet, we were at bottom of NFL in quick passes given up to RBs and TEs. We addressed this by bringing in players who can cover TEs and RBs. Many of the new LBs we have can rush the passer. We also signed some new veterans who can get to the QB and get back a healthy Brooks Reed who had 3 sacks and 10 QB hits in 2014 prior to the nasty groin injury he had that hampered him last year.

I suggest we did a lot this offseason to help increase sack totals, to convert many of those hurries into sacks and actually improve the  pass rush as a whole. In Quinns scheme, he relies on the pass rush coming from many places including his linebackers, he doesn't relay on one guy getting double digit sacks.

Here are the sack totals of the #1 rated scoring defenses over the last 3 seasons:

2012: Chiefs had 27 sacks

2013: Jags had 31 sacks

2015: 49ers had 28 sacks

My prediction for the Falcons is we will increase from 19 sacks last year to 28 sacks in 2016. That means I'm predicting we get same amount of sacks 2 out of the last 3 top rated defenses got.  If we can get at or near 28 sacks we have a chance to be an awesome defense this season. 

If you disagree and are screaming from the rooftops my assessment is incorrect becuase we did not fix our pass rush, THEN GO ON RECORD AND TELL US ALL HOW MANY SACKS YOU PREDICT THE 2016 FALCON DEFENSE WILL GET.  

GO ON RECORD OR STOP BIOTCHING!!!!!!

Seattle had the #1 scoring defense the last 3 years and had 44, 37, and 37 sacks those years respectively.

Last year the top 5 teams in scoring defenses averaged 44 sacks, with the lowest being 37 and all others over 40 sacks.

Your numbers are very off base, not sure how you convinced yourself the Jags and 9ers had top scoring defenses.

That said, I think the high 20s are doable if the underneath routes are covered better as projected. Go out on a limb with 29.

Edited by IA Falcon07

22 minutes ago, IA Falcon07 said:

Seattle had the #1 scoring defense the last 3 years and had 44, 37, and 37 sacks those years respectively.

Last year the top 5 teams in scoring defenses averaged 44 sacks, with the lowest being 37 and all others over 40 sacks.

Your numbers are very off base, not sure how you convinced yourself the Jags and 9ers had top scoring defenses.

That said, I think the high 20s are doable if the underneath routes are covered better as projected. Go out on a limb with 29.

I pulled up some team  stats on NFL.com and sorted through what I thought was scoring defense as it relates to sacks, I wonder if I accidentally pulled points scored by defenses? I'm not sure how I screwed that up so bad but I'm with you on that.

My prediction based on today's information is 28, I do think that's very realistic but if we got up in mid 30s I wouldn't be too surpised. 

Last time I checked the only stat that matters from a defensive standpoint is the amount of points allowed.  I'm aware that sacks affect that tremendously but what I gather from what the Brass at Flowery Branch is telling us is more pressure on the QB from a "pass rusher" is not necessarily their goal.  That may prove to be a flawed philosophy but at this point I choose to believe they have watched every single play from last season on tape and tracked what they failed to do effectively and they came to the conclusion that they had bigger problems than the lack of a pass rush.