Keanu and Deion comparison to others, plan

I just wanted to show a comparison to the players we selected, versus the popular players that pundits and MB members have been wanting...

Falcons Draft

1 (17) Keanu Neal 6’1” 211lbs SS

96 tackles, 3.5 TFL, 2 sacks, 1 INT

4.59p (40), 17 (BP), 38 (VJ), 132 (BJ), 7.09 (3 cone), 4.38 (20)

2 (52) Deion Jones 6’1” 222lbs OLB

100 tackles, 12.5 TFL, 5 sacks, 2 INT, 3 PD

4.59c and 4.38p (40), 18 (BP), 35.5 (VJ), 120 (BJ), 7.13 (3 cone), 4.26 (20)

Lots of pundits, fans, MB members

1 (17) Darron Lee 6’1” 232lbs OLB

66 tackles, 11 TFL, 4.5 sacks, 1 INT, 2 PD

4.47c (40), 17 (BP), 35.5 (VJ), 133 (BJ), 7.12 (3 cone), 4.20 (20)

2 (50) Su’a Cravens 6’1” 226lbs SS/OLB

86 tackles, 15 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 2 INT, 6 PD

4.65p (40), 16 (BP), 30.5 (VJ), 114 (BJ), 6.92 (3 cone), 4.42 (20)

I think its clear that we thought the value that Neal brings to our team was significantly higher than that of any other safety in this draft class...when we made that decision, I think we didnt see a significant difference in play and athleticism betwen Darron Lee and Deion Jones...whether we got Darron Lee or not, both would be playing WLB and either be a day 1 starter or a backup (however coaches view) and whoever our S pick was going to be, is a day 1 starter....

We got faster, more phsyical, leadership, competitiveness, guys that played against tough competition, and one more thing a lot of folks aren't talking about...POTENTIAL and HIGH CEILING.....I think we have finally moved away from the "safe" pick...Keanu only has 2.5 years of starting experience....Deion only started one year...in those two players, we are getting superb athleticism, competitiveness, leadership, and lots of potential to develop!!!!

That's just my $0.02...

59 minutes ago, HaRdH3ad said:

Media speaks on players in general, not necessarily what as best for our system. DQ knows what's best for our system

Very good point. I think DQ got what he wanted for his defense...and got another piece to help Matt Ryan in the red zone...

We were last in the league giving up the most rec. to TEs and RBs....so we got a SS and OLB that can cover to address that area (which will help our overall defense)

We struggled in teh red zone last year, so we added the best OC in the league and got Matt another red zone target in two TE sets (more common in the red zone)

1 hour ago, HaRdH3ad said:

Media speaks on players in general, not necessarily what as best for our system. DQ knows what's best for our system

In fact, a lot of times the media "experts" will make comments about the Falcons that reflect a gross misunderstanding of our scheme and then criticize a pick based on their ignorance of what we are doing here.

29 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Very good point. I think DQ got what he wanted for his defense...and got another piece to help Matt Ryan in the red zone...

We were last in the league giving up the most rec. to TEs and RBs....so we got a SS and OLB that can cover to address that area (which will help our overall defense)

We struggled in teh red zone last year, so we added the best OC in the league and got Matt another red zone target in two TE sets (more common in the red zone)

Yep, especially the TE helping us in the red zone. He can block and he can catch the ball at the high point real well with good height, long arms and enormous, strong hands. When he's in game in red zone teams will have no idea if we are running or passing so they won't know exactly which defensive personnel to line up against us with. Definitely going to help us in the red zone.

He'll also help us match up better against certain defensive personnel. If a defense isn't good at covering TEs coming out of the backfield, he'll be a deadly weapon against them.

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

Yep, especially the TE helping us in the red zone. He can block and he can catch the ball at the high point real well with enormous, strong hands. When he's in game in red zone teams will have no idea if we are running or passing so they won't know exactly which defensive personnel to line up against us with. Definitely going to help us in the red zone.

I think that high point ability really hurt us last year....Tamme is a tad shorter and really doesnt have ups or a great "jump ball" or high point guy...I think that is one aspect we lost from TG88...with Hooper, we get it back...

Tamme is a great chain mover in the middle of the field, but he is not a red zone TE...its clear that we thought we would get that with Tioloilo, but his hands are awful and he really isnt a good jump ball/high point TE...

I'm really excited for Hooper...I dont want to put him in the same category, but watching Hooper catch the ball in traffic reminds me of TG and especially Gronk...

Look at the athleticism comparison:

Hooper 6'4" 254lbs....33.75" arms and 10.63" hands

4.72 (40), 4.32 (ss), 7.00 (3c), 33 (VJ), 11'7" (BJ)

Gronkowski 6'6" 259lbs.....34.25" arms and 10.75" hands

4.61 (40), 4.47 (ss), 7.18 (3c), 35 (VJ), 9'11" (BJ)

Hooper is a little slower in his straight line speed, but quicker, which I think leads to better cuts/breaks in routes and his jump ball skills (power in lower body) seems better...

It would not surprise me if Hooper ended up being the best pick fro this draft class...

Folks need to get excited, especially if they havent heard of Hooper before...

30 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Yep, especially the TE helping us in the red zone. He can block and he can catch the ball at the high point real well with good height, long arms and enormous, strong hands. When he's in game in red zone teams will have no idea if we are running or passing so they won't know exactly which defensive personnel to line up against us with. Definitely going to help us in the red zone.

He'll also help us match up better against certain defensive personnel. If a defense isn't good at covering TEs coming out of the backfield, he'll be a deadly weapon against them.

I thought the same about not tipping pass vs run, and not just in the red zone. We can now run 2TE packages (12 personnel) and either mash fools in the run game or send 4 receivers downfield. Add in shifts to catch the defense in mismatches and I am loving the Hooper pick. 

39 minutes ago, gazoo said:

In fact, a lot of times the media "experts" will make comments about the Falcons that reflect a gross misunderstanding of our scheme and then criticize a pick based on their ignorance of what we are doing here.

Exactly Mann, exactly. They are so blind. You nailed it right on the head 

10 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I thought the same about not tipping pass vs run, and not just in the red zone. We can now run 2TE packages (12 personnel) and either mash fools in the run game or send 4 receivers downfield. Add in shifts to catch the defense in mismatches and I am loving the Hooper pick. 

When I saw the highlight film of him, the dude catches a lot of TD passes and he catches at the highest point a lot, even with defenders draped all over him. Even if he catches ball on the 2 yard line he has the strength to drag a coule of defenders into the end zone with him.

Matt The Ice Man Ryan brings up a really good point about Tammies limitations in the red zone. I don't recall ever seeing Tammie leap up over defenders and catch the ball at the high point, he's great in between the 20's running routes and catching the ball in open field, but he had only 1 TD catch last year here. Very limited in red zone, and Hooper excels here.

When you consider the addition of Alex Mack at center really helping our running and passing games by lining guys up right and holding the pocket, the addition of Sanu and Hooper in the passing game to go along with a rushing attack that was already pretty good last year, getting Coleman back, this offense could take off with most guys coming back in their second years in it. Mack and Sanu have experience in this offense so their learning curves won't be steep.

im really stoked about getting a player like Hooper deep  in the 3rd round when he was projected by many to go in the second round.