Austen Hooper- Part of Solution to Red Zone Issues

gazoo

I am really stoked about Hoopers potential in our offense. If you watch his highlight film you'll see he attacks the ball when it's in the air and catches it at the highest point with his hands, even with defenders draped all over him. He's 6'4" with long arms (33.75") and has enormous, powerful yet soft hands at 10.58".  He also is strong as an ox for a TE with 19 reps on the bench press and it really shows in his highlight film as he drags several defenders yards after contact, even into the end zone. He's a beast man, he also runds really good tproutes and wowed the scouts at his combine.

One of the big problems we had last year is as good as Tammie is in open field, Tammie's skill set limits him as  a red zone TE, he does not leap well, does not attack the ball or beat defenders on him, in face he only scored 1 TD last year. Hooper will be very dangerous in the red zone with his skill set and he had 6 TDs last year. Hooped played in an offense similar to what Shanny runs so the learning curve will be much less for him to get quality snaps this year. His big powerful hands and overall strength also makes him a good blocker, so when he's in the game in red zone defenses I'll struggle getting the right personnel on the field not knowing what we will be doing.  We stole him to get him middle of 3rd round.

This is the first TE we've had since Crumpler that has the skill set to get downfield and split the seam against defenses. Let's all hope he develops these skills and becomes the kind of player we hope he can be.

http://www.ruleoftree.com/2016/2/27/11127052/austin-hooper-shines-in-nfl-combine

After the drills of the combine came to a close Saturday, it is widely agreed upon that Austin Hooper is the best looking prospect coming out of Stanford.

Hooper really impressed in his route running, catching ability, and field awareness during the variety of drills he participated in. He shocked scouts when he was able to record a total of 19 reps on the bench press, as he was never considered to be one of the more physically dominant TE's in the NCAA.

His forty yard dash time of 4.72 was nothing special, but as Carolina Panthers TE Greg Olson points out, a crisp route overshadows any lack of speed at that particular position. Mike Mayock currently has Hooper as the 2nd best TE in the draft. He could stand to improve his run blocking, an area where he is average at best. Fortunately for him, this is an ability that coaches can help him improve on. The intangibles all seem to be there for Hooper.

4 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

The bigger issue are the turnovers. Ryan has to make better decisions with the ball. He does that and Hooper will get a chance to get some TDs in the redzone

Better decisions equal better blocking by the interior OL? Seems so.

5 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Not only in the red zone either....looks like a legit TE ALL over the field.

No doubt he looks like the real deal, we do need to give him a year or more to put it all together but I think he'll be able to help us a lot this year in the red zone.

This has been mentioned a million times I'm sure, but getting Mack on board should in itself be a major factor in cutting down on Matt Ryan's miscues.

Last year he had to regularly pull bad snaps from shotgun out of the air, because a live ball was about to about to go whizzing past his head. He also had more moments then he or we'd like where he was juggling it around like a hot potato thanks to a bad snap from under center.

The fractions of a second (to entire seconds) he had to use to get the ball under control were extremely costly.

It meant that instead of throwing the ball at the precise moment he needed to as a route developed, he ended up having to force a lot of throws to try to get it there in time, and also  got too many there late. That pressing & feeling pressure to get the ball off after a bad snap leads directly to bad decision making.

In addition to having more consistent snaps, having WRs & TEs who understand & know the routes better will be a huge factor as well. Knowing how to get separation & run clean routes is absolutely key to a timing based passing game.

We've made some moves to clean those issues up & it seems from the level of participation in the passing camp a few weeks ago, the players are aware & working hard to fix what they can. We could & should be nearly unstoppable w/ the passing game this year.

6 hours ago, Jesus said:

Ryan will have the time to make better decisions and without Roddy running crap routes and always covered, Matt will shine this year.

6 hours ago, gazoo said:

No doubt he looks like the real deal, we do need to give him a year or more to put it all together but I think he'll be able to help us a lot this year in the red zone.

110% agree. I gotta spot myself 10% because of ...................drum roll.......................Shanahan!!!!

9 hours ago, Jesus said:

Ryan will have the time to make better decisions and without Roddy running crap routes and always covered, Matt will shine this year.

I guess Julio Jones was running crap routes too, because he wasn't targeted much in the red zone. 

35 minutes ago, insight said:

Not holding my breath, we couldn't effectively use Levine Toilolo in the red zone!

So your position is Toilolo and Hooper have exactly the same skill set simply because they are both TEs leading you to conclude zero difference between the two as it relates to a red zone threat. Wow, that's a rather elementary understanding of the TE position.

9 hours ago, k-train said:

This has been mentioned a million times I'm sure, but getting Mack on board should in itself be a major factor in cutting down on Matt Ryan's miscues.

Last year he had to regularly pull bad snaps from shotgun out of the air, because a live ball was about to about to go whizzing past his head. He also had more moments then he or we'd like where he was juggling it around like a hot potato thanks to a bad snap from under center.

The fractions of a second (to entire seconds) he had to use to get the ball under control were extremely costly.

It meant that instead of throwing the ball at the precise moment he needed to as a route developed, he ended up having to force a lot of throws to try to get it there in time, and also  got too many there late. That pressing & feeling pressure to get the ball off after a bad snap leads directly to bad decision making.

In addition to having more consistent snaps, having WRs & TEs who understand & know the routes better will be a huge factor as well. Knowing how to get separation & run clean routes is absolutely key to a timing based passing game.

We've made some moves to clean those issues up & it seems from the level of participation in the passing camp a few weeks ago, the players are aware & working hard to fix what they can. We could & should be nearly unstoppable w/ the passing game this year.

Agreed, we will be a completely different team in the red zone this year and even bringing in Mack will be part of the reason, but Hooper's skill set that includes both good blocking and catching at the high point with his hands is really going to help us. Again, Tammie simply is not a red zone guy and has never been a TD machine, he's more open field catch ball on the run between the 20's type receiver. Hooper will jump up and box defenders out and catch ball at high point AND can help us in running game on goalline. 

We really haven't had a TE with a skill set similar to Hoopers since Crumpler. Crump was a beast at splitting the seam, Hooper should be at some point down the road as well.

15 minutes ago, gazoo said:

So your position is Toilolo and Hooper have exactly the same skill set simply because they are both TEs leading you to conclude zero difference between the two as it relates to a red zone threat. Wow, that's a rather elementary understanding of the TE position.

Hmm... this sounds very similar to the issue Toilolo had but cover your eyes if you insist. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/austin-hooper?id=2555415

Hands need work. Was late getting hands catch­ ready and had nine drops over two seasons for drop rate of almost 11 percent. Catch radius just average for his size.

Kid-covering-eyes-300x267-1658x05.jpg

Edited by insight

12 minutes ago, insight said:

Hmm... this sounds very similar to the issue Toilolo had but cover your eyes if you insist. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/austin-hooper?id=2555415

Hands need work. Was late getting hands catch­ ready and had nine drops over two seasons for drop rate of almost 11 percent. Catch radius just average for his size.

Kid-covering-eyes-300x267-1658x05.jpg

You are one clueless dude comparing Hoopers skill set to Toilolo's man, they are two very different types of TEs.

Roddy dropped a ton of balls his first two seasons, I guess him and Tolilo same to you.  

I think he makes a fair point.  We have Andre the giant that can just stand in the middle and catch balls with his mouth but we couldn't figure out how to utilize him in the red zone,  what difference will this make

Red zone improvement will depend on Ryan's ability to locate open targets..not even just quickly,  but in general.  His peripheral vision just goes away in the red zone,  hopefully another year in this system and he'll be able to fix that. 

2 minutes ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

I think he makes a fair point.  We have Andre the giant that can just stand in the middle and catch balls with his mouth but we couldn't figure out how to utilize him in the red zone,  what difference will this make

Red zone improvement will depend on Ryan's ability to locate open targets..not even just quickly,  but in general.  His peripheral vision just goes away in the red zone,  hopefully another year in this system and he'll be able to fix that. 

Toilolo struggled catching the ball anywhere 

Just now, YoungHeezy said:

Toilolo struggled catching the ball anywhere 

To be honest,  I can't remember a single pass to toilolo last year.  I remember the year before, he couldn't catch a cold.  I'm certainly not defending him, just making the point that it doesn't matter who's out there in the red zone if Ryan can't find them

41 minutes ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

To be honest,  I can't remember a single pass to toilolo last year.  I remember the year before, he couldn't catch a cold.  I'm certainly not defending him, just making the point that it doesn't matter who's out there in the red zone if Ryan can't find them

Naturally, given Ryans history of never being able to find receivers in the end zone. I don't think he ever threw a TD pass to Tony G did he? Couldn't find his TE was the problem.

In other words, your suggestion that Ryan can't find receivers in the end zone is ridiculous when looking at his career production.

Peyton Manning couldn't seem to find Jacob Tamme in the end zone either (3 TDs in his last two seasons) , I suppose you think Peyton Manning just couldn't find Tamme either. Tammes career has been ruined by playing with QBs like Manning and Ryan who just can't seem to find him standing there in the end zone all alone jumping up and down waving his hands!!!

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

It is possible that Toilolo isnt very good. I know a lot of people around here expect the players to perform like they see them do in their heads. 6'8 he should be unstoppable. Meanwhile Freeman a whole foot shorter had 14 TDs.

18 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Naturally, given Ryans history of never being able to find receivers in the end zone. I don't think he ever threw a TD pass to Tony G did he? Couldn't find his TE was the problem.

In other words, your suggestion that Ryan can't find receivers in the end zone is ridiculous when looking at his career production.

Peyton Manning couldn't seem to find Jacob Tamme in the end zone either (3 TDs in his last two seasons the) , I suppose you think Peyton Manning just couldn't find him.

no, im talking about a reoccurring issue from last year where hed fire it into the middle of a swarm of players without noticing there was someone wide open, mainly on the left side iirc. there was one instance when, dimarco i think was all alone but ryan tried to run it in himself but every in the stadium started screaming at him to throw it, it was crazy. i think it mainly has something to do with being in a new system. hopefully he will be more comfortable and familiar with where his receivers will be.   

2 minutes ago, Jesus said:

It is possible that Toilolo isnt very good. I know a lot of people around here expect the players to perform like they see them do in their heads. 6'8 he should be unstoppable. Meanwhile Freeman a whole foot shorter had 14 TDs.

You are correct. This thread is about Hoopers skill set being good for the end zone, a skill set  totally different than Toilolo's or Tammes and many here just think becuase then are all TEs that the problem is Matt Ryan and Hooper won't make any difference. Remarkable how some don't have a basic understanding of the TE position and how many TEs are radically different from others. 

11 hours ago, k-train said:

Yes! 

I also bring up this point when folks are freaking out about not drafting a Guard or picking up a good one in FA. I look around the league and I don't see an offensive line with 5 pro-bowlers (Dallas is close but when have they won the SB with those guys?). Every team has some average or even below average linemen. We have a stud at each T spot, one of the best C in the league if not THE best, and then we have Chester, Person, Levitre, and Schwietzer (sp) who can all compete for those two G spots. Either way, having Person away from the decision-making and ball-snapping spot on the O-Line will improve the play of Levitre and Chester. Having 3 out of 5 above average players on the O-line will help improve the play of the average or less than average guy. We will be fine unless injuries strike but what team can't say that? 

As far as TE goes, I think we have a couple of really good pass-catching TE now and we know that Shanny likes his two TE sets. Now this gets Toilolo and his hands of rocks off the field. Drafting Hooper will probably mean less snaps for Hardy though.

16 minutes ago, EVIL Dan Quinn said:

no, im talking about a reoccurring issue from last year where hed fire it into the middle of a swarm of players without noticing there was someone wide open, mainly on the left side iirc. there was one instance when, dimarco i think was all alone but ryan tried to run it in himself but every in the stadium started screaming at him to throw it, it was crazy. i think it mainly has something to do with being in a new system. hopefully he will be more comfortable and familiar with where his receivers will be.   

Well, we see Tom Brady and all the good QBs miss wide open receivers in the end zone all the time. Last year was a total abortion that went much, much, much deeper than some failing of Matt Ryan.  If we see similar trends from last year again this year the problem is Shanahan's scheme and not the players.

This thread is about the skill set Hooper brings and it seems many don't have any understanding of the differences of Hoopers skill set  vs Tolilos or Tammes. These are 3 totally different players all playing TE.

Ryan has already proven to us if he has a capable red zone TE he will find him in the end zone. How could anyone doubt this fact after watching it happen for years here?