Something interesting I took from the press conference yesterday...

gHost83

When Quinn was asked about how we plan to address the pass rush, he said something that caught my ear.   When answering, he replied with Beasley's growth,  the addition of Shelby, Clayborn playing exclusively at DE and Reed...  Reed is what I thought was interesting.  I wonder if he plans to use Reed in more of a LEO capacity than last year. 

With the departure of Beirmann (thank goodness), does that open up an opportunity for Reed to rush the passer and give Beasley a breather from time to time?  Reed was awful as an SLB and often looked lost on the field (can recall the play when he was completely fooled on a bubble screen at the 10 yardline for a td SMDH, among many).  Does Quinn think his best ability is to rush the passer? 

He did come into the league as a DE then was moved to OLB in a 3-4 with the Texans.  He was highly productive in college as a pass rusher and tested well as a pass rusher.  The knock on him was his size... 

The LEO position doesn't require you to have tremendous size, but the ability to rush the passer.  Do you guys think this transition will be able to revive his career here or will he continue to suck?

5 minutes ago, Crazy Trav said:

I think he can fill the Leo position on some rushing downs and Beasley on passing. Or fill in at DE from time to time in pass rush packages.

This is what I'm thinking.  The guy had ability and I was excited when we landed him last year.   He definitely disappointed last year, but Quinn said he wants to play players to their strengths .  Pass rushing was a strength of his...

Edited by gHost83

"We added Shelby, we're moving Clayborn out to D-end, we're hoping Reed comes alive," Quinn said. "(Reed) was big-time injured last year (groin surgery). We know he's got pass rush to him. And we'll develop some of the guys to come through."

"It's not just go out (and get a rusher). There's also the guys that are here in the building. We'll get them better, too. You can count on that."

These are his exact words...

Edited by FentayeJones

Along with this, I do think we resign Scho.  Hopefully a healthy Beasley and Reed with the addition of Shelby and maybe resigning Scho will give our pass rrush more punch.  We added much needed speed at the LB position to help with intermediate coverage and dumpoff routes.  Having that extra half a second may turn those pressures into sacks. 

2 minutes ago, Phrootdawg said:

Nope

Phrooty-tooty, read bolded red:

6 minutes ago, gHost83 said:

Along with this, I do think we resign Scho.  Hopefully a healthy Beasley and Reed with the addition of Shelby and maybe resigning Scho will give our pass rrush more punch.  We added much needed speed at the LB position to help with intermediate coverage and dumpoff routes.  Having that extra half a second may turn those pressures into sacks. 

22 minutes ago, gHost83 said:

I dont know if we will bring back Schofield or not but unless we planning on signing 23 UDFAs we are going to have to bring in some vets. After the draft we only have 67 players.

Edited by FentayeJones

8 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

I dont know if we will bring back Schofield or not but unless we planning on signing 33 UDFAs we are going to have to bring in some vets. After the draft we only have 67 players.

math is hard