Time to Shed Some Light and Historical Facts to Dispel Some of This the Ignorance Driven Crying Regarding Falcons Drafts Under Dimitroff

5 minutes ago, lasher1116 said:

"2011 was the year of Julio Jones.  I'll just say that that draft class was one of the best ever.  And Thomas Dimitroff drafted a Hall of Fame player.  Giving up an extra first and a few mid round picks were worth it once you consider the percentages of those players who actually stick in the league and make major contributions. "

"2012 was also an absolutely horrendous draft class that put this team a couple steps back.  He must shoulder much of the blame for this"

Going to use your own words to say this, while Julio is amazing, the multiple picks we lost, the following seasons horrible draft, set us back at least 5 years, if not more.  We have been reeling to attempt to make up for these 2 years of draft choices, and I fear because of them, both Matt and Julio will be old and even possibly retired before we can get things fixed.  

Because of those choices, unless we can recover in the next 2-3 seasons, TD and AB will go down in the Atlanta Falcons History as major blunders in my book.  Too many chances blown with horrible choices.

Who would you have picked with those picks we lost?  Better yet, who do you think TD would have picked with all of those picks, because losing 5 picks for Julio only sets you back if you hit on all or almost all of those picks.  The 2012 draft set us back much more than the the Julio trade IMO.  The Konz and Holmes picks were the downfall of our OLine in general, coupled with the Sam Baker extention and injuries.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

With that said, each one of them could have that pendulum from one extreme or the other based on just 2-3 years of work

Yep, it can go from abysmal to great (or vice versa) in a hurry. The fact that over a third of the franchises in the league have won SBs in the last twenty years is a testament to quick changes of fortune. If you can get over the hump you're probably in good shape for a decent stretch. Of the 5 teams with a single SB win only 2 of them (Bucs and Saints) have only one SB appearance. Everybody seems to think the Falcs are a million years away but just a couple of good drafts can put them on top for years.

Being a Falcons fan can certainly cause a fair amount of pessimism but I choose to be an optimist. I've got a set of Falcons plates and cups still wrapped in plastic that I'm gonna break out when we get back to the SB. I've had them for like 15 years but I'm confident that I'm gonna be tearing that plastic off them soon. :)

TD has been and will be fine. The problems that several posters on here don't understand is that whenever a team like the Seahawks has a great draft like 2012, that suddenly becomes the expectation. They don't realize that that's actually an outlier. Drafts like that are extremely lucky and don't happen as often as people think, at all. The other issue is hindsight and getting mad about a player the Falcons could have drafted. FFS1970 is the worst at that 

8 hours ago, slamee101 said:

I don't disagree with some of what you're saying.  However, I do see too many ifs and buts.  Yes, Dimitroff has disappointed in the draft.  I recognize though that many teams do.  Even the elite teams that are perennial contenders.  The true measure of Dimitroff and his failures as a GM though lie in his missteps/"bad luck" in the draft in addition to his abysmal record as GM in Free Agency.  This AMPLIFIES the mistakes in the draft.  For the Michael Turner addition and the trades for Tony Gonzalez and Asante Samuel...he has moves like Ray Edwards, Dunta Robinson (who I loved but got top flight corner $$$ and was never the best corner on our team at any point), Tyson Jackson, and Paul Soliai who I actually liked but is already gone.

Combine this with some more understandable mistakes in my eyes in re-signing guys after career years (Moore, DeCoud, Baker) who went on to basically contribute nothing after 2012...I think it's alright to be critical of what Dimitroff has done in the draft.  To have a draft as abysmal as the 2012 draft with none of those guys still in the league while there was so much talent in the later rounds that actually have made a mark in the league...not make the playoffs since...I think it should be understandable for people to be impatient.  He deserves the criticism.  

We'll see how 2013 ends up (you can't really assess a draft 1-2 years out) but make no mistake...if people want to b*tch about Dimitroff it's understandable.  May be old news and low-hanging fruit here...but certainly understandable.

Mass is with the Chiefs and and Holmes is with  the Lions.

Ewing was with the Jags but got hurt....again..That dude had all kinds of potential.

We gave up on Holmes way way too fast. But I think that is part of the anti injuries stance we seem to be taking.

8 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Ewing was with the Jags but got hurt....again..That dude had all kinds of potential.

We gave up on Holmes way way too fast. But I think that is part of the anti injuries stance we seem to be taking.

Yay are draft picks are on other teams with no compensation Yay. 

One reason you can't use mathematics in a short term situation like this is because all teams aren't equal. The best teams might only have space for 3-4 rookies at most which will skew your numbers as will teams changing coaches that need to dump for scheme specific players. 

Yes the drafts seem better with Quinn helping him, but you really got to wait and see on the last 3 drafts before anybody knows if they are successes or not. 

Not clamouring for TD job either but also know he needs to do better or they are going into each season handicapped. Main thing for me is while Ryan is capable he is going to need some pieces around him before his window closes, cause that's when the true rebuild starts.

9 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

TD has been and will be fine. The problems that several posters on here don't understand is that whenever a team like the Seahawks has a great draft like 2012, that suddenly becomes the expectation. They don't realize that that's actually an outlier. Drafts like that are extremely lucky and don't happen as often as people think, at all. The other issue is hindsight and getting mad about a player the Falcons could have drafted. FFS1970 is the worst at that 

^This

Of course it's easy for the armchair GMs to look back 2 or 3 years later and say we should have taken so and so.  Other fan bases could be saying that about a few of our players as well.  

19 hours ago, Sobeit said:

If you do not think they will relish coming in to the Dome this year and kicking us in the teeth you better think again.

Youre suggesting that Captain WR screen head coach and "I want a 3-4 but not a 3-4 and a 4-3 but not a 4-3" defense coord can actually perform a teeth kick.

I know they cannot do said act, based on history.

10 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

OK, technically they're in the league.  Check their NFL.com pages.  These guys didn't play in 2015 and are hoping to make a roster.  Last year they were all out of the league and this year a couple are hoping to be on someone's roster Week 1.  Point stands.  Awful draft by our GM.

20 hours ago, gazoo said:
con·text
ˈkäntekst/
noun
  1. the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed.

Sir please expound on this confusing post because if your trying to say I mis-interpreted the context of the post and responded in a non-sensical manner explain how.

Title of the post:
    Time to Shed Some Light and Historical Facts to Dispel Some of This the Ignorance Driven Crying Regarding Falcons Drafts Under Dimitroff

I remember vividly Reeves drafting a TE every other pick or using our 1st Rd pick to draft Duckett after signing Dunn and JA finally being healthy.

So all this nit picky crap of TD is funny considering how bad our drafts used to be. TD drafts make sense even if they don't pan out due to injuries and bad luck but at least TD's pick have some logic behind them.

22 hours ago, ukfalc said:

Very good post. The problem is, fans don't put the hits and misses in to any context, because most people have no real idea how many hits and misses there are in different areas of the draft and what the chances are of finding a good player. They also set the bar too high when it comes to determining who the hits are.

Fans complain that we don't find enough late round "gems", whilst talking about guys like Sherman and Hardy. They fail to consider that it's about one in every 40 picks in rounds 3-7 that makes a pro-bowl, and many of them are "only" make the pro-bowl as special teamers. The chances of finding an offensive of defensive pro-bowler in the letter rounds is very small.

Despite his shortcomings, Kroy Biermann was a really good pick for us in the 5th round, but you wouldn't get many on here who would say he was a hit.

Yep Irony, people complaining about lack of late rd picks doing anything, but grilling Kroy every chance they got thinking he was a 1st rounder that didn't live up to his status. Reality was Kroy was a 5th rounder that played well past his draft spot and was a great value.

20 hours ago, ukfalc said:

Things go in cycles. It is tough to remain at the top year in and year out. Success brings bad draft position, your front office and coaching staff get raided, your best draft picks demand big money which puts you ear salary cap pressure and your best players age and decline. 

We had 5 years as a serious contender, earning the #1 seed twice in 3 years and compiling the best regular season record in the conference over a 5 year span. Keepin at that level is tough, especially when you lose players like Turner, Gonzalez and Abraham.

Rightly or wrongly, we took a huge gamble to win it all at th expense of the longer term, when we traded the farm for Julio Jones. Was it risk worth taking? We reached an NFCCG, bet left ourselves short of cap space and draft picks and in need of what has been a 3 year rebuild? We could (and probably should) have won the SB in 2012. IMO we would have if our HC hadn't got our key defensive player player hurt in the last 5 mins of a meaningless wk 17 game. 

2013 and 2014 got tanked due to horrible injuries that caught up with us. We had 10+ guys on IR in both 2013 and 2014. Hard for any team to sustain that and up to that point in  the Smith Regime we were pretty healthy each year. Smith may still be here and we would have had winning season had it not been for all the injuries those two years.

10 hours ago, runshoot said:

Youre suggesting that Captain WR screen head coach and "I want a 3-4 but not a 3-4 and a 4-3 but not a 4-3" defense coord can actually perform a teeth kick.

I know they cannot do said act, based on history.

We did a pretty good job of kicking people in the teeth when Turner was here.