This draft unleashes Beastly

I don't think any one player in this draft is that exciting. However, this draft was very well thought out to addresses our most glaring needs with specific talent sets. I know some of you are about to yell we didn't draft a pass rusher. Think about it and check yourself. Our draft class is almost certain to make our pass rush better. Beasley will get his 10 sacks this year. And he'll get it without adding a pure pass rusher.  Why?
1) Look at his pressure numbers.

2) Add an average of .5 seconds before the QB releases the ball due to better coverage of TEs and RBs.

3) Beasley will be a year smarter and more experienced.

4) We drafted a lot of attitude on defense. Even if these guys are raw, they will be looking for someone to attack on the field.

I'm going to be so bold as to say we will be in the top 20 in the league in sacks this season. Another cover corner and another DE next year...the sky is the limit.

Here's another item to close with. If our red zone offense improves, our opponents will be behind more. That will also help the sack numbers. Our 3rd round pick is very likely to help improve red zone offense. It gives Matt the big, athletic type receiver he has always favored on possession downs.

10 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I don't think any one player in this draft is that exciting. However, this draft was very well thought out to addresses our most glaring needs with specific talent sets. I know some of you are about to yell we didn't draft a pass rusher. Think about it and check yourself. Our draft class is almost certain to make our pass rush better. Beasley will get his 10 sacks this year. And he'll get it without adding a pure pass rusher.  Why?
1) Look at his pressure numbers.

2) Add an average of .5 seconds before the QB releases the ball due to better coverage of TEs and RBs.

3) Beasley will be a year smarter and more experienced.

4) We drafted a lot of attitude on defense. Even if these guys are raw, they will be looking for someone to attack on the field.

I'm going to be so bold as to say we will be in the top 20 in the league in sacks this season. Another cover corner and another DE next year...the sky is the limit.

Here's another item to close with. If our red zone offense improves, our opponents will be behind more. That will also help the sack numbers. Our 4th round pick is very likely to help improve red zone offense. It gives Matt the big, athletic type receiver he has always favored on possession downs.

We drafted Hooper in the 3rd, not 4th. 

12 hours ago, AtlantaFanSince1991 said:

We drafted Hooper in the 3rd, not 4th. 

Thank you sir. OP is corrected.

10 hours ago, FalconsInstitutionalSize said:

rhis draft basically turns this team from middle of the row to top ten again maybe top 5 if everyone peaks.

That may be optimistic for this season. These guys will need some time to adjust to the pro game. I also feel like we have too much "potential" at DT. We may need to address the OL and CB depth may become a bigger issue as Alford and Trufaunt's contracts mature. However, I agree we are trending in the right direction.

I for one am extremely excited about Neal. I am optimistic that this will not be moore 2.0 but hopefully he can be what moore was supposed to be when healthy. I'm very excited about the potential of Dan Quinn getting his strong safety and what he will be able to do with Neal.

Another aspect on the pass rush front, is we seem to be replacing Tyson Jackson at LE with Shelby.  So that should be improved pressure from the base D.

Similarly, we'll be rushing Clay from outside instead of inside, and that should yield more pressure.

We won't know how much until the season starts, but those are substantial differences.

In my mock, we got both Lawson and Hargraves, so I think the DL could have used more help.  But there's definitely reason to expect notable improvement even without it.

Quinn inherited the 32nd defense in the league he brought to middle of the road despite their apparent deficiencies at pass rush and covering the hot routes. Beasley and jarret are no longer rookies and I'd say that the work they put in as first year players can only have a positive effect for this year. The defense isn't that hard or complicated however the versatility of the players Quinn and co. have brought in makes it a complicated defense to scheme for. With beas the new linebackers and the safeties you won't know who is in coverage or who is stunting. The QB and center will both be confused in certain situations. All this ofcourse is on paper.

7 hours ago, falcndave said:

Thank you sir. OP is corrected.

That may be optimistic for this season. These guys will need some time to adjust to the pro game. I also feel like we have too much "potential" at DT. We may need to address the OL and CB depth may become a bigger issue as Alford and Trufaunt's contracts mature. However, I agree we are trending in the right direction.

Going from #32 to #16, I can see them making the jump to top 10 with the added new talent and another year in Quinn's scheme.