What's your grade for the 16 Draft?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will have to go B. I agree with part of what UK and takeitdown said. There was probably better value on the board for positions we needed at each pick I think we had a goal in this draft. While I think it was a lack of foresight that got us in position to draft the way we did I think they did a decent job strategically. While I agree we needed to improve the front 7 they clearly thought the middle needed the most attention. We did get one pick that I think will help our offense immediately especially when it comes to putting points on the board we need to draft some guys for the future. Hopefully we will finally get in a position where we can let the draft come to us and stop reaching based on holes we have created ourselves.

19 minutes ago, Ben Day Hoe said:

It's a Falcons fan board. Sorry if I get carried away. At least your honest and I admire you for that.

Funny you say that...rereading my post I apologize. Other thing are eating at me and coming here to blow off some steam in not the right way to handle things. By posting what I did I am doing the exact opposite but the same as what I jumped on you for.

Again my apology.

Just now, Keith 3:16 said:

Funny you say that...rereading my post I apologize. Other thing are eating at me and coming here to blow off some steam in not the right way to handle things. By posting what I did I am doing the exact opposite but the same as what I jumped on you for.

Again my apology.

What's been up with you lately? You've seemed human these last couple of months. You good man? 

:) 

1 minute ago, Keith 3:16 said:

Again my apology.

I don't take anything personal here. Been a long week here too. Thankfully off both days.

Just now, Jpowers said:

What's been up with you lately? You've seemed human these last couple of months. You good man? 

:) 

Lol..just a fan who's passion is at different stage than others. Follow this dumpster fire of an organization long enough and that passion will become anger.

13 minutes ago, Ben Day Hoe said:

No upside huh? Guess we worked him out and drafted him for nothing then.

How the living helI did you get that out of me saying he was bad in that scheme in college? He has athletic upside and is a smart kid, hard worker. But dude didn't look good. 

This is why people call you a nut hugger and don't take you seriously sometimes. I literally just make a comment about him being bad in a scheme and you twist it to mean I somehow think there's no upside to the pick. Quit jumping anyone who isn't all sunshine and daisies.

Just now, Falcan Moore said:

How the living helI did you get that out of me saying he was bad in that scheme in college? He has athletic upside and is a smart kid, hard worker. But dude didn't look good. 

This is why people call you a nut hugger and don't take you seriously sometimes. I literally just make a comment about him being bad in a scheme and you twist it to mean I somehow think there's no upside to the pick. Quit jumping anyone who isn't all sunshine and daisies.

All I did was ask a question .Sorry if you feel like I jumped on you Call me a nut hugger if it makes you feel better.

I give it a C.

Austin Hooper, Devondre Campbell and Devin Fuller appear to be great value picks and have a good chance to be above average starters at TE, Nickel LB and PR/KR respectively.

My biggest gripe is the reach picks. Keanu Neal could've been available at 50 or we could have had another capable SS in the second round. Deion Jones has the same negatives that everyone said about Darron Lee. In the fourth, we could have taken Andrew Billings, a first round value, but passed on him even though we need a DT. We still have no pass rush and f@art noises at Guard and MLB. 

My alternate reality version of the draft would have been Myles Jack in the 1st, Cody Whitehair in the 2nd, Austin Hooper in the 3rd and Andrew Billings in the 4th

18 minutes ago, Ben Day Hoe said:

All I did was ask a question .Sorry if you feel like I jumped on you Call me a nut hugger if it makes you feel better.

You didn't ask a question, you posed a sarcastic rhetorical and inferred things I didn't say. Just like saying I called you a nut hugger when I'm just referring to what other people have said today. 

You have a seriously pathetic victim complex.

1 minute ago, Sandy5prings said:

I give it a C.

Austin Hooper, Devondre Campbell and Devin Fuller appear to be great value picks and have a good chance to be above average starters at TE, Nickel LB and PR/KR respectively.

My biggest gripe is the reach picks. Keanu Neal could've been available at 50 or we could have had another capable SS in the second round. Deion Jones has the same negatives that everyone said about Darron Lee. In the fourth, we could have taken Andrew Billings, a first round value, but passed on him even though we need a DT. We still have no pass rush and f@art noises at Guard and MLB. 

My alternate reality version of the draft would have been Myles Jack in the 1st, Cody Whitehair in the 2nd, Austin Hooper in the 3rd and Andrew Billings in the 4th

I liked Billings too but didn't want to gamble on the injured ones

2 hours ago, RYNE said:

Now that it is all over what grade would you give for the Falcons 2016 NFL draft? Like many of you will I do need to check out our 6th and 7th rounders on tape but I never expect too much out of those guys anyways. 

For me this seems like a C+ draft. We will see how well Dan Quinn is able to feature these guys to improve our team. I really liked Neal and Jones but they both felt like slight reaches to me. But as people have said other teams were looking at Neal in the first so we didn't really have a choice but to me he wasn't quite worth that pick at 17. I wanted him in the second round.

I like Deion jones a lot. Think he is the same player as Darron Lee and a much better value.

I wasn't a big fan of the Hooper pick. Thought there were better players on the board and I would have rather got Higbee and his speed at the tight end position. I hated how they kept saying we will throw jump balls to him. We don't throw jump balls to Julio, and we certainly won't be doing that to him. 

Now I always do my draft right along with the Falcons. Right before they select when their pick is in I write down my pick. If I was picking our first three picks were 

1) Shaq Lawson

2) Su'a Cravens

3) Andrew Billings 

So I didn't get any of my top 3 picks. We will see what ends up being a better draft

Basically we got a bunch of guys who can run and hit. Which was Quinn's goal. I don't feel like we got any better at protecting #2. And the main thing that is bothering me is we didn't help the pass rush. So that's where my C+ grade comes from. What do you think about this year's draft haul? 

I don't think I could have possibly written this post any differently than you did. I agree with your assessment and although I don't write down my picks as we are picking I couldn't agree more with the guys you picked. The only player I really really like out of this draft is Jones but I still think we selected him a tad higher than was necessary. Great post! 

D+ /C-

Neal- young Willy mo with a little better range

Jones- 3rd round prospect with marginal strength , good speed and coverage ability. 

Hooper- 4th round prospect with good hands not much athleticism

Cambell-Good depth good value

Wes -inconsistent but has potential.

Fuller- if he takes heaters job it's a good pickup

Edited by atlGM
2 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

You didn't ask a question, you posed a sarcastic rhetorical and inferred things I didn't say. Just like saying I called you a nut hugger when I'm just referring to what other people have said today. 

You have a seriously pathetic victim complex. I'm glad I didn't take that mod job after all, dealing with people like you is annoying af

Try to have a good night and enjoy what the Falcons have done this off season if you can. That's what most Falcon fans do,

2 hours ago, falcndave said:

There were no real head scratchers in this group. I though the OG was one, but once I heard that they had worked him out and that the assistant OL coach had coached him before, that took some of the mystery out of that move.

C+/B- for now.

except this reminds me or should I say brings flashbacks to when we drafted that Kennedy kid a few years ago because we had an oline coach who had coached him before. Was supposed to work himself into being "a steal" and I don't remember him ever making it on to the field

I liked the Jones and Campbell picks, the rest of them leave me saying 'meh' and 'blah'

I'm just totally underwhelmed to be honest, although I think obviously Neal will be the starting SS, but only because they cut   W.A.R. AKA willimo always recovering

8 minutes ago, Sandy5prings said:

A first round value in the 4th? C'mon man! If it was the second round, it's risky but it's not like TD has hit on a lot of 3rd/4th round guys anyway. 

Meant Jack and Smith on the injured part. Billing in the 4th was my dream value pick but it didnt happen. Quinn got his prototype KJ Wright in Campbell instead.

Just now, Falcan Moore said:

Back to the classic "you're probably not a Falcon fan if you're arguing with me." I love our off-season. This is just sad. 

Dude I have seen a lot of your write ups and agree with most of them. Relax. I thought you hated Campbell... you don't. I misunderstood. I get it.Back to BBQ beer and football chat now.

14 minutes ago, Sandy5prings said:

How can you not draft a first round talent over a position need in the 4th? 

Maybe they just didn't value his skills as much? We didn't work out much at that position and showed no indication of going in that direction. I am not surprised that Quinn went for a fast, scheme fitting and scheme familiar linebacker. Campbell's athletic ability far exceeds what we have on the roster at that position without him for sure. Our LBs have stunk for years. I wanted Billings, Westerman or Scooby but I'm just a fan. I didn't work Campbell out and ask him to do scheme specific drills. The Falcons did have him perform those drills up close and personal. They have decided he was the one yhey could develop. We moved forward last year under this regime. I expect that to continue despite the arm chair analyst detractors.

I'd say C+. I generally like the players we acquired, but the team stubbornly refuses to maximize draft value or select based on positional value. It's arrogant behavior, and as a fan, I'm infuriated that they never seem to learn from it. McKay was a master in running the draft. TD and Pioli are less gifted and more stubborn.

B+  Only because I don't think we filled our biggest need, which was pass rusher. But we got a faster on defense, so that grade might change if the players we drafted improve our team dramatically. If the pass rush improves, even though we didn't draft a specific pass rusher, but we get more sacks based on the speed of our LBs, then I give the draft an A-.