Why all the "Reach" Stuff?

There were quite a few guys we could have taken w/ our 1st and 2nd rounders that nobody would have considered to be a reach, yet those same guys found themselves still on the board in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.

The problem is that we can only base our opinions around the information that is presented to us (Mocks/Prospect Rankings), and unfortunately, that information comes from people that are not NFL team exec's. We have no idea how coveted Kean Neal, or Deion Jones truly were around the time we chose them. Theres no such thing as a reach in the draft, only good picks and bad picks. So pull your panties out your butt crack and just wish the guys well, cause if they end up doing well in the jobs we drafted them to do, we will be a better football team.

Edited by RubberDucky

Yah, it's just silly sometimes. Of course, there is a point at which any reasonable person would consider a pick a reach (for example: trading up in the second to take a kicker), but if the player fits your scheme and your need better than the next 31 players, you take him when he's available. People complained that we didn't take a linebacker at #17, but Lee was the last one taken in the round. And they griped about not taking an edge rusher, yet Lawson was the last one taken in the round. If we didn't have a positive grade on those players, we would have been "reaching" to take any other ones at our pick.

What's the point of talking about the draft if you can't say what you feel? Come to think of it what's the point of the message board? 

Just because people feel like Atlanta reached on some picks doesn't mean they aren't hoping they become great players for us. 

Obviously our front office isn't the same caliber yet, but if you look at a lot of Patriot and Seahawks Draft classes, "experts" often call most picks reaches. And some happen to be but they generally get some nice contributors to their team who fit the scheme they're trying to run. Both have been strong contenders for the past few years ( much longer in the Patriots case obviously). 

31 minutes ago, RYNE said:

What's the point of talking about the draft if you can't say what you feel? Come to think of it what's the point of the message board? 

Just because people feel like Atlanta reached on some picks doesn't mean they aren't hoping they become great players for us. 

Context.

Discuss the individual, their tape, and how their strengths and weakness can either help or hurt the team. When your entire argument against a player is the time-frame in which you drafted them, it shows you neither know nor care what their unique skillsets may be and how that skillset can help us.

LOL. This is exactly why I avoided signing into TATF until the draft was completely over. Now, I'm going to go thru all the draft threads I missed the past few days, and let the arguments, butt-hurt, and harsh predictions entertain me. Happy with the draft picks this year, though. Now to wait and see if they can play at the next level.

Just now, SkyborneC-Falcon4Life said:

LOL. This is exactly why I avoided signing into TATF until the draft was completely over. Now, I'm going to go thru all the draft threads I missed the past few days, and let the arguments, butt-hurt, and harsh predictions entertain me. Happy with the draft picks this year, though. Now to wait and see if they can play at the next level.

I have to recommend the Devondre Campbell thread. There's all kinds of twists and turns in that one.

3 hours ago, RubberDucky said:

There were quite a few guys we could have taken w/ our 1st and 2nd rounders that nobody would have considered to be a reach, yet those same guys found themselves still on the board in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.

The problem is that we can only base our opinions around the information that is presented to us (Mocks/Prospect Rankings), and unfortunately, that information comes from people that are not NFL team exec's. We have no idea how coveted Kean Neal, or Deion Jones truly were around the time we chose them. Theres no such thing as a reach in the draft, only good picks and bad picks. So pull your panties out your butt crack and just wish the guys well, cause if they end up doing well in the jobs we drafted them to do, we will be a better football team.

We picked a SS with 17, the next safety taken was about 60 picks later.  If the position was so coveted by other teams why didn't another get taken earlier?