2016 Armchair GM Hindsight Protection Thread

OK here is my 2016 hindsight protection thread. I get accused of hindsight drafting here quite a bit, because I truly believe I could've out drafted Dimi with YouTube, three draft sites, two mocks and no staff.  Part time. For free. So here is my final 2016 mock along with mine and Dimi's 2016 real time drafts.

MY FINAL MOCK DRAFT

1. Darron Lee - OLB - buddy was available. Should have taken him. Jets did

2. Keanu Neal - SS - dude was long gone because Dimi took him in the first on a reach

3. Adolphus Washington - DT - Rex gets it. Took him with the pick before ours. Dam

4. Bronson Kaufusi - DE - had him mocked way too low. Went 45 picks earlier to Ozzie

7. Joe Thuney - OG - OK I was dreaming. Billy Check took him in the third before our pick

MY REAL TIME DRAFT

1. Darron Lee - OLB - JETS - yall already know that was my man the whole time

2. Su'a Cravens - SS/OLB - REDSKINS - Cravens and Lee would have been better than Neal and Jones

3. Austin Hooper - TE - FALCONS - first Dimi pick I've ever hit on. Thought hard about Jordan Jenkins

4. Connor McGovern- OG - BRONCOS - needs some work but will likely beat some as. I reached

6. Alex McAllister - DE - EAGLES - last of the DEs on my hit list. Reached again

7. Keith Marshall - RB - REDSKINS - big and fast. Needs Ward's job

DIMI's REAL TIME DRAFT

1. Keanu Neal - SS - was on my hot list. Probably reached but likely would have been gone in the 2nd

2. Deion Jones - WLB - good tackler but looks like he could be had in the pass game

3. Austin Hooper - TE - had him in my first mock. Always thought he was the best of a weak TE group

4. De'Vondre Campbell - LB - never heard of him. I hope he is a beast

6. Wes Schweitzer - OG - have no idea who this is. Need to watch his tape

7. Devin Fuller - WR - don't know him. Marshall may have been better

I think Dimi was OK in the first three rounds. Not sure about the rest. I really hope he can get three starters. This is a foresight thread. Hopefully a good post digga will bump it in February 2019 for a fair assessment.

Post your real time draft here if you need hindsight protection.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was only the other day that I told another poster, who said that mock drafts would go away after the draft, that they'd only change form. 

We'd get 2017 way too early mocks, and "what I would have done" mocks.

Both are stupid, but it's up for debate which is dumber.

**** I hate being right. <_<

I really don't understand how you think you could out draft Dimi when you don't know much about draft prospects when draft time rolls around. You know your Falcon history better than most, but you definitely aren't a draft wizard. No hate, just being real. 

I am all for people posting what they would have done. And i'm one of those who thinks he could out draft every NFL GM as well, but not if you don't even have knowledge of the players you are drafting and you are just making your mock based on what you read without even watching anything.

I mean you said you didn't even know who Fuller and Campbell were for heavens sake lol. 

10 minutes ago, gazoo said:

You post your final mock draft, AFTER the draft has already taken place? 

It's a true real time mock bro. Who I would have taken when we were on the clock. No hindsight. Hindsight protected. Could be a bust. Likely not. Probably equal or better than Dimi's.

Post your real time draft here if you need hindsight protection

Ease up on the OP, he's having fun! I love the draft process too and do stuff like this with my buddies. Is he claiming to be better than NFL GMs? Didn't see him put that.

Enjoyed the post, looks like your projections were way off for your mock, like between 1-120 picks for each prospect from 2nd round onwards. I'm sure we would have taken these dudes too if they'd been there in these rounds!

I would have liked the Lee pick at 1 as well but I guess they felt Jones offered more and could play MIKE as well.

FWIW I liked our actual draft more than your real time mock.

4 minutes ago, TRUUUU said:

Ease up on the OP, he's having fun! I love the draft process too and do stuff like this with my buddies. Is he claiming to be better than NFL GMs? Didn't see him put that.

Enjoyed the post, looks like your projections were way off for your mock, like between 1-120 picks for each prospect from 2nd round onwards. I'm sure we would have taken these dudes too if they'd been there in these rounds!

I would have liked the Lee pick at 1 as well but I guess they felt Jones offered more and could play MIKE as well.

he usually tries to imply it, kind of like the point of this thread.

6 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

I really don't understand how you think you could out draft Dimi when you don't know much about draft prospects when draft time rolls around. You know your Falcon history better than most, but you definitely aren't a draft wizard. No hate, just being real. 

I am all for people posting what they would have done. And i'm one of those who thinks he could out draft every NFL GM as well, but not if you don't even have knowledge of the players you are drafting and you are just making your mock based on what you read without even watching anything.

I mean you said you didn't even know who Fuller and Campbell were for heavens sake lol. 

There's no doubt Dimi knows more about draft prospects than I do. He is the full time GM of an NFL team. He's got the advantage of a scouting staff, four GMs, tons of tape, reports, interviews, work outs, you name it. I heard him say they run hundreds of mocks. Hundreds.

I'm a part time TATFer just looking for rest. I have the benefit of YouTube, a couple draft sites and NFL Network. I run two or three mocks a year. Still, I honestly believe I could out draft that mofo and would gladly do it for free. I would certainly wear him out with free agents.

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

There's no doubt Dimi knows more about draft prospects than I do. He is the full time GM of an NFL team. He's got the advantage of a scouting staff, four GMs, tons of tape, reports, interviews, work outs, you name it. I heard him say they run hundreds of mocks. Hundreds.

I'm a part time TATFer just looking for rest. I have the benefit of YouTube, a couple draft sites and NFL Network. I run two or three mocks a year. Still, I honestly believe I could out draft that mofo and would gladly do it for free. I would certainly wear him out with free agents.

Lol you're a piece of work my man. 

14 minutes ago, TRUUUU said:

Yes, and this isn't even close to the first time either

Not that I need protection but it is fun. Here is what I was thinking when we made our picks. Or what I would have done given how the board fell.

Lee

Bullard

Hooper

Benenoch

Feeney

Joe Walker

Edited by Sobeit

50 minutes ago, WORilla said:

Can someone tell me how Darron Lee is better than Cambell? 

It has to do with projection. I really think that Campbell was a good pick in the 4th it may have been early for him. People will argue that Lee has more upside. If you watch them Lee is a much more fluid and smooth mover in space. Both will do well but I think Lee has a bit more upside and is more explosive twitch player.

I had real time (actually I had a few each round I would have been fine with in the draft chat, but these are the main):

1) Lawson

2) Cravens

3) Hargrave

4) McGovern

6) Travis Feeney

7) Charone Peake

Also liked Jatavis in the 4th, and the 7th was a flyer...not really anyone I liked a lot left.

The big misses in mine would be TE and one of the fast LBs would have to be able to play SS.

Post your "real time" draft here - hours after the NFL draft has concluded and with the full assurance that this entire thread will be deleted once the OP predictably steps on his weenie yet again - if you need hindsight protection.

21 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

I had real time (actually I had a few each round I would have been fine with in the draft chat, but these are the main):

1) Lawson

2) Cravens

3) Hargrave

4) McGovern

6) Travis Feeney

7) Charone Peake

Also liked Jatavis in the 4th, and the 7th was a flyer...not really anyone I liked a lot left.

The big misses in mine would be TE and one of the fast LBs would have to be able to play SS.

It had to be real difficult not to take Treadwell at 17. He is going to be such a high volume possession receiver. I would have grabbed Walker in the 7th because he has Worrilow like testing but looks like he is a decent football player.

Edited by Sobeit

4 minutes ago, Sobeit said:

It had to be real difficult not to take Treadwell at 17. He is going to be such a high volume possession receiver. I would have grabbed Walker in the 7th because he has Worrilow like testing but looks like he is a decent football player.

Yeah, I had the 1st completely open.  I was fine with a good OT/OG convert.  Fine with Rankins if he dropped.  None wowed me there...2nd and 3rd were clearer.

I liked Doctson and Treadwell both at that spot.  I generally prefer 2nd and 3rd round receivers (value wise) but they seemed like good picks for the spot.

I always wonder what other plans the FO had, or which players they were hoping would drop to them.

17 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Yeah, I had the 1st completely open.  I was fine with a good OT/OG convert.  Fine with Rankins if he dropped.  None wowed me there...2nd and 3rd were clearer.

I liked Doctson and Treadwell both at that spot.  I generally prefer 2nd and 3rd round receivers (value wise) but they seemed like good picks for the spot.

I always wonder what other plans the FO had, or which players they were hoping would drop to them.

There was a rumor that Lee was kind of arrogant in some interviews and put some teams off. Wonder if one of those was us. I think early on we really wanted Floyd but at some point they knew it would not happen. I do wonder if they would have taken Joseph if he had made it to us or if Neal really was the pick.

Personally I think with who we brought in the last couple of weeks we were seriously considering guard there and Tunsil kind of wrecked us taking Conklin which I would of been happy with. Not that I think Neal is going to be a bad player I think he will be very good just a little raw. He is a very likable guy though so I will not be too hard on the pick other than it was not the best value at 17.

After Floyd was off the board the only other defensive player I would have considered there was Lee. If they both were gone I would have went Oline or WR but the value at Oline was gone at 17 with the Tunsil drama.

Edited by Sobeit

My draft was:

1. Leonard Floyd

2. Keanu Neal

3. Bronson Kaufusi

4. Jerrell Adams

7. Darrel Greene

--

This draft wasn't plausible the second the Bears took Floyd, but TBH I actually think TD/Quinn did better than my mock. Time will tell.

P.S: FFS1970 - Wes Schweitzman is a bad *** OL, De'Vondre Campbell has a ceiling somewhere near the moon, and Fuller *should* replace Hester. 

12 minutes ago, Sobeit said:

There was a rumor that Lee was kind of arrogant in some interviews and put some teams off. Wonder if one of those was us. I think early on we really wanted Floyd but at some point they knew it would not happen. I do wonder if they would have taken Joseph if he had made it to us or if Neal really was the pick. Personally I think with who we brought in the last couple of weeks we were seriously considering guard there and Tunsil kind of wrecked us taking Conklin which I would of been happy with. Not that I think Neal is going to be a bad player I think he will be very good just a little raw. He is a very likable guy though so I will not be too hard on the pick other than it was not the best value at 17.

Hadn't heard that rumor.  But yeah, Conklin was the guy I was thinking of.  Thought he'd make a great guard, with possibility to move to RT if we have trouble w Shraeder.

Floyd and Conklin and Rankins were my 3 favorite.  I don't even know if Floyd will end up being really good, he's such a weird projection...but he seemed like one of the only ones that might be a superstar, that also might drop to us.  I figured Conklin would definitely get there.  Inside of 10 picks that was done.

Yeah, Neal isn't who I would've taken, but I hope he balls out.  I don't like first round safeties unless they are obvious stars, but this draft class was sort of that way and we knew it...lots and lots of 2nd rounders.  But if he and Jones are both legit starters, that'll work.

20 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Hadn't heard that rumor.  But yeah, Conklin was the guy I was thinking of.  Thought he'd make a great guard, with possibility to move to RT if we have trouble w Shraeder.

Floyd and Conklin and Rankins were my 3 favorite.  I don't even know if Floyd will end up being really good, he's such a weird projection...but he seemed like one of the only ones that might be a superstar, that also might drop to us.  I figured Conklin would definitely get there.  Inside of 10 picks that was done.

Yeah, Neal isn't who I would've taken, but I hope he balls out.  I don't like first round safeties unless they are obvious stars, but this draft class was sort of that way and we knew it...lots and lots of 2nd rounders.  But if he and Jones are both legit starters, that'll work.

Floyd was probably the only guy in this draft class with serious pass rushing ability. Not that there were not some guys who would be decent at it. I think we made 4 really good picks those last 2 I am not sure about but do not really know that much about either one of them. Hopefully we stole one with the 6th rounder because apparently some one on our staff has coached him.

Hopefully we don't have trouble with Schrader but he has developed nicely and may decide he can be a starting LT somewhere and get paid like it. That is kind of my fear with him anyway that he will price us out of the competition.

Do you think we will have the ability to win more games with what is suppose to be a tougher schedule? I do not think 10-6 is unreasonable but depending on so many rookies on defense I don't think 7-9 is a stretch either. I knew when we changed coaches it would take a couple of years but hope we can see some serious improvement this year.

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

OK here is my 2016 hindsight protection thread. I get accused of hindsight drafting here quite a bit, because I truly believe I could've out drafted Dimi with YouTube, three draft sites, two mocks and no staff.  Part time. For free. So here is my final 2016 mock along with mine and Dimi's 2016 real time drafts.

MY FINAL MOCK DRAFT

1. Darron Lee - OLB - buddy was available. Should have taken him. Jets did

2. Keanu Neal - SS - dude was long gone because Dimi took him in the first on a reach

3. Adolphus Washington - DT - Rex gets it. Took him with the pick before ours. Dam

4. Bronson Kaufusi - DE - had him mocked way too low. Went 45 picks earlier to Ozzie

7. Joe Thuney - OG - OK I was dreaming. Billy Check took him in the third before our pick

So when Ozzie takes someone 45 picks earlier than you expected, its your bad in your mock. When TD takes someone 10 or 15 spots higher than you expected, its a reach. Gotcha.