If you had to predict one player the Falcons take on Day#3, who ya got?

g-dawg

If you had to predict one player you believe the Falcons will take today, who ya got?  The Falcons are definitely only taking players they had private workouts with so that narrows the possibilities somewhat and I would expect that trend to continue - we have hit on three of our five needs so far so seems likely we would look at the other two (offensive guard and passrusher) with our remaining picks - we got three picks left.   The easiest one to predict is the 4th round pick because only 18 other names can go off the board before we make that pick.  The passrushers have been picked through and it was a weak class already - there are still lots of viable options at offensive guard and the 4th round is always a good place to land a quality guard that can eventually turn into a starter - although most assume an apprenticeship role for at least the rookie year.

I gotta believe we are going offensive guard as Chris Chester has grandchildren and Mike Person should change his first name to "Missing"...plus we all know Person is fond of stepping on Matt Ryan's feet to kill a play.

Here is the pick:

JOE DAHL, 6'4", 304LBS - WASHINGTON STATE

8-joe-dahl-ot-washington-state_pg_600.jp

WSU lineman Joe Dahl continues to get major attention from NFL teams as he prepares for the upcoming NFL draft. On Tuesday Pullman welcomed Atlanta Falcons head coach Dan Quinn, general manager Thomas Dimitroff and offensive line coach Chris Morgan. The Falcons staff was there to put Dahl through a private workout as documented by Cougar offensive line coach Clay McGuire.

CewnBiMUAAE_RSZ.jpg

Morgan and Quinn may have some familiarity with Dahl as they are both former members of the Seahawks organization.  A team making a special journey to the Palouse would seem to indicate very high interest. The Falcons definitely have a need at the guard position as well, with Alex Mack and Jake Matthews the only above-average starters on their offensive line. Another team that seems to be high on Dahl on the Oakland Raiders according to insider Victor Cotto.

OVERVIEW

After spending one year at the University of Montana and another sitting out as a transfer student, Dahl stepped into the starting lineup for the Cougars and hasn't left. He was the teams left guard for the 2013 regular season before moving out to left tackle for the bowl game - his home for the past two seasons. Its no surprise head coach/offensive mad genius Mike Leach can pass 50 times a game with minimal pressure given Dahl's ability to lock down the quarterbacks blind side with good lateral movement and a solid anchor. Despite earning first-team All-Pac-12 and USA Today second-team All-American accolades at left tackle in 2015, NFL scouts will want Dahl moved inside at the next level due to his average size and length. Either way, **** be a worthy pick as a potential starter.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Has started at guard and tackle and could be considered emergency tackle in a pinch. Decent flexibility in his lower half. Uses wide base as run blocker. Despite playing in pass-happy offense, shows ability to fire out with pop into defender and get some initial push as drive blocker. Good grip to maintain his initial block. Has hand quickness to move inside. Does a nice job of shifting weight to challenge inside moves. Coaches rave about his work habits and ability to retain information. Added weight and then muscle to his frame over last two years. Works his tail off to recover when beaten in pass protection. Constantly looking for work and will cave in pass rusher engaged with his teammate.

WEAKNESSES

Feet are a little bit heavy and he can be a little plodding when asked to block in space. Doesn't possess second level quickness to consistently get to cut­off blocks. Sluggish change of direction may turn his near misses into sacks and tackles for losses against NFL athletes. Arm length is below average so he will need more core strength to drop anchor and take a stand. Uses crab-­hand punch with hands outside the frame allowing forward leaning bull rushers to push the pocket. As game progresses, shows some waist-­bending tendencies.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 4

SOURCES TELL US

"Stud! Really tough. Played through injuries which put some shaky tape out there but if you watch him when he's healthy there ain't no doubt what he's going to do in the pros." -- Pac-12 scout

NFL COMPARISON

T.J. Lang

BOTTOM LINE

Average athlete, but a good football player. Dahl fights through his limitations using determination and toughness. He will have to make a move inside and needs to continue to hit the training table and weight room to add even more mass to his frame. Dahl has potential as a drive blocking guard but needs to play with better hand placement to maximize results. Dahl projects as an eventual starting guard.

Just now, Smiler11 said:

If I had to go with 1 player I would go with Westerman, just seems like a good fit. 

I like Westerman as well but I have not seen that much linkage from Falcons to Westerman - we have been heavily linked to Dahl - my guess is Falcons prefer Dahl.   If we take Westerman, I will be happy with that pick as well.

1 hour ago, Atlanta_Dawgs46 said:

I would go with Sebastian Tretola. I think he had been linked to us. If not guard, I would love to get Joshua Perry. He has the size of KJ Wright.

Tretola is a mauler and poor fit for Falcons Zone Blocking system.  Tretola is a better fit for MBS like Cowboys.

2 minutes ago, theProf said:

Josh Perry ILB in the 4th, Victor Ochi Pass Rusher in the 6th, and Sharrod Neasman FS/NB/CB in the 7th.

I think folks are focusing a lot more on OG than maybe we need to with bringing CHester back...

Like you, I still think we need a backup LEO (who is after Beasley?) and we also need a nickel CB or depth at CB/FS....

I was really hoping we could snag Simmons in the 4th...thought he would be perfect for that role...

Some other good names in this thread but I think the Falcons are honed in on the offensive guard spot.  To those saying "naw because we brought back Chester" - get real, Chester has one foot in the NFL and one foot on his fishing boat in retirement - Chester is a back-up at this stage of his career who can spot start when called upon.